Starting March 5th

I started the same day as you! It's my 3rd round, and it really helps that I know what to expect. This time around, the food is easier, as I've found things I like, and have a better idea how to structure my days. Days 2 & 3 were very headachey. And today is Kill All The Things. I think I'll just keep to myself at work (helps to be in a back corner!), and it'll be fine!

So far, I am ok.  I have been on other elimination diets and I do alright so long as I have healthy food around me all the time.  I have been in a slow process of cutting foods out over the last 3 years.  I started with gluten, then caffeine, then dairy, then night shades.  The biggest and hardest one for me to quit is the sugar.  Where I tend to falter is in getting too hungry, letting my blood sugar drop and then binging on sugar or dairy or anything I can get my hands on (usually chocolate or ice cream, but it could be healthy stuff like prunes or mango or any sugar).  Then I get into the F it attitude and could be on a bender for days, weeks, months.  I am trying to surrender to this process and accept that I cannot eat sugar like a normal person.  It is poison and like a drug to me.  I am on further assignment from my Naturopathic doctor to monitor my blood sugar by only having fruit with fats, like meat or nuts to stabilize my blood sugar and help with cravings.  I have quit many things in my life, but sugar seems to be the hardest thing ever.  It brings out all kinds of emotions and things that are unresolved from my childhood.  It seems to go much deeper for me than just the food I eat.... It's more like the way I take car of my body reflects my emotional tone and self sabotage.  <sigh>  I keep trying to remind myself that I am doing this because I want to take good care of myself and feel better.  I need discipline and structure, which are not on my list of favorite things in life.  I am very grateful to know that there are others on this journey with me.  Sometimes I get on a self pity spree about why this is happening to me.  I hope you all are able to stay optimistic and be patient and gentle with yourselves too.  

I started March 5th too! I feel great! My stomach feels great! I've been peeing a lot at night, but read that can be normal. No headaches or anything bad. I removed gluten about a year and a half ago, and dairy about 8 months ago after food sensitivity testing. Sugar has been my monster! But haven't really had many since starting whole30. When I do they just last a min or 2. And in that time I just get busy doing something. I really hope this helps my Hashimoto's and other health problems.

So glad others started the same day!  We can do this!! I'm new to this site. I've been busy reading It Starts With Food and the website.  By the way, I'm a 48 yo mom with 2 sons, living in Indiana.  And I will be posting some on Instagram during this month. If you follow me there let me know you're from this site so I don't think you're one of those people who follows to try to seek me stuff. Katie_dean512

14 hours ago, Rebecca78 said:

I have quit many things in my life, but sugar seems to be the hardest thing ever.  It brings out all kinds of emotions and things that are unresolved from my childhood.  It seems to go much deeper for me than just the food I eat.... It's more like the way I take car of my body reflects my emotional tone and self sabotage.  <sigh>  I keep trying to remind myself that I am doing this because I want to take good care of myself and feel better.  I need discipline and structure, which are not on my list of favorite things in life.  I am very grateful to know that there are others on this journey with me.  Sometimes I get on a self pity spree about why this is happening to me.  I hope you all are able to stay optimistic and be patient and gentle with yourselves too.  

@Rebecca78 I'm right there with you. I quit smoking years ago and never looked back. I don't miss alcohol during W30. I can go without grains. But the sugar gets me every time. It's tough. And it doesn't help that so often, people don't take our struggle seriously. But I've learned how serious it really is!

By way of introduction, I'm 59 (aaack, turning 60 in July!!!), divorced, I have two grown daughters, and live in Milwaukee. @Eye of the Tiger, we're practically neighbors! LOL My struggle with this third round is to keep on track after the 30 is over. I already know what foods I can let back in (1/2 & 1/2, butter), and what foods I should stay away from (grains, sugar, most dairy). But I've gone back to them after my W30 was over. I don't want to go there again. I want to be the healthiest 60 I can be!

I agree that it is difficult getting people to understand and support this lifestyle.  I live south of Seattle and am 38 with Hashimoto's and other autoimmune disorders that have caused most of my hair to fall out.  My husband and daughter are aware that food is the culprit, but they continue to eat things in front of me like ice cream and cookies and chocolate, making it so difficult for me to stay on track in the long term.  I don't want to make them feel guilty or like they have to quit everything also.  I find that I break down during special events like Christmas and birthdays, because I want to join in with the social circles and be "normal".  It makes me really emotional to feel left out and deprived.  I have noticed since starting the Whole30 that I have a lonely feeling even though I am around people all the time.  It has been hard for me to accept that I really need to be on this eating plan the rest of my life and that the sugary treats do not equal love or comfort or fulfillment.  I am working on finding other ways to self soothe, including running, meditation, yoga, and support from others.  Thank you for being there for me.  I know that I am going to need support at times as we move ahead.  

6 hours ago, Rebecca78 said:

I agree that it is difficult getting people to understand and support this lifestyle.  I live south of Seattle and am 38 with Hashimoto's and other autoimmune disorders that have caused most of my hair to fall out.  My husband and daughter are aware that food is the culprit, but they continue to eat things in front of me like ice cream and cookies and chocolate, making it so difficult for me to stay on track in the long term.  I don't want to make them feel guilty or like they have to quit everything also.  I find that I break down during special events like Christmas and birthdays, because I want to join in with the social circles and be "normal".  It makes me really emotional to feel left out and deprived.  I have noticed since starting the Whole30 that I have a lonely feeling even though I am around people all the time.  It has been hard for me to accept that I really need to be on this eating plan the rest of my life and that the sugary treats do not equal love or comfort or fulfillment.  I am working on finding other ways to self soothe, including running, meditation, yoga, and support from others.  Thank you for being there for me.  I know that I am going to need support at times as we move ahead.  

Hi! Have you read It Starts With Food or read any of the posts about after the 30 days? Whole30 is not supposed to be followed for a lifetime.  I have Hashimoto's and other health issues as well. I've been strictly gluten free for a year and a half, and dairy free for 8 months. But I think sugar affects me the worst.  When I gave up dairy my acid reflux almost completely disappeared. I just want to heal my gut and then slowly do the reintroduction plan to find out my main culprits, make better informed decisions, have "food freedom" and still enjoy an occasional treat. But more than anything, I want to feel good and live longer. We can do this!

By the way, I was so tired that I forgot to turn my slow cooker on this morning. Luckily I was going to roast the veggies separately, as now I have spoiled meat. :(

At times like these, I'm glad that I only have to cook for me. That enables me to make whatever I need, and not have to worry about whether anybody else likes it or not. Sounds kind of selfish, but that really works for me right now. 

Sucks about the slow cooker and spoiled meat. 

I'm at the "I need a nap" phase of our journey. SO tired! But I have no plans tonight except to post here and a couple other places, and then curl up in bed to read "Food Freedom Forever." I had tried to read it before, but it just didn't speak to me at all. Then a friend at work, who is Whole30-experienced also, suggested maybe it was because I wasn't doing a Whole30 and needed to wait till I was. So I'm giving it another try. I've read the other books too. 

Here's to going through this together!

Yes, I am aware of the reintroduction phase.  Still, I know that there are foods that I cannot ever eat, like gluten and refined sugar (which basically cuts out any of the things that I truly like to eat).  I am off of night shades at this point too and I am looking forward to reintegrating those as well.  At one point I went on a low FODMAP diet and I thought I was going to lose my mind.   That is what took me off the deep end the last time I was on an elimination diet.  Now, I agree that healing the gut is the most important thing.  It could be that when my gut is healed, I will be able to eat things without so much of a harmful reaction.  I made bone broth last week and home made sauerkraut.   I am still waiting for the kraut to stew, and I'm a little nervous that I may not like it; however, it's all in the sake of good health.  I have been reading "Loving yourself to great health: Thoughts & Food? The Ultimate Diet" by Louse Hay.  I think it is helping.  

One more note... This eating plan has been forcing me to cook and I am no Betty Crocker.  I keep trying to look at the cooking adventures like a labor of love in taking care of myself.  I am sorry about your slow cooker, but appreciate the tip so that I try to avoid doing this in the future.

Archived