Coconut milk? Coconot!

MGR

Hi there! It's day 7 and I am ready to throw in the towel on coconut milk. I've tried it in several different forms, and I guess I'm just really sensitive to the coconut flavor, and it's not palatable.  Does anyone know of a substitute for coconut milk that I can use in my soups to give a creamy "feel" without the coconut taste?  Thanks, Forum, for your help!   MGR

I also don't love coconut milk added to my meals, unless they're curries. To get that creamy texture without adding coconut milk to soup, I usually put aside some of the broth and softer veggies before adding the chunkier stuff and meats to my soups. With the pulled-aside broth and cooked onions/zucchini/soft veggies, I whir it in the blender or Cuisinart or with my immersion blender until it's creamy looking and without any visible solid bits, then add it back to the bit pot of soup. Makes the texture smoother without adding coconut flavor.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, frogtox said:

I've also added dried potato flakes...works really well and doesn't alter the flavor. 

Just read the ingredients before using if you're still on the w30. The ones I've seen in the past (Idahoan brand, I think) all contain a ton of stuff not compliant on the Whole 30, particularly soy, milk and wheat.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

Just read the ingredients before using if you're still on the w30. The ones I've seen in the past (Idahoan brand, I think) all contain a ton of stuff not compliant on the Whole 30, particularly soy, milk and wheat.

Good point. I use Bob's Red Mill... ingredients = potatoes only

On 4/3/2017 at 8:36 AM, frogtox said:

Good point. I use Bob's Red Mill... ingredients = potatoes only

I never thought of that!      What a great idea!  I have a dehydrator so I could potentially make my own.  I wonder if I could prank some friends by using purple Okinawan potatos and turning the food funny colors :D

i use mushrooms -- cooked from scratch or out of a can.  The canned Pennsylvania Dutch mushrooms work quite well for this!    I squeeze the liquid out of the mushrooms then blitz in the vitamin or purée in the food processor.   

Archived