Nightshades or OAS? Trying to figure things out

I'm on day 30 of my whole30 but I'm extending to 45 days because I still have some issues to work on.  I started this program with multiple health problems and tons of food allergies and have made great improvements, including identifying some new allergens.  I feel like there are still some issues that could be caused by food so for the next 15 days I want to try to eliminate more stuff, the question is what?  On the one hand, I have serious OAS (oral allergy syndrome) with many known reactions to birch, beech, and ragweed family foods.  I still have some of them in my diet though, so I could go all the way and also eliminate white potato, artichoke, banana, zucchini, almonds, carrots, coriander, celery, parsnips, and peppers.  On the other hand, one of the things I reacted to during my whole 30 was eggplant, a nightshade, and I also have arthritis- which has been recommended to cut out nightshades to reduce symptoms.  That would require cutting potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and most spices.  Of course, I could do both, then do a really, really long reintro to try all these different veggies one at a time...  I am mainly reluctant about the tomatoes, peppers and spices because I use them in everything.  I can't imagine cooking to a whole 30 meal plan without them.

IDK, I may be rambling, I'm just wondering does anyone have experience with multiple food allergies/ OAS/ nightshade issues?  Any advice on doing a VERY restricted w30 (I already have a list of about 3 dozen fruits, veggies, and nuts I can't eat).  thanks!

I always connect to what you're saying, Georgina2. I think it's because I have chronic health issues and food allergies, too (it took me years to realize that bananas aren't suppose to make your mouth sting!). I've been debating whether I've got it in me to give AIP a try.

I have a growing suspicion that nightshades are an issue for me, too. I was just talking to my husband about that last night when I noticed my ankles were quite swollen (just hours after eating half a carton of grape tomatoes). I've noticed the puffy ankles once or twice a week, and it's almost always after nightshade-laden meals.

With my autoimmune history, I should have tried eliminating nightshades as a test a long time ago. In fact, the only reason I haven't done that yet is because so many of my favorite foods fall into that category. It's like I'm just stubbornly avoiding facing facts.

All of which is to say, I'm still not sure if I'm cutting them out right now. But I'm glad you brought up the topic, and I'm interested in your results, should you give further elimination a go.

11 minutes ago, Eccentrica said:

With my autoimmune history, I should have tried eliminating nightshades as a test a long time ago. In fact, the only reason I haven't done that yet is because so many of my favorite foods fall into that category. It's like I'm just stubbornly avoiding facing facts.

OMG this is TOTALLY me.  I use chili spices in EVERYTHING, as well as tomato and potato.

I've thought about doing AIP too.  It's not that much different from w30, just a few more categories of food to add.  But I don't think I could handle it right now.  Maybe if I'm still having issues I'll be up for another program in the summer or fall.

I'm considering doing another Whole30 at the end of the summer -- just to make sure I'm staying on track and to see if anything added back has caused slow-to-develop problems. Maybe I'll do an AIP/Whole30 then. 

Who knows? Maybe our timing will sync up and we'll share that experience here, too.

I've decided to cut out both groups for the next two weeks.  It will probably really suck, but then at least I'll have a better picture when I do my reinto.

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't really reintroduced nightshades or OAS trigger foods because my inflammation definitely got better after I cut them out.  I can recommend removing nightshades as part of your whole30 if you think they are part of your issues.

Archived