Starting March 12

fritzy

Hi all! Today is Day 7 for me - I actually started on March 1st but fell out on Day 13 & restarted. This week I'm making curried lamb meatballs (the recipe was in a comment on a Paleo food blog post... somewhere). I'm also making another batch of Mel Joulwan's Cumin-Roasted Carrots & a tuna salad. 

@elaes, if you're looking for delicious Whole30 recipes, check out Mel Joulwan's Whole30 recipe catalog, Nom Nom Paleo's Whole30 recipe roundup, & @Tom Denham's entire site (he's a moderator here). Tons & tons of excellent recipes!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also started on March 13.  I thought I had introduced myself to the group, but apparently not.   I must have been having a blonde moment! ;)  I completed a Whole 30 in Jan of 2016, and have done several W15 and even a few W3's, but realized I needed to bite the bullet and do it again.  I was having a hard time making it past the halfway mark, but I scheduled this one well (no parties, trips, etc), so I'm confident I'll be able to stick with it.  

I have a huge (for me) NSV to share, one that I didn't even think would/could happen.  I understand that the W30 helps with general inflammation, but I had never really had results that pointed to a change in that.  Until now.  My plantar fasciitis has almost completely gone.  Disappeared.  Vanished.  I tried so many things over the years to fix it.  Different shoes, physical therapy, insoles, ice, and had finally settled on a management technique that involved stretching my feel every day on Yamuna balls.  The balls are small, so I even took them on trips so I could make it through busy sightseeing days.

The week before last, my son and I went to NYC for spring break, and I was stretching my feet several times a day on the Yamuna balls.  I started the W30 the Monday after we got back, and here it is, a week later, and my feet feel fine.

In other NSVs, I've started sleeping so much better and my cheekbones have popped out.  Yay!

Day 9 here! Told my housemates about the program and they're all on board with supporting my goals. Was very happy about this because it's easy for them to offer yummy treats or non-compliant foods if they didn't know. Did 30 minutes of cardio at the gym today then left to help my friend grocery shop. I was surprised how much easier it has become for me to be in the store and not feel like I need to eat everything. I know the hard days are coming soon, but everyday I am excited to see new results whether its in appearance, mood, energy levels, etc. so  I think that's the biggest motivating factor for me :) 

Some NCV: fewer blemishes, headaches have stopped, drinking more water (huge win for me), more energy when waking up, feeling happier overall!!! 

18 hours ago, MtnGoat said:

I am waking up to day 9. Thanks

Anyway, i thought it might be good for us to record some 'non-scale victories'. For myself, i'm really pleased by my increasing repertoire in the kitchen. I whipped up some carrot and ginger soup last night and i can see a lot of potential for great soups in the evening. I'm just being so much more adventurous and pulling in a broader range of veg. 

NSV here:  I am sleeping much better!  I am notorious for middle-of-the-night-novel reading sessions, and so far have slept solid for at least 6 hours every night before waking.  Believe me, this is huge!

mb

Day 9's menu:

Monday, March 20

Breakfast: Spicy tuna cakes and avocado, half a grapefruit, black coffee http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

Lunch: leftover asian sesame noodles (p. 106, w30 cookbook)

Dinner:  Sweet Spicy Italian Sausage and Golden Potato Hash (p.109)

I feel like all I have done for the past week is cook, prepare to cook, or clean up from cooking!  It doesn't help that I have to plan and prep for next week as well, since it is spring break.  It would be too easy to fall down while living in a rental condo that may or may not have the tools I need to make the meals we want....so I am cooking almost all of our meals this week and sticking them in the freezer...

Good Afternoon Day 9! I survived Yesterdays Mammoth Sized Chocolate needing meltdown, but I relied heavily on fruit to get me through so I am not quite sure if that counts as a victory or not... Thank you for the support everyone! 

@elaes I have been making separate meals forever!!!  My Son has always been a picky eater and very underweight as a young child so the Doctor told me to pick and choose my battles and just get the kid to eat.... But Now, You are so right it is old! My only suggestion is make enough for everyone and if they don't want it they are on their own! (+ you'll have leftovers! :)) I just started doing this in attempts to get everyone to start eating healthier with me. Some days it works and some days my kids have cereal for dinner....  :P Takes the stress off me and hopefully they come around fully!

Have you tried Real Plans or Mealime? I Use Mealime as it is truly free with a more affordable upgrade option. I have been getting awesome recipes from the app. The other night I made a Cod Piccata with Roasted Asparagus and my husband said it was the best meal I Have ever made!  So far all meals have taken very minimal prep time and cook within 30 minutes to an hour which is key as some nights the last thing I want to do is cook! 

Day 9 is complete. Still battling the sinus issue. I went to the doctor today because the lymph nodes in my neck were swollen so big It hurt to move my head. Dr thinks it is something viral. I made  meatballs for supper with zucchini noodles and threw the meatballs in Whole30 compliant tomatoe sauce and tomato onion garlic with a little added oregano. My NSV is definitely not being chained to the scale. I used to weigh myself every morning when I got up. I've only had to resort to BC powders twice since starting Whole 30 so I can say I've had few migraines. Hope everyone has a great Day 10. I'm going to make some more mayonaise now. 

Good morning everyone!! So Day 8 was another successful day in the books. I went out to eat at this build your own salad/bowl takeout place and asked the ingredients for everything I chose. Everything was compliant yet I was still nervous that I ate something that wasn't compliant and I'd need to start over again. Then I got a stomachache within 30 minutes after eating. I was so concerned I ate something uncompliant that I called the place and asked again for the ingredients. Again, everything was compliant. I think I just stressed myself out so much I gave myself a stomachache! Once I knew that everything was compliant for sure, I felt much better. I also resisted the temptation of getting a drink since I went to a Plant Night and was surrounded by people drinking, including my date for the evening. 

Day 9 looks like it should be another great day. I am going to make a late breakfast with a burger and a fried egg or side of scrambled eggs. To be determined. Lunch will be some kind of leftovers and dinner will be a garlic chicken cooked in my slow cooker. No crazy plans for tonight so I'll probably work on cleaning my fridge and getting rid of expired leftovers. 

I love seeing how successful everyone is so far! It's so inspiring!

So, my heat has been broken since Sunday and I am hoping that gets fixed soon. However, now my kitchen sink is no longer working and I have a mountain of dishes I need to do before I can start cooking for tonight. I could use a glass of wine, but I honestly think that breaking my whole30 would set me off more than everything else has so far, so I am holding strong. It is so frustrating though that right now I literally cannot clean any dish unless I want to clean them in my bathroom sink or bathtub.

1 hour ago, asbren13 said:

Good morning everyone!! So Day 8 was another successful day in the books. I went out to eat at this build your own salad/bowl takeout place and asked the ingredients for everything I chose. Everything was compliant yet I was still nervous that I ate something that wasn't compliant and I'd need to start over again. Then I got a stomachache within 30 minutes after eating. I was so concerned I ate something uncompliant that I called the place and asked again for the ingredients. Again, everything was compliant. I think I just stressed myself out so much I gave myself a stomachache! Once I knew that everything was compliant for sure, I felt much better. I also resisted the temptation of getting a drink since I went to a Plant Night and was surrounded by people drinking, including my date for the evening. 

Day 9 looks like it should be another great day. I am going to make a late breakfast with a burger and a fried egg or side of scrambled eggs. To be determined. Lunch will be some kind of leftovers and dinner will be a garlic chicken cooked in my slow cooker. No crazy plans for tonight so I'll probably work on cleaning my fridge and getting rid of expired leftovers. 

Maybe they sprayed one of those preservatives on the lettuce. I have had diarrhea in the past from that stuff

Hello friends -- Day 8 ended yesterday!

My meals were not as balanced yesterday -- dinner was cauliflower fried rice and I think could have used more protein ... but it was SO delicious. Big fan of cauliflower.

I wish I could say that longer sleep is one of my NSVs so far, my kids are sabotaging this. I've been going to bed earlier and earlier, but now one or both of them will wake up in the middle of the night crying for various reasons -- which they never do. So I've been having horrible sleep for two past few days, despite my best efforts :/

I think my baby is going through a growth spurt -- she seems to be nursing soooo much more than usual (And in middle of the night) ... and part of me is wondering if W30 is affecting my milk supply. I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough fat though --which is the big thing they always tell you, and drinking about 60oz of water a day. 

Other NSVs -- I feel sharper at work, have more energy with the kids, and typically don't feel the need to snack between meals.

I had a chocolate-eating W30 dream last night that felt so real -- in fact, I even thought about THIS discussion board during the dream, once I realized what I was doing. I thought -- oh no, now I'm going to have to tell everyone on that board that I cheated!

It's day 10 here. I know that today and tomorrow are the days we're most likely to quit per the W30 timeline, but yesterday was sure a test of willpower for me. Thanks for all of the links to menu ideas, taking a peek at those actually got my my mouth watering again. I picked up some ingredients last night to make some of those delicious looking recipes, so it's fun to have that to look forward to. :)

4 hours ago, asbren13 said:

Maybe they sprayed one of those preservatives on the lettuce. I have had diarrhea in the past from that stuff

10 hours ago, nanners said:

Could be MSG, I used to eat salads when I taught school and kept getting diarrhea. I found out the vendor that sold them the salad mix used MSG so that ended me eating salads from the school cafeteria.

Day 10 is down. I fixed some fresh brussel sprouts I bought at Wal Mart in a package I just popped in the microwave for about 6 minutes after drizzling with olive oil & a little salt & pepper. They were DELICIOUS! My husband got us some bacon from a butcher that didn't have sugar. It will take some getting used to but I think it was a pleasant change. I made ranch dressing for a salad at lunch with tuna & poured some of the dressing over the brussel sprouts for supper. Had leftover meatballs with spaghetti squash for supper. I wear a FitBit that tracks my sleep & had set it to sensitive back in early February because I knew I was not sleeping as long as it said I was. My husband has restless leg syndrome, snores, & has sleep apnea, hence very little sleep when you are achy yourself & toss & turn all night. I pretty much go to bed at the same time every night & get up fairly regularly as well, usually 10ish to 7ish. Well last night for the first time since I set my FitBit to sensitive I got 7 hrs of sleep with only 73 minutes awake & restless. Normally, my awake & restless is in the hundreds. In fact, when I look back at my sleep times they have been increasing every night since day 7. Good night & I hope you have a great day 11 tomorrow.  

Day 10 is done. It was so much better than yesterday! I did make a sloppy joe/chili thing that I put over a sweet potato for dinner and it was so good. I'm going to have to make mayonnaise again, which is kind of fun, but a little time consuming and messy. It's so worth the effort though. 

Had quite a headache earlier this evening, which hasn't been the norm lately. I know the reasons I started W30, but still hope for some scale victories when I'm done with this, too. I guess I'm feeling a bit smaller/thinner, but honestly it's hard to gauge right now...just not enough difference in my clothes to get really excited about. My skin is less reactive/less signs of eczema and itching...so huge bonus there.

Thankful to make it through today with more energy and motivation. Here's to a great night of sleep and a fantastic day tomorrow!

Day 10 done here and so happy!

The Kill All Thing phase happened today and apologies were definitely needed for my boyfriend (who is the nicest guy in the world) so he worked with me. I don't know why, but I just felt super agitated and annoyed at every little thing. I haven't had crazy cravings, just the normal wow some chips would be nice. I ate an apple, clementine, and some raspberries today so a little more fruit then usual, but it kept me sane today. Normally, I eat 2 eggs in the morning with avocado and a piece of fruit or veggies. For lunch and dinner today I had chicken, potatoes with onion, carrots, and pickles!! Super yummy :) Leftovers are awesome! 

NSV: Today was the first day I noticed my bloating was down and I was like wow I can't wait to see what I look like in 20 days. It's been hard not to step on a scale, but I really want to wait out the entire program to do it. 

Excited for Day 11....19 days to go WOO HOO!!!

17 hours ago, River30 said:

My meals were not as balanced yesterday -- dinner was cauliflower fried rice and I think could have used more protein ... but it was SO delicious. Big fan of cauliflower.

I also made a big pan full of cauliflower rice last night. It's so easy to make and goes well with all sorts. But I've nearly emptied the freezer of sloppy joes to eat with it, so this weekend I'm gonna follow some of the recipe links for next week's prep. 

This morning i had a networking breakfast. I wasn't going to risk eating non-compliant food so i thought i'll just eat my usual eggs for breakfast & see what turns up on the buffet. So there was a huge array of pastries, breads, scrambled eggs cooked in what fat, maybe with added milk; bacon & sausages - prob non- compliant. But in the corner i found some smoked salmon, cashews and almonds and some melon & pineapple. A strange assortment for sure, but another meal successfully navigated and another step closer to the goal.

I really appreciate having this forum to keep us all going. Soon we'll be half way!

I just came home from completing a term paper so I figured I would post about my day 11 since it is almost finished! 

This morning I baked some cookies for a friend and after I put them on the plate there was a chocolate chip so my first instinct was to eat it, but on the way to my mouth I realized I couldn't! Boy did that SUCK. I craved cookies all day which I figured would happen anyway since I had to bake them in the morning. Luckily, they aren't in my house so there are no temptations! I was busy most of the day with my paper so I really haven't been having any cravings which I guess is good! 

One thing I noticed is that I got an under the skin pimple right on my chin and I know because its tender and hurts even with a soft touch. Does anyone know if it's still normal for the body to be detoxing at this point or would it be from eating too much fruit? If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them!! I take BC specifically for my under the skin acne and occasionally they will appear when I'm menstruating, but that isn't suppose to happen for another 3 weeks. Just a little annoyed :(

Either way....Day 12 tomorrow! Also, can some clarify what Tiger Blood is?

Day 11 is done. I made sausage this morning and it wasn't half bad, I followed the Perfect Sausage recipe in one of the Whole 30 books, my husband said it needed more salt. I ate a steak, salad, & baked sweet potato at a steak house today. I asked for oil & vinegar for my salad but think the oil was not compliant so I only used the vinegar. I think I ate to much fruit after supper or not enough protein because I got REALLY hungry during church and came home and ate some more of the fish & veggies I had fixed for supper. Didn't sleep as well last night but probably because I was working to late on the computer. It is hard to work from home because you never leave the office. I'm nursing a stone bruise and hope to begin walking again in a few days. The pollen count is still high here and my allergies are not nearly as bad as they usually are. Hope everyone had a great day 11, we are getting close to the halfway point. 

This was day 11 for me. I guess my day that I wanted to throw in the towel was day 9; yesterday and today have been smooth and steady. I just realized that I've only been drinking water since day 1 or 2. It just tastes so good! Weird, but a nice NSV. And tonight I was able to eat the meal I prepared for my family before adding the sauce (and not eating the rice). It was amazing to cook just one time. Tasted pretty amazing to boot. :)

Still can't tell by my clothes if I'm slimming down or not. I think so. Apparently the primary way I've been judging my body is through that darn square thing on the bathroom floor. I used to weigh myself every morning, and I haven't weighed since starting W30. I think I miss the instant feedback. Down=good; up=bad. It's quite a shift in awareness to notice these more subtle changes in my body. Another NSV I've mentioned before, but always nice to remember: my allergies and eczema are pretty calm for this time of year. So nice. 

Keep it up fellow journeyers; every day we are just one more step toward our goal!

9 hours ago, alexd8 said:

Either way....Day 12 tomorrow! Also, can some clarify what Tiger Blood is?

I keep referring back to the timeline to see what's in store for the next few days. It explains that Tiger Blood means different things to different people. For myself I'm hoping that it delivers awesome energy, when i wake early and just wanna jump out of bed and do a 5 mile run. If it's not a dramatic moment like this I'm just gonna sit back, with my glass of sparkling water and lime (thanks GoMommaGo) and congratulate myself on having got my cravings under control. Then I'm just gonna push on and see what happens  :rolleyes:

On 3/21/2017 at 9:34 AM, asbren13 said:

Archived