Bug out bag

I ink there is a thread for this somewhere but I cannot find it.

this is about emergency food for natural disasters.

I have found plenty of w30 canned stuff to store at home.  but what should I have in my back pack for evacuation on short notice.  I have always stocked it with Cliff bars and hard candy.  I can go to Lara bars and Epic bars. But are there any other suggestions for dense, portable W30 foods I am overlooking?

BTW my bag includes instant coffee.  I am not facing an emergency on no caffeine.

true but also don't' want to be any more physically uncomfortable than we have to be.  functioning bathrooms probably wont' be available or medical care.  we have tp and stomach remedies in there too.  but only a roll of tp

Some of the things you will need in a Bug out Bag are: 

- Large Capacity Backpack 

- Water (between 2 and 4 litres per day) 

- Non-perishable food (I prefer freeze dried food for many reasons) 

- Water purification supplies (tablets or filtration system) 

- Cooking supplies (if needed) 

- Eating utensils 

- First Aid Kit 

- Fire starting kit (matches, flint & steel, etc) 

- Good Survival manual 

- Tent (or Tarp) for shelter 

- Sleeping Bag (or blankets) 

- Maps 

- Flashlight & extra batteries 

- Emergency Radio (hand crank or solar power) 

- Emergency Plan (with contact info, meeting locations) 

- Cash (in Small bills) 

- Weather appropriate clothing (against Hypothermia or Hyperthermia, rain, bugs, etc) 

- Rain Poncho 

- Comfortable footwear (I like hiking or tactical boots myself) 

- Space Blanket 

- Sanitation/Hygiene supplies (Tampons, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc) 

- Crowbar/Folding Shovel 

- Medicine (enough for an extended period) 

- Heavy Duty Zipper-lock Freezer Bags 

- Knife (fixed blade or folder type) 

- Rope (I prefer paracord) 

- Mirror 

- Copies of Identification/Important Papers 

- Food for Pets 

23 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Nice list MeadowLily!  That's very handy!

My husband and I have taken several certified survival courses. We have 4 large backpacks ready at all times.  The mirror is not for beauty but actually sending out distress signals, along with smoke signals.  Yes, we're ready.  

The safest place is right near your home. Two-lane highways, smaller roads will become a nightmare with everyone driving like bats out of hail. It's still good to be ready for anything.  In our case, we're sitting right on top of TNT.  If she blows, we'll be the first to go and the bug out bag....we haven't got the time. 

Those self-contained water purification bottles,  make sure everyone has their own.  I would say that should be at the top of the list.  If the electricity goes out, there's no gasoline being pumped, no water/wastewater treatment systems.  So if your car is running on empty, you're not going very far.  Safer near the homefront. 

• Moderators

I very rarely venture away from my home in general... I work at a hospital and if I go farther than 5km away from my home, it's to other family so that's probably pretty safe :)

I'm going to make a list and a little savings account to get an emergency kit up and ready... assuming that the earthquake doesn't cause me to slip into the river never to be seen from again ;)

Seychelle Stainless Steel Water Bottle With Filter, SCH-09

• Produces up to 100 gallons of filtered water.
  • Replaces over 1500 liters of plastic bottled water.
  • 25oz capacity.
  • Replaceable filter.
  • Durable, high-quality, food grade stainless steel.
  • BPA-free, non-leaching & lead-free.

We are experiencing the worst power outage in Michigan's history and expect several days without power and I have no idea what to eat. Everything in my fridge/freezer is lost and there's not much point going shopping because I can't store food. I don't have anything in my cupboard except a couple cans of tuna. Eating out doesn't really work with W30. So what do?

All of SE Michigan and it's been since Wednesday night. I am lucky enough to have a gas stove so I can cook. All my fridge food is long since lost though I plan to fry up my now defrosted chicken and steaks from the freezer, today.

How did you make out? That meal of fried up chicken and steaks from the defrosted freezer sounds great. If you had any cans of olives and defrosted frozen veggies (or canned veggies, or potatoes, or whatever) that you could sauté up alongside the proteins, you'd be set, and after cooked, they'd stay ok for at least 24 hours of sitting out, longer if you had access to a cooler and either cold weather on the back porch, or to ice. For food safety, the recommended temperature for cooked items is 35-37*F or lower. In a pinch, I've had to use my cooler on the back porch with just the cold weather and shade to keep it cool- stuff stayed good for about three days when the internal temp of the cooler was kept below 40*. But, for safety reasons, you may want to decide for yourself. Or let your nose guide you in case anything smells "off" after awhile.

I ended up cooking all that meat and fish, and I had a ton of frozen peas which I cooked in ghee and ate for about a week!  I don't do canned olives- I get mine fresh from an Italian grocer and threw those out but I felt like the ghee would be okay even out of the fridge and I had some avocados.  I was out of my 30 days so I did have a couple of non-compliant convenience meals- which I ended up regretting- too much cr*p in fast food.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Georgina2 said:

I ended up cooking all that meat and fish, and I had a ton of frozen peas which I cooked in ghee and ate for about a week!  I don't do canned olives- I get mine fresh from an Italian grocer and threw those out but I felt like the ghee would be okay even out of the fridge and I had some avocados.  I was out of my 30 days so I did have a couple of non-compliant convenience meals- which I ended up regretting- too much cr*p in fast food.

Just a note because this reads like you might think peas are compliant... if they're just plain green peas, those are a legume... snap/sugar pod peas are also a legume but more pod than pea and therefore okay... 

I did think peas are compliant, thanks for the correction.  It was past my 30 days so I'm not going to worry about it but that's good information for the future.

Archived