Whole 60? Whole 90? How to know when to stop?

Hi All, I'm on Day 58 and wondering, for those of you who did a Whole60 or 90, how you decided when to stop. Whole 30 wasn't a radical change for me since I had been mostly Paleo for the past few years, but I had gotten less and less careful and more and more "treats" were slipping in. As a result of this more binges, feelings of deprivation, cravings etc.  I'm  trying to recover from a really long history of disordered eating.. I've gained weight since starting Whole30  (haven't been on scale but evidence from clothing is clear) which I'm not happy about and am definitely officially overweight... so I'm not where I want to be in that regard though recognize that my eating habits, metabolism etc. might need longer to settle into a sustainable mode that doesn't have me continuing to gain. I'm mostly doing fine eating this way but want to be able to find a way to incorporate things like a glass of wine, some dairy etc..

Those of you who did longer than 30 days, how did you decide when to keep going and when to stop?

I like the original plan in ISWF.  An elimination protocol of 30 days with diagnostic testing - the reintro phase that follows immediately afer 30 days.

Years ago, many were doing 90's, 120's and a few tried the 365.  Those giant month hunk Whole 120's or the 365's resulted in rebound weight gain that matched their original weight losses. Pound for pound.

I am speaking in general here - to anyone,  if it's not consistent, bouncing in and out of Whole 30's, comingled with cycles of  binge eating or simply eating whatever you like, the positive results will be temporary.  

For positive results, positive thyroid and blood sugar numbers to continue, the positive habits and changes have to continue.  It's as simple as that. 

Youth, 20's,  can get away with more than someone in their 30's or 40's or 50's or 60's.

The litmus test for anyone.   If you were getting away with wine, dairy, baked goods, chocolate before Whole 30...then chances are you can get away with them after a Whole 30.

If those didn't work for you before Whole 30 - going longer with giant month hunks of time  - the old symptoms and consequences will come right back. May not be immediately but they'll come back.  Diabetes, hashi's, PCOS, autoimmune disorders...all of it.  

For good results to continue, the good changes have to continue.     

The longer I go, I see the greatest value in creating your own positive food management plan immediately after 30 days/reintro.  Many lose interest in conducting a reintro after long periods of time.  Strike while the griddle is hot.  Hit it, immediately after 30 days.

Then determine what your body can withstand for the long haul. If it's not sustainable after 90 days of elimination, it's not going to last 5 years down the road.

Thanks @MeadowLily.. so what I understand you to be saying is that if you keep going you are, in some way, acting out of dieting/restriction/ binge or bust mentality.. the benefit of starting reintroduction right after 30 days is that it forces you to evaluate what sustainable change will be possible... this makes sense.. I've been starting to feel deprived which is a harbinger of a binge to come, so I'm going to start planning for my reintroduction now.. thank you!

I'm not surmising anything about anyone.  Wouldn't be prudent.  :unsure:

What I am saying, I don't see value in challenging yourself to see how long you can go without eating one non-compliant item.  It's hardly possible.  One non-compliant item and the Whole 30 is over.  It then becomes our plan through that error.

Those that created their plan and did it their way are still standing.  Call it the magic or the beauty of a Whole 30, learning to follow your own arrow.

Those that bounce in and out of W30's, using them as a month of on the W30 wagon and next month, eat all the things then another cycle of make up for binge eating....it comes a revolving door, a swinging saloon door of on and off again everything.  I can hardly think of myself trying to live like that.  I'm consistent, really consistent.  

100% of success is simply showing up.  Consistently.

18 minutes ago, MommyProf said:

If you want some MommyProf rules, you can create them. 

Maybe you want to eat your starchy carbs or any other kind of carbs for breakfast with proteins. Maybe you decide, I'm going to eat them before noon and the rest of the day, I'll stick with proteins, vege/fruits/fats...whatever works for you. 

Perhaps, you can handle some full fat organic dairy or aged cheeses, you decide. Maybe you like going out for Chinese food or Greek, your rules say you can.  Without any guilt. None.

If certain foods trigger binge eating, you don't bring the offenders home.  Your rules, your way.

You become a wise chooser, never a loser and master of all of the consequences. 

Archived