Meat/Acidic foods

Okay, so I have a question. I read ISWF, and I don't remember coming across this topic unless I just completely missed it.

If meat has an acidic effect on the body, is eating meat at all meals really that beneficial? I read an article explaining how your body uses various stored minerals to neutralize acidic foods which carries the posibility of pulling calcium and subsequently possibly promoting Osteoperosis. Being more susceptible to Osteoperosis myself, I am really curious on the argument against this.

With the Whole30, is the idea that I will be eating enough vegetables to counteract the acidity? If so, I am pretty sure I need to up my veggie intake.

Sorry if this is plainly in the book. When reading a ton of "science-y" stuff I tend to zone out a bit.

• Moderators

The Hartwigs talked in their nutritional workshops several years ago about eating to achieve an acid/alkaline balance in the body, but that concept did not make the cut for the book. I am not sure if the concept was discredited or if they just decided there were better ways to present the issues. Regardless, you can be sure that recommending that you eat protein at every meal is based upon the best science available and testing by many thousands of Whole30 participants.

If you eat a palm-size portion of meat and fill the rest of your plate with veggies cooked in a measure of fat the size of your thumb, just like the meal template recommends, your body will be just where it needs to be.

Thank you for the response!

I definitelyI need to eat more vegetables than I am currently eating, and after the acid/alkaline balance reminder I will definitely be doing just that from now on (or, well, after my next grocery store trip).

Archived