celina's whole 30

celinam

Ok...I'm a bit behind on my whole 30 blog...

So far so good. I haven't had any real withdrawals. I have spent the past couple of days thinking of cheese and dairy... and carrot cakes. Must not forget the carrot cake. As of today...I think I would like to reintroduce dairy first. I haven't really missed anything else. Let's see how I feel after the 40 days. (Whole 30 Lent + I may be on it for the Whole 90).

Still a bit tired. Haven't had any energy spikes. I've just been sleepy. Not sure if that's due to my body adjusting to not having sweets (cookies, chocolate candy) or if its the blah weather we've been having lately. Hopefully I will get a bit of energy next week.

Workouts - Last week I just went on either walked a mile on the treadmill, or spent 30 min. or so on the elliptical. Wasn't ready to start lifting. I did however go lift last night. I felt ok. Not any stronger but not any weaker. I did take it easy. Afterwards had 2 eggs over easy w/chicken spinach garlic sausage.

Day 6 - ALMOST 1 WEEK!!

Breakfast - scrambled eggs + sauté mushroom + chicken spinach garlic sausage. 1 pear.

Lunch - steak + oven baked French fries + steamed spinach.

Dinner - the same as lunch (I have to work the late shift)

I can totally identify with the lack of energy around sugar withdrawal. It took me close to three weeks to detox from sugar on my first Whole30, and because it was so difficult for me, I've never gone back to sugar. 

This is my second and I, too, am hoping to extend it through Lent. Good luck on your journey - on to day 8!

Yay!!! I finished my first week of Whole 30!!!

So far so good. I feel good. Not to tired and no real cravings. I'm happy.

I noticed today that my pants seems to be a bit looser in the legs and my stomach looks flatter. Not so bloated and my acid reflux seems to have gone away. I always thought it acted up because I was eating beef (usually when it acts up)  and I've been eating beef the past couple of days and nada. Yay. 

Night Workout - 20 min. on the elliptical followed by an hour lifting moderate to heavy weights - Total Body. Been wearing my heart monitor to keep track of my heat zones. When my heart gets to 65% of my max or so I start another set. Sometimes I get my heart pumping while other times no so much. I may need to increase the weight or try another move that works the same muscle. 

Day 7 - 

Breakfast - Chicken Ropa Vieja + pear.

Lunch - Steak with oven baked fries + steamed broccoli + pico over it all.

Dinner - 3 eggs over easy with chicken spinach garlic sausage + home made mayo with garlic. 

I'm not much for meal planning. I generally have an idea of what I want the next day and make it that night before.

So far for tomorrow....Cooked balsamic basil beef burgers. Mixed red onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes with red wine vinegar + olive oil with italian seasoning. Mixed a small fruit salad of watermelon + strawberries + blue berries + black berries. 

Dinner is going to be something out of ground chicken.... currently thinking buffalo chicken burgers with sweet potato oven fries. 

Ok....Had my first meal out since starting my Whole 30 last week. It was ok. Had a burger no bun with a side salad with red wine vinegar + oil.

I wonder if I'm going to have to stick with burgers no bun whenever I go out. I hope not but if that's it... ok.

First off... I do not like Daylights savings. It makes me cranky and sleepy.

Other than that, so far so good. I've been focusing on what I can eat compared to what I can't.  I haven't noticed any slump in my workouts since I re-started last week. I did notice an increase of energy at the gym on Saturday while working out. Prior to going to the gym I ate a Buffalo Chicken burger with a banana.  This sure gave me some energy!

After looking thru the W30 Forum yesterday, I went to Chipotle for dinner. Had their Carnitas bowl w/ lettuce, guacamole, pico, and red salsa. It was good and I didn't feel like I was going to explode when I was done :) 

I've truly been happy experimenting with food and coming up with new meals.  Kind of hesitant to eat out. I've had a burger no bun. It was ok, but I would have rather eaten something I made myself. I'm suppose to go out with some friends tomorrow to a local Mexican restaurant. I'm kind of nervous. Looked thru their menu. Almost everything is in a marinade. Which I don't mind....as long as there is no soy, sugar or dairy in the marinade. I may end up eating something before.

Day 12

Breakfast - Egg Salad with homemade mayo and celery. Sweet potato smash with coconut cream and pecans. Glass of Orange Juice

Lunch - Salad with Roast beef, lettuce, carrots, and tomato with balsamic vinaigrette

PWO - Buffalo Chicken burger (chicken, carrots, celery, Franks hot sauce) and a Banana.

Dinner - Chipotle Bowl - Lettuce, Carnitas, Pico, Red Salsa, and Guacamole.

Day 13

Breakfast - Mexican Chorizo with eggs and potato. Glass orange juice. Coffee with coconut cream.

Lunch / Dinner - Deconstructed Egg Roll - Ground pork, Cole Slaw mix + a bunch of seasonings (coconut aminos, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic, onions, sesame seeds, salt and pepper) 

Onward on my Whole 30 journey :)

Day 19

I haven't really had any issues. Thankfully I didn't have any real withdrawal issues. Which was weird since I was expecting something.  Prior to beginning my Whole 30 I had been drinking Big Red's and eating sweets (Tiff Treats, Carrot Cake etc.) Maybe my previous sugar detox / gym detox helped.    

I've been sticking to what I can have and not really thinking of what I can't have. I've been going out to restaurants with friends after work. To keep myself compliant, I just make sure to eat something prior to going out and stick to water w/lemon or tea w/lemon. Which I never thought I would have liked. I was a sweet tea, 4 to 5 stevia packet women for a LONG time. Its nice to know that I can have tea etc. without the added sugar.

Recently found this new sea salt spice mix at the local grocery store that is FANTASTIC! I seasoned chicken tenders with it twice last week and once on chicken wings.

Yesterday (Day 18) meals...

Breakfast - 2 eggs over easy with 1 chicken tender. Coffee with unsweetened Silk coconut milk. Orange juice.

Between meals at work - watermelon with black berries. (not the best but I need something before my lunch break)

Lunch - 2 chicken tenders, home fries, homemade coleslaw made with homemade mayo, white vinegar, celery seed, lemon juice, salt & pepper.

Dinner - salad - lettuce, tomato, green onion, cucumber, chicken tenders, balsamic vinaigrette.

Today (Day 19)...

Breakfast - 2 eggs over easy, banana, coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - salad - beef fajita meat (seasoned with a Mediterranean spiced sea salt mix), lettuce, salsa (w30 compliant) and guacamole. Watermelon and black berries. Unsweet tea with lemon.

Dinner - TBD but I'm thinking homemade chicken burgers with oven baked cauliflower (almost burnt - LOVE the dark bits)

• 2 weeks later...

Onward I go...

Day 28.... I'm actually ok. I've found that I enjoy eating W30 and cooking new foods (who knew it was so easy to make mayo). I originally planned on doing a W40 but hasve decided to do a W60, see how I feel and either continue on for another 30 days or slowly reintroduce food back into my diet. I think I'm going to stay paleo or primal depending on how my body reacts to food.

The next 30 days I plan on eating more veggies. Or, planning my meals around vegetables and not just protein and limiting my starchy vegetables.

Breakfast - Chorizo with egg + banana. (need to work on adding veggies to breakfast)

Lunch - Salad (mixed greens, spinach, green onion, cherry tomatoes, pecans, grilled chicken + homemade balsamic vinaigrette), and grapes.

Dinner - (As of know...) Grilled Steak with sauté spinach and oven baked French fries.  

YEAH!! I've been on the whole 30 for 30 days!!! I originally was doing the whole 40 (lent) but have decided to go for another 30 days. After which I will see how I feel and what my relationship with food looks like. 

The next 30 days I want to eat more vegetables. Protein is not a problem. And I want to start lifting heavier weights plus longer cardio sessions. I haven't really  had any issues with fatigue or not wanting to go to the gym.  Because I was focusing on changing my eating habits and what I was eating. I was going easy at the gym. I still lifted 3x week and did some form of cardio 5x week but I wasn't pushing myself to lift heavier weights  

I think I have a better idea as to what to eat and what not to eat for the next 30 days. The only thing I'm missing is dairy. Everything else I'm ok without. 

So... for the next 30 days I want to focus more so on my lifting, making sure I am pushing myself. Have my meals revolve around veggies and not protein. Control my fruit intake ( I usually stick to 2-3 servings and always with meal) and drink more water.

• 4 weeks later...

Day 57 .... Still going strong. I've come to the realization that as long as I keep it simple, I'm fine. 

Three more days till my self imposed Whole 60. I feel good. I don't have any weird cravings and am ok eating three meals a day instead of my normal five (3 meals and 2 snacks). So far I don't really miss anything that I've excluded from my meals. I don't miss the sugar, nor the grains, dairy, legumes and alcohol. Sound weird huh! At first I was like "Ok, once this is over I will have some rice or corn to see how my body reacts" (sushi or tacos) but I'm ok. I don't miss anything yet. I'm eating plenty of protein, veggies and fruit. Not really into nuts.

I do miss carrot cake but that's something that I plan on having on a special occasion in a couple of months. And I do realize that my body may not like it but we will see... I want to continue eating W30/Paleo. If I do bring anything back it  will be sugar. NOT because I miss sweets but because when you go out to eat there is so much sugar out there in different marinades etc.

I don't feel that since I'm about to complete my Whole 60 that I need to jump back in and eat all the food that I know if bad for me. I think I'm going to pick and choose some foods  that are on the no-no list AND that my body won't freak out over and only have them once in awhile. If I don't really miss something why should I bring it back into by daily meals.

Archived