Starting March 12

fritzy

Day 5 here and nothing has died yet. Last night I had to apologize to my oldest son for getting snarky with him, and my hubby was purposefully trying to get a rise out of me while prepping dinner for my gang, but I could easily attribute all of that to hormones. I have more energy today; it's bright and sunny outside so that helps. I'm in a bit of a rut with breakfast, but since I'm still enjoying it and feel good afterwards, I'll just keep with it for now.

I really haven't noticed any big changes physically, other than not experiencing my usual acne flair when my cycle hits. But my blood sugar seems stable, and I really don't have any cravings at the moment. All in all, pretty good stuff.

So glad to read everyone's posts, too. Encourages while helping me stay accountable.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 went pretty well. Ate leftovers for every meal, which was pretty delicious. However, I started snacking on my almond butter, which I know is bad since I should only incorporate it in my meals and not use it as a snacking mechanism. I put it in my cabinet since it was out in the open before which made it easier to indulge. No more though! My workout session went okay. Not the best, but not as bad as I was expecting either. I went to bed at an earlier time which was lovely. However, I woke myself up sobbing uncontrollably at like 4am this morning. Why? Oh because I had a dream that I drank an entire cocktail and a sip of another before realizing I was on Whole30 and I felt so guilty. Then when I woke up and realized that was just a dream I almost started crying again, but tears of happiness. The mind is cruel.

This morning I pushed myself to go to the office and brought leftovers from lunch. Hopefully Day 5 goes as smoothly as Days 2-4! (Day 1 I completely forgot lunch so I am not counting that as a smooth day). 

Day 6 is here. I guess I really do like eggs over easy, because I'm sure not sick of them yet. Paired them with half an avocado sprinkled with nutritional yeast and a touch of olive oil. Very satisfying. Last night I had the tikka masala I made for every one before the dairy went in. I should have made caul-rice, but was on auto-pilot and just ate it over spring greens. I mixed my on plan sauce with my W30 mayo to make a dressing. It tasted fine, but my mouth/throat/stomach really didn't want to eat it. I forced it down because I was hungry, but what in the world? Seriously so hard to swallow. Seeing/smelling basmati rice and naan before me at the table didn't help matters much. :)

I've only had one food dream and it was a couple of days ago after I made granola bars for my family. It was so incredibly real...I just mindlessly picked up one of those bars and took a big bite. I remember chewing (with great pleasure!) when the realization hit that I couldn't eat it...I'd have to go back to day 1!! I spit it out, made sure I didn't swallow any of it, and rinsed my mouth out really well. My dreams are rarely even memorable, let alone so real that I could have sworn I'd done it. You're right @asbren13 the mind can play a mean trick.

I feel really good this morning. I made it through days 4-5 without killing anything, so that's a plus. Honestly, I only had a few moments of irritation so counting myself pretty fortunate. We'll see how badly I want a nap later, though. :)

Here's to flexing those willpower muscles. Every day is a day closer to 30.

Yesterday was Day 5 for me and I felt pretty good the entire day until the intense cravings hit me at night. I usually don't go to sleep until 1-1:30am, but I try to have my last meal/more or a snack around 9-10 so it gets pretty tough. I didn't really how little water I was drinking until my body was literally longing for water. I've been drinking 60-70oz everyday (half of my body weight) and I still feel like that's not enough so I chug on! I've been having problems with my bowels aka being constipated...sorry if TMI and I was getting nervous but this morning I felt a lot better. 

Day 6 (today) I woke up at my normal time and made breakfast, sweet potato and red potato in the oven with 2 over easy eggs...mmmm so yummy! I promised myself some potatoes in the morning since last night I was thinking about them. While eating breakfast a wave hit me of sleepiness and even now I feel slightly dazed while writing this post. My eyes feel a little heavier then usual and all I want to do is put my head on a pillow. Sigh...good thing I have lots of homework to get through so I don't have time to nap! 

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!!

Hi all. Day 5 here for me. Past two days have had more work-related frustration than usual -- annoying and sometimes even sad. Feeling a little bit of mild "kill all the things" I guess -- feel like I have a shorter fuse and that I don't have as much patience as usual (hah! ... I don't have a lot to begin with), and that I'm more emotional (double "hah"!). Maybe a good thing the husband is away on business. Trying to work on my response when I get upset -- letting myself feel the emotions, acknowledging it / naming it, and then moving on. Often, it's easier said than done and takes longer than I'd like  . But when I don't just pour myself a glass of wine at the end of the day as part of a chill-out, it's great to come to terms with the things I'm going through, and really experience them / deal with them head-on.

I'm also exhausted, and NEED to start going to sleep much earlier -- my goal for the weekend is to improve this. Going to a yoga class tonight which should help me get my zen and mojo back. 

Sorry for the less-than-uplifting post, all!! 

Happy St. Paddy's Day from NYC! 

Happy day 7 fellow Whole 30ers! Can't believe we have already made it a week! It definitely hasn't been without challenges! After Day 2 I didn't think my family would live to see day 3 let alone 7 :) 

I may be grasping at straws, but I have began to notice minor changes and they feel great! Yesterday I put on a shirt that any other day would make me feel frumpy and "fatter than I chose to believe I was" :lol: But yesterday I feel I pulled it off well! My skin is beginning to look alive again! Not only is my 30 yr old acne disappearing but there seems to be a glow to my skin that I didn't even realize was gone. My appetite has decreased and every meal I make is delicious and keeps me more than satisfied until the next! I have to admit I need to stay away from Potato's of all kinds they are just too yummy!  The Greatest change has been with my mood/attitude. I am loving my new workout routine and looking forward to the next.... WHO AM I??? 

I hope everyone is doing well, I can't wait to hear about challenges and celebrate success's with all of you! 

Oh and I almost forgot... Cigarettes haven't crossed my mind for more than a split second since day 3!!! 

Day 6 is in the books and Day 7 is almost complete. I didn't eat breakfast til late today and was working and got extremely hungry before I got home. I'm thankful I had a boiled egg in the frig to tide me over until I got my lunch ready. Still battling the sinus drainage but definitely feeling more energy. Hope the sleep gets better or at least that my granddaughter sleeps in her own bed tonight. LOL

Day 7 is almost done for me! Past two days haven't been so bad. Snacked a little bit between meals with some fruit and realized how I turn to food when I'm bored. These are habits I'm trying to stop so I'm proud of myself for realizing this. A little tired today, but the weather is awfully gloomy so I usually feel a bit more run down. I'm going back to school tomorrow so I'm nervous about all the temptations around me and sticking through the next 23 days. At home I can control myself easily, but at school my self-control goes down the drain. I'm going to push through and do my best. I really want to finish out these 30 days to prove to myself I can accomplish something like this! 

Can't believe tomorrow is Day 8....I'm excited to conquer the hardest days and kick this Whole30 butt!! I love reading all of your posts. They are super motivating so keep the updates coming!!!!

Busy week, so I haven't had much time to post, but I have stopped in and read all of yours during the week. Thanks for all the positive thoughts and sharing the challenges!

It is the evening of Day 7 for me, and I am feeling pretty good overall. My first day was the worst, I think the kill all things stage hit me early! Had to apologize to the hubby for being so snarky.

Yesterday I was super tired by the evening, but that might have just been end of the work week fatigue. I usually kick back with a glass of wine on Friday evening so the cravings were strong!  Instead, I drank some tea and ate some roasted sweet potatoes. They seriously tasted like dessert to me, so I'm not sure I should try them again! 

Nice work, everyone, on getting through the first week! Good luck with the days ahead. 

Day 6 just finished! Am I the only one who feels like this is so much food?? I'm eating according to the meal template and limiting starchy veggies and fruit, and not really snacking, but I still feel that often I'm not hungry for dinner, but make myself eat a full meal anyway. And then part of me actually feels "guilty" for eating that normal meal, because I wasn't hungry at all -- and in the past, I would have just skipped if I felt so satisfied. I know all the reasons for not skipping meals, but this is one thing I'm struggling with right now. Full disclosure -- had a bout with an eating disorder many years ago, so I'm always aware of those nagging thoughts that can turn disordered. 

Otherwise, I feel good! 

Congrats to everyone on such a successful week! I hope we don't have any attrition aver the next 23 days :) 

Good morning everyone! Day 8 today. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and I hopped right out of bed this morning wide awake and ready for the day. This is amazing, because I am NOT a morning person. Time to do some shopping and prepping today. 

@River30 I also feel like "this is so much food!"  I am eating according to the template as well and rarely snacking. I am, at baseline, pretty sedentary however, so this might be contributing. Just added in some exercise yesterday and plan to stick with it now that my head is a little clearer, and I am experiencing more energy.

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Just finished day 8 and want to say well done to y'all for a great week of motivating posts. I've had a couple of really restless nights but none of those crazy dreams a couple of you mentioned - boy they made me laugh :D

So this weekend i took my W30 hiking. Made sure i had a big breakfast of eggs, greens, sweet potato. Lunch was sardines, veg & fruit with an avocado for emergencies. On the bbq i grilled beef, peppers & courgette and roasted a turnip and onion in the fire. I even had leftovers for my camping breakfast the next morning. I have to confess to feeling very tired and quite hungry when i got home though. 

In summing up my past week i've felt more tired than anything. Haven't had the KATT stage or felt the need to snack but tonight I'm going to bed a bit hungry. I'm not sticking religiously to the plate proportions because i usually go to the gym after work and i haven't yet got into the mindset of a small meal before my workout. Then, when i get home I'm too tired to cook and it's too late to eat a big meal. So I'm trying to figure out a good strategy for that. 

Anyway, stay firm rock stars as we charge into week 2 B)

Hoping it is ok to join up here. I started on the 12th for round 2 and hubby round 1. He is diabetic and I asked him for just 7 days and then evaluate. His blood sugars are down, and he weighed himself and said ok I will stay on this. I am so happy. It is challenging as he hates veggies. We are both retired so no problem wit time to cook. We were all day grazers where we are home most of the time so that is a challenge. Hoping for warm weather so we can get out walking more. On round 1 I got the flu, and thing I missed most was hot cocoa for sore throat. I got used to black coffee and stuck with that. On reintroduction kidney beans about killed me. Otherwise no problem, but did not eat pasta or cold cereal again, Just oatmeal, had wraps a couple time but no bread. Other big challenge for us is that our grand daughter is living with us while going to culinary school and she works in a bakery part time. Went in for the first time yesterday to get her and it smelled so good but we didnt touch or buy a thing.

I did ask hubby today since he is sticking with the program to go thru the cookbook and at least look at the recipes I flagged and maybe try doing a little chopping! Nice to find this thread!

Hi everyone! It's the evening of Day 7, and feel so much better than any other day this week. I feel like my energy level is starting to rise, and I'm not as sluggish or cranky. 

@MtnGoat, I just picked up a few of these "RXbars" -- kinda like Larabars, but they also include egg whites. While not a meal replacement, they would be helpful and better than nothing for those times post-workout when you need to refuel. I'm no moderator (side note -- why don't we have any moderator love on this board??!!) but you might need at least a snack post-workout -- Especially if you are feeling hungry when going to bed. I always have poor/restless sleep when I'm noticeably hungry, so just a thought! Or, have you ever tried Epic Bars? I personally am not a fan, but they are just meat bars (bison, turkey, etc), and w30 compliant. Both are easier to carry around than an avocado!

@nanners, welcome to the board! So great that you got your hubby to join, and amazing that he's seen results already! ... that was honestly my original motivation for doing this -- in the hopes that my hubs would do this too, or at least some of what I was doing would inspire him to change some habits. He's not doing the program with me, but I do think that over the years he's learned some things by osmosis :) 

@Dannelle stay strong!!! Today I was just reheating pizza and chicken parm for the fam, and definitely felt the lure of melty cheese and crispy edges. Ugh. Then, I made some fantastic scrambled eggs with spinach, plus these thyme and garlic-sautéed mushrooms that were EVERYTHING, topped it off with a lil hot sauce -- and was so much more satisfied that I would have been if I caved. 

Eye on the prize!

Day 8 is in the books, Anybody have any ideas for eggs other than scrambled for breakfast. I've had them with onions, peppers, mushrooms, & spinach. My husband smoked salmon last night with baked potato & fresh green beans. Fixed boneless pork chops, asparagus & butternut squash today.  Got sleepy today but had company & couldn't take a nap. Still waiting for the sleep to improve but I am seeing many other improvements in energy & clothes fitting better. A lot of my aches & pains are slowly going away. I just turned 60 last month & don't want to depend on drugs to get me through every day. My goal is to get off my cholesterol meds.

Day 8 almost finishing up here too! This morning I woke up at 9:30 and was surprised I wasn't as groggy as usual (not a morning person) and felt like I had more energy then usual. Finally back at school and went to the gym , feel great! I have 2 cabinets so I split them. One has non-compliant foods that I won't look into and the other as all of my necessities. It was so nice to go grocery shopping today and pick out my favorite fruits and veggies. 

I realized I have had very strong cravings towards the end of the day, but the more days accomplished the easier I feel it is becoming! My acne has gone down, but still there and the bloating is unreal. My stomach looks like a potato, but I think that's normal around this time in the program. Hoping it goes own soon.

@nanners Welcome to the club! Can't wait to hear about your progress with you hubby! :)

@Dannelle I FEEL YOU. Everything has been calling my name recently :ph34r:

@MtnGoat I picked up some Lara bars when I went grocery shopping today. Although I know I shouldn't be snacking when I'm at school sometimes you need something on the go. My favorite is the Apple pie. So yummy!! 

Keep going everyone! WE GOT THIS!

I am waking up to day 9. Thanks

Anyway, i thought it might be good for us to record some 'non-scale victories'. For myself, i'm really pleased by my increasing repertoire in the kitchen. I whipped up some carrot and ginger soup last night and i can see a lot of potential for great soups in the evening. I'm just being so much more adventurous and pulling in a broader range of veg. 

Oh, i seem to have deleted my thanks to @River30 and alexd8 for your suggestions. I am going to have to look out for RX and Larabars. I was just avoiding stuff like that in the W30, assuming they were non-compliant. 

The radio tells me that today is 'international happiness day' so smile :D

This was day 8 for me. Really getting uninspired with food. I am seriously just cooking and eating because I know I need to, but things just don't sound good. Perhaps I'm just used to having strong cravings, feeding those, and getting a nice emotional/physical response. My dinner was chicken salad made with homemade mayo, red wine vinegar, chopped apples and celery; then I ate what was left of the apple. I just don't want to eat any more even though my veggies were making such a small showing. I guess I'm learning to listen to my body's hunger/satiety cues, but I still need to eat. Never thought I'd have this problem. :) I'm still cooking/making separate meals for me which is getting old pretty fast. My self assigned homework is to find a few W30 recipes that make my mouth water and get them on my menu for this week.

NSV: My energy levels are pretty level, but I do feel a bit bloated which I guess is on par for today and tomorrow. Can't wait for clothes to start fitting better. My skin is still pretty clear, and my allergy symptoms fluctuate, but seem better than usual for this time of year. The best NSV so far is that I'm not bowing down to my sugar dragon anymore. Even when I eat sweet potatoes or fruit, my blood sugar seems to stay where it needs to without any sugar slump afterwards.

So glad for this board to come back to and relate with you all. Helps keep me grounded and reminds me why I chose to do this in the first place. Thank you for your posts.

@elaes hey! When i got home last night with my carrots i looked up some W30 recipes on the internet. Nom nom paleo had a great carrot soup with cardamom but i didn't have any in the house. I probably haven't used that ingredient for 20 years but i'm definitely adding it to my shopping list again. 

NSV: one of my hiking buddies is following a free form paleo diet based on her intuition! I had a great chat with her and introduced her to the W30 to help give her eating a bit more structure. Using her hunches, she's not eating enough fat. 

Finally, today my chin is erupting in pimples. No choc in sight, which is the usual culprit. I guess my detox has begun. 

I used the spice mix for the Morroccan chicken in the Whole30 recipe book to cook some chicken thighs for a different take. We did not follow the rest of the recipe, just put them in the oven with baked white and sweet potatoes. We both like it alot.

So days 5-7 went pretty well! I didn't post anything but I was definitely perusing all of your posts for motivation & support.

Friday flew by so quickly and I was so happy that I had my lunch at the office. Definitely made life easier. Dinner was leftovers but then I went out with a friend and we ended up at this bar. She got a cheese platter and it was so tempting, but I behaved myself and got some compliant duck fat brussel sprouts which were not too terrible. The cheese look way more delicious though.

Saturday I had a late brunch of leftover potatoes, broccoli, and a hamburger. Then went to that hot pot place which was delicious. We went to see a movie and not getting snacks was a bit difficult, but once I was in the theater and watching the movie it was much easier to not care.

Sunday I had scrambled eggs cooked in leftover burger fat/juices from the previous day which was amazing. I then did more grocery shopping and had more leftovers. For lunch I made these great paleo/whole30 chicken 'tenders' which were delicious. Dinner was another hamburger, a cinnamon sweet potato mash (which was made with coconut oil and I'm not sure I am a fan). Made lunch for today last night which is going to be some of the leftover chicken tenders, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and leftover sweet potato mash. I had scrambled eggs for breakfast again today.

So this is a funny sidenote, but about a year ago I tried giving up facebook for a month and for some reason I found that way more difficult that I am finding this whole30 program. I mean I deal with annoying cravings every once and awhile and it is difficultish having a social life with this program, but honestly I don't think this is as difficult as I was anticipating. We'll see how I feel by the end of the week though. I am feeling pretty good though if I managed to make it through St. Paddy's Day weekend easily.

Sauteed small sweet potato, 2 eggs scrambled with onions, and compliant sausage for breakfast. Burgers and tater salad for dinner. Will be having either chicken salad or tuna salad for lunch, havent figured out the veggies yet. Well tomatoes and cukes cuz we need to use them up. I need to drink more water though

Archived