Starting March 12

fritzy

So Day 1 went well. I made a roast chicken with mashed potatoes last night for dinner. I accidentally left too much water in the pot so the potatoes ended up being slightly mushier than I wanted. Also they were slightly flavorless and I definitely missed the butter BUT fortunately, I just used some of the juices left over from the chicken. I was ravenous since I was bad and didn't eat lunch and basically ate two portions. I also was craving wine and something sweet afterwards. Ended up microwaving a sweet potato and that helped with my cravings. Weirdly also really wanted milk I had sitting in my fridge, but poured that down the sink so I wouldn't tempt myself. One of my biggest issues in regular life that will be amplified during this program is that I always want what I can't have.

This morning, besides being hard to wake up (which is normal for me), has been easy. I am working from home today because of the snow we're getting so I am planning on doing some kitchen cleaning/organizing, and then making some egg frittata muffins for breakfast. I am a bit bummed because the recipe called for ham, but I couldn't find a single ham that was not cured in sugar, so they'll just be broccoli. I'm also going to make a slowcooker chicken tikka masala for dinner and I am so excited for that. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning, everyone -- Day 2 for me. Crazy snowstorm here in the Northeast! Last night my husband brought home a bunch of really fantastic wine to ride out the storm with, and it took every ounce of restraint not to take a sip -- but there's my first "victory", I guess... 

Breakfast was a heaping pile of the cabbage I sauteed yesterday, with some eggs and chives -- all cooked in duck fat. Today for lunch I'm having some of the leftover roast chicken from yesterday, and some zucchini noodles -- sauteed with sundried tomatoes and onion. 

@asbren13 -- you said you "missed the butter" in your dinner -- what fat did you use? Ghee is delicious and still has that buttery flavor you're looking for. I have def expanded my pantry of cooking fats since Round 1, and it's made a big difference. The first time, I only used ghee, coconut oil, and olive oil. This time, I also have pork lard, duck fat, goose fat, (compliant) bacon fat, coconut butter, sesame oil, avocado oil... the list goes on! I try to think about the food I'm making when I consider what fat would be the best accompaniment. Also -- try making some spice blends and sauces like the ones you can find in Nom Nom Paleo, Well Fed, or any paleo/W30 food blogs. Or just buy good, compliant spices and sauces -- they bring life to food!

@Danelle, congrats on your commitment to quitting smoking!! You got this!! Are you taking up meditation, or yoga, running, etc to "replace" the soothing feeling you'd get from smoking? On my first W30, I kept a list of activities that were like little "treats" when I felt like I might go off track -- a quick walk, painting my nails, reading a fun article or a chapter of a book, calling a friend, brewing some really nice tea in a beautiful teapot, etc etc... even just coming to this forum and reading stuff. Happy to be here for you when you need encouragement :)

ALSO, MODERATORS: Is there any way to revise the Wiki page for the W30? When you search "whole 30" in Google, it's a little depressing to see it defined as a "fad diet" in the Wikipedia right hand sidebar. I know Wiki pages go through a ton of peer review and it has to be an unbiased description, but still -- it makes me so sad to see it called a "fad diet", which it is not :( It makes it harder for people going through this program too -- when they tell people (like family members) what they're doing, and those people Google it, it's going to look like something potentially harmful or cultish. 

End of day 3 and I think maybe the sugar dragon is rearing it's ugly head. I started getting a headache this afternoon. I also am experiencing a really nasty sore throat but the pollen is high in Eastern KY and I normally have to deal with sore throats and sinus infections until all the trees are in full leaf. I took an allergy pill and can now swallow better. I too have seemed to be hungry all the time even though I'm eating the meal template and then some. Praise the Lord I've not been cranky yet even with some stressful situation I've had to deal with at work. I read the day 3 email and think I will try the nap tomorrow if I can.

22 minutes ago, KYputerlady said:

Praise the Lord I've not been cranky yet even with some stressful situation I've had to deal with at work. I read the day 3 email and think I will try the nap tomorrow if I can.

I'm at the end of Day 3 and the Kill ALL Things has commenced for me. I somehow skipped the hangover phase, but man oh man when someone does something that irritates me its like WW3. I'm trying to relax and not let it get to me, but it's really hard. Good luck with the next couple days! Hopefully it doesn't affect you like it did me. I'm not excited for the next couple of days!

Wow. End of day3 and i was dealing with major head fog. I could barely finish my day at work and had to go for a walk outside. Skipped the gym and was all set for a nap at home BUT i got the energy to whip up some guacamole, fried up some scallops and added a huge salad, which all made me feel great.

I went back to the timeline and i just had to laugh cos it's been pretty accurate for me so far.   

River30 - hey! Respect for turning down the wine!  I like your list of strategies for dealing with cravings - they could come in really handy. And that list of fats, wow. I clarified my own butter as the ghee is so expensive, but i am definitely gonna look for duck fat & lard :P

Morning all! Hope everyone is still going strong! I set reminders in my phone just in case I was in a mood.... and I gotta say optimistic me is really annoying haha! Just Kidding so far I am feeling pretty darn good! I am starting my new work out routine today and still feeling super motivated! 

This mornings reminder should anyone need some extra encouragement! Keep Fighting and stay strong! Remember everything you have to gain from this experience, The outcome far outweighs today's challenges so take it day by day and keep your head up! 

So yesterday I was having some intense snacking cravings when I knew I wasn't hungry, so I am realizing how serious my snacking addiction is. For a brunch I made the broccoli frittata which was a bit too salty, but I've learned my lesson and won't over-add salt. My chicken tikka masala was delicious last night. Afterwards, I indulged in a mashed sweet potato with a bit of cinnamon since I was so close to walking in the snowstorm to get some kind of dessert. 

This morning has been a bit of a struggle. I have a headache and am very irritable. I think I am mashing the hangover and KATT days at the moment. Today was supposed to be a leftovers day, but I don't want three days of chicken so I think I am going to make these bacon and beef burgers with the whole 30 ketchup and roasted potatoes and some kind of veggie. Then I'll have my choice of leftovers for lunch tomorrow to bring to work as well as an easy dinner since I'll have my first session with my trainer since starting my whole 30. 

Is it just me or has anyone else started to feel like they made a terrible decision? Ha thank god I've told literally everyone I know! My pride is what is keeping me going right now since I don't want to tell people I failed! I talked to my parents for like 30 minutes last night when I was about to quit. I know it's only the morning of Day 3, but I am feeling slightly better motivational-wise, but emotionally I am a crank and thank god I am working from home and am away from other people right now!

45 minutes ago, Dannelle said:

This mornings reminder should anyone need some extra encouragement! Keep Fighting and stay strong! Remember everything you have to gain from this experience, The outcome far outweighs today's challenges so take it day by day and keep your head up! 

This is what I keep reminding myself! Definitely appreciate the reminder from someone else in the trenches. Hearing it from my friends while they drink wine and eat cheese just feels really patronizing to me right now haha

:) I am learning there is nothing wrong with going to bed at 8pm on those kind of days! Hang in there  @asbren13  If you can do 30 days of this, just imagine what else you can accomplish!!! Here if you need extra encouragement or just to vent!

Thank you @River30 for your words of encouragement! It is not the fist time I have quit but I am feeling very confident it will be the last!!! I am starting my Yoga/Piyo routine today! 

I have also found Meditation to be my best friend!!! It is a skill that must be practiced and I am not that good at it yet, but when my irritation levels are on 100 it is unbelievable what 5 minutes of mediation can do for you! 

I've got to try meditation! I'm in Day 6 and feel like I'm hitting my stride, although it felt like a chore to eat three eggs for breakfast already. I bought my class pizza for our last day together (I teach a 10-week college class) and didn't even think about eating a piece. It smelled amazing. I love checking in on how everyone else is doing and picking up great tips. It's really important to me to have this support network since my husband is not doing it with me. 

Today is day 4, and I don't really want to KATT...yet anyway. My cycle started yesterday, so that's really saying something. But, oh my goodness, my skin is so clear for this time of month. I still struggle with acne as an adult as hormones surge, but I've noticed there is definitely a relationship between what I'm eating and acne breakouts. The current prime suspect is SUGAR. Glad to be without it...but still have such a sweet tooth. Sweet potatoes are my best friends right now. :) I'm limiting fruit to just two servings a day, and I avoid eating it in the morning.

I don't really feel down or foggy, but I wish my energy level was up a bit. Just dragging a little here...

I am so excited. I have date night on Saturday night and we were planning on going to one of the local hotpot places near me. I wasn't sure if any of their broths would be compliant so I called them up to ask. Turns out one of their broths is literally just water and herbs and spices. Totally compliant! Also same with their meats and veggies! I can't have the noodles or rice though, but that's okay. My gal pal is gluten free so she'll also be limited in her selections so she won't tempt me too much. I told her she could have some wine or sake, but she said she'd hold on that since she didn't want to make me feel bad or tempt me. 

Besides this tiny headache, I'm feeling a lot better emotionally this afternoon as compared to this morning. Probably because work has been super productive and I got the good news about Saturday night. I am going to make the cold trek to the grocery store soon and I'm hoping I don't tempt myself too badly. I might shake things up and go to a different store, but that would involve me digging my car out of the frozen snow and that just sounds miserable. We'll see what I end up doing. Cannot wait for my dinner though!

Quick update. Because I am lazy and the sidewalks are icy, I decided to be super lazy and just place my grocery order via instacart. Expensive, yes, but now I am getting only what I need. I am a terrible shopper because I always end up ignoring my shopping list, so I feel like this was a safe bet for today. Plus I can't deal with other humans in a grocery store at the moment.

Day 3 here. So great to read all these posts -- I'm inspired by everyone's dedication! You are all rockstars.

This morning I was feeling super tired, and really NOT feeling W30. After trekking my kids to school in the ice and snow, all I wanted was one of those amazing almond croissants and coffee from our cute local cafe/bakery. Had a little argument with myself and eventually just made coffee at home. 

To calm my cravings and my cranky mood, I had a tiny spoon of almond butter and coconut butter, waited 10 mins, and then felt amazing. I read somewhere that on this "tired/cranky" day, or whenever cravings hit, to turn to fat instead of fruit. I think it made a huge difference. My first instinct when I got home was to grab a banana, but the almond butter/coconut butter mix was so much more satisfying and didn't leave me wanting more. 

Breakfast was then some eggs scrambled with all of my leftover veggies from yesterday thrown into one pan -- an odd but ultimately delicious mix of shishito peppers, cabbage, and cucumber (!). Weird but it worked. And just now finishing a fantastic lunch of chicken salad -- shredded chicken, homemade mayo, celery, cashew, and a little chopped apple and date. Fantastic. So good, it might be my dinner too, with broccoli and/or sweet potato. 

@asbren13 Good luck with your date night on Saturday and ENJOY! And good for you for calling them up in advance to find out about ingredients -- that's some serious planning right there. I too fear restaurants / eating out on W30 because I hate being "that girl" with all the dietary restrictions. But these days, it's much more accepted ... and if you mention you have an "allergy", you bet those servers will make sure to accommodate you :)

Also, asbren -- I can't stand shopping in most Manhattan grocery stores -- even Whole Foods. These days, most of my food shopping (esp in the winter before our farmer's market opens) is done via FreshDirect and Amazon Fresh. I can take the time to look around at the selection without feeling like I'm blocking someone's path with my big-a** double stroller, and it's much easier to find exactly what I need. 

Day 4: Grocery shopping almost did it for me......never want to do it again lol 

When I woke up this morning I thought I could see small improvements in my skin, but I just took a look again now and my face is very oily! Does anyone know what could be causing this?? Lack of hydration or foods?? 

I made pepperoni rolls (pizza toppings inside a homemade bread crust) for my family, and boy howdy, nothing sounds good now. I have some sweet potatoes cooking in my Instant Pot and I'll add that to...more leftover chicken, I guess. I think I'll make more "perfect burgers" for tomorrow; they are so easy and so yummy. Easy to crumble over a salad the next day and really good to boot. Really craving comfort food tonight, but not caving. I just need my food to finish cooking and I'll be fine.

Day 4 is history with only a slight head ache around 4:30 PM which I knocked out with some BC powders. I sipped Celestial Seasons Tension Tamer tea most of the day which helped a lot. I also think that easing into whole30 just like yo ease out is the key to success.

The other day i took my W30 out on the road and had lunch in a restaurant. It didn't go too well! I'd chosen that particular place as it does a nice piece of salmon and i checked immediately how it was cooked - in olive oil. But the fish turned up with some dodgy white sauce around it and i had to send it back.  It was smiles all round, apologies from me but I really was that awkward person that you're warned will pop up in the restaurant situation.  I did finally get the fish with kale and broccoli on the side but it was a lesson that eating out is super tricky. 

Anyway aspren13, i just want to say congrats for holding firm on your commitment to the W30. I had such a long day yesterday and was so glad that i had those perfect burgers in the freezer when i got home. 

Happy day 5 yall! I can't say I have seen many changes in the mirror and I completely overindulged on roasted potato's last night! In the past that would be enough to say the hell with it for me, BUT I have seen and heard the testimony's of Whole 30 and I am feeling rather optimistic that this is the change I have been needing to make in my life! While I don't see physical changes in the mirror I guess you could say I see the difference in my mood and attitude! 

@MtnGoat HUGE PROP's on your dining out experience! While it stinks being that awkward customer sending food back it is amazing that you did!  I have been avoiding eating out in fear of food envy, but the fish, Kale and Broccoli was a great choice and sounds delicious! 

Day 4! Reading your posts has become part of a great start to my day. 

Like many of you, I don't really see changes in the mirror yet or in my clothes. In fact, I think I look a little bloated.  @alexd8, that's a good question about skin appearance. In yesterday's W30 daily email, they included this important blurb about what to expect around this time:

• Detoxin’: You may be experiencing some physical symptoms; the result of your body starting to heal from the damage done by your old less-healthy food choices. Acne and rashes, worsening allergies, and digestive distress are common during this first week. Sometimes, things get worse before they get better, but know this is a common, even healthy stage as your body starts to heal. Be patient—by the second week, these should be largely resolved.

Anyone have the crazy W30 dreams start yet? Last night, I dreamed I was scarfing down this huge bag of pretzels -- they weren't even good, and at the point when I realized what I was doing, got so upset. Even when I woke up, I had to think for a second: wait, did I really do that? 

This morning I had leftover roasted branzino for breakfast, with some shredded broccoli slaw sauteed in coconut oil. Delicious!! A good reminder for me that breakfast doesn't always have to be egg related. 

So Day 4 for me. I slept 9.5 hours last night. Thank god my job lets me work from home. I hate waking up and struggle with it, but once I decided it was time to get up I honestly felt great! No headaches or fatigue like normal. I am a bit irritable but nothing too major. Also I can't decide if my skin is looking better/feeling softer or if it's just me looking for benefits.

Last night's dinner of (compliant) turkey bacon and beef burgers, roasted potatoes, and broccoli was delicious. I was also slightly bad and snacked on some (compliant) almond butter (which was my first time eating it and damn that was delicious) while I was cooking. I realize that I am trying to break this snacking habit, so I am going to do my best to only incorporate it during my meals and avoid the mindless snacking. I also learned that I am currently not a fan of the Whole30 ketchup, but that's okay since I didn't really need it for my dinner! I am normally a huge ketchup person so it was exciting that I was able to eat a meal without it when in the past I normally would have had a ton of ketchup. 

This morning I thought of breakfast as meal #1 so I had leftover roast chicken and mashed potatoes with some of the leftover au jus from the chicken. It was delicious. Lunch may be the same or some of my leftover chicken tikka masala. This evening will be a real test since I will be going to the gym for the first time since I started Whole30. At least I know I have healthy & delicious meals waiting for me for afterwards! 

Seeing all of you guys who are a day ahead killing it is really inspiring to me! Same with those who are also on the same day. I feel like it's been so nice to read through your posts and get inspiration and support!

Day 4 for me.  I admit nothing that I can eat on Whole30 sounds good.  However, when I do eat, then it's all delicious!  Someone explain that?  I have taken out four or five whole30/paleo cookbooks from the library and every recipe is delicious.  Even my two pre-teen boys love them.  I made turkey burgers with sweet potato fries and roasted Brussels sprouts last night. My 11 year old grated a zucchini for me.  When he found out I was putting that, along with a chopped onion, in the turkey burgers he yelled "nooooo". But then when we ate them he said they were really, really good!  No buns for anyone.  I also made homemade mayonnaise which was easier than I thought.  I cracked an egg in a glass jar, covered it with my soup mixer, added seasoning and avocado oil and puréed it.  Done.  

River30 - no crazy food dreams for me, yet..... 

Dannelle - you inspire me to not quit the whole30.  Please keep posting.  

1 hour ago, River30 said:

@alexd8, that's a good question about skin appearance. In yesterday's W30 daily email, they included this important blurb about what to expect around this time:

• Detoxin’: You may be experiencing some physical symptoms; the result of your body starting to heal from the damage done by your old less-healthy food choices. Acne and rashes, worsening allergies, and digestive distress are common during this first week. Sometimes, things get worse before they get better, but know this is a common, even healthy stage as your body starts to heal. Be patient—by the second week, these should be largely resolved.

Anyone have the crazy W30 dreams start yet? Last night, I dreamed I was scarfing down this huge bag of pretzels -- they weren't even good, and at the point when I realized what I was doing, got so upset. Even when I woke up, I had to think for a second: wait, did I really do that? 

@River30 Ahhh makes sense! I'm not signed up for the daily e-mails, but now I feel like it may have been a mistake. Good info to know! Thanks! Also, didn't have crazy food dreams yet, but I did dream last night that I was 10 pounds lighter then I am now. I haven't stepped on the scale because I'm really trying to redefine my relationship with food, but losing a couple pounds while I'm at it doesn't hurt either :P

I'm on Day 5 right now and the Kill All Things phase seemed to pass yesterday. I just ate breakfast (scrambled eggs with spinach cooked in coconut oil, 1 clementine, 1 kiwi) and feel happy! Yay! Can't complain there. However, I definitely have that mild, dull, lingering headache that I've experienced since Day 1...hope that goes away soon! 

I love checking in on this forum daily, thanks for the motivation and knowing I'm not alone in this journey! love to read everyone else's posts!

ALSO, I've been vegetarian for 9 months and decided yesterday I want to start eating meat again so I had a small piece of chicken last night followed by crazy bloating, but I guess that's from reintroducing food my body isn't used to. Hopefully it won't affect my Whole30 results. 

REPOST from a different thread - thought I would join my fellow March 12-ers.  (Thanks, MtnGoat)  

I heard about this program 3 weeks ago from an 81 year old friend who started her first whole30 about 6 months ago.  I hadn't seen her in about that long, but was visiting her in the hospital as she recovered from a planned surgery to replace her aortic valve.  I walked in the room expecting to see a frail old lady...but instead I found an amazing woman who didn't look at all like she had had open heart surgery two days earlier.  She credits her speedy recovery in part to the Whole30.  Her story is long...but the short of it is she realized 6 months ago that her energy levels were in the dumps, she wasn't sleeping more than 4-5 hours a night, and the future didn't look very bright.  At the encouragement of her daughter, she went whole-hog into Whole30.  I couldn't believe the results.

So...even though I consider myself very healthy, and someone who generally makes very good food choices, I researched this some more and thought that it could be a great way for my slightly round-around-the-middle hubby to jump-start a healthier relationship with food.  And it couldn't hurt me, either!

The whole family jumped on board - me, hubby, 13 yo son, and neice and nephew who are in their 20s.  So far, we haven't had a hard time planning meals and sticking to them (except for the 13 yo who went on a sugar bender yesterday at a school party - and immediately regretted it...), but energy levels have definitely caved for me today.  Phew!

On 3/12/2017 at 4:16 AM, MtnGoat said:

Day 1. I declined a chocolate muffin. So immediately this raises questions from people - are you on a diet? I don't want to discuss my motivations with people that I hardly know and found myself getting a bit defensive. The W30 is not a diet but has anyone got a quick response to describe what it is?!

In the evening i found myself thinking about wine, so i had a cup of tea instead. I think this is going to be an interesting psychology exercise - how to outfox my brain :blink:

I get the psych strategy part - for me, I substitute sparkling water and lime for the wine, and to fill that post-meal snack craving, it is a cup of decaf black tea with lemon.

Good luck!

Archived