Starting March 12

fritzy

Day 12 here.Feeling foggy for some reason. Slept great the last 2 nights. Still not getting water in, hard when its so cold out. Yesterday Got some broccoli soup out of the freezer, yum. Ate well but fave thing was roasting some peppers, onions, carrots and broccoli with a drizzle of  olive oil some garlic powder. Very good. Will finish today.

Did anyone watch Melissa Hartwig on DR Oz yesterday? Although it was kind of a short segment, it was good

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I am sorry I haven't been able to be more active on this thread. Staying home with a 2 yo and newborn doesn't leave me much time for logging in to respond to posts, but I do get the email pushes, and I have been reading all of your posts! 

Dannelle, I am so proud of you for giving up cigs and Whole30ing at the same time! I was happy to read that you are doing so well and haven't looked back. That's awesome! 

Elaes, I, too, am only feeling a slight change in how my clothes fit, etc. I can see some "scale success" when I look in the mirror, but not what I was hoping for at this point. (I'm not exactly sure what day I am on, because I have found if I focus on the days, I get caught up in it all too much, but you guys are counting for me! I am somewhere around 12...) Anyhow, I'm just hoping that my body is really adjusting this week, and I am hoping next week will show some bigger improvements physically. 

KYputerlady, I too, usually have horrible seasonal allergies, but this diet does help! I would assume it has something to do with the inflammation in your body, and the food we eat causing more inflammatory effects... anyhow, I have eaten paleo off/on for years, and when I am really on, my seasonal allergies are gone. So, another benefit/NSV!

On that note, I did have a flare up of eczema (very mild) in my inner elbows, which I haven't had in many years, around day 9. It's already drying up and going away, so I am thinking it may have just been part of the detox? Very random. 

As for me - I am still really struggling with sugar cravings. I think it has more to do with habit than anything, but it's been fun, to say the least! <_< At this point right now, all I can think about is how I am going to get a giant mint milkshake on day 31 - but I don't want to be thinking about this. I also still crave my piece of dark chocolate at the end of a long day, after the 2yo is in bed. I have been rewarding myself with sugary treats for a while now, so that habit is still rearing its ugly head. Thankful I am so busy every day with the kiddos and activities, or else I think I would be totally focusing on what I could not have, rather than fueling my body with those things that will give me the energy to keep up! 

Keep up the good work, everyone! You are all doing so well, and I enjoy reading about what you are eating these days, as it inspires me in my daily meal prep. I have been really digging on this balsamic chicken, and it's super easy to make (just make sure you slice the large breasts in half lengthwise, as I find they cook better.) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/8665/braised-balsamic-chicken/

Day 12 and still going strong! Sausage, eggs, & red bell pepper for breakfast, leftover meatballs, tomato sauce & spaghetti squash for lunch. Lamb chops, sweet potato, & carrorts for supper. I'm trying to make some kale chips now. I talked to someone to today that said we probably won't see any real drastic improvements until we get toward the end. She is doing her re-intro and found peanut butter broke her out. My Pastor did it for 45 days and lost at total of 30 pounds. Let keep the ball rolling folks!

On 3/21/2017 at 9:34 AM, asbren13 said:

Good morning everyone!! So Day 8 was another successful day in the books. I went out to eat at this build your own salad/bowl takeout place and asked the ingredients for everything I chose. Everything was compliant yet I was still nervous that I ate something that wasn't compliant and I'd need to start over again. Then I got a stomachache within 30 minutes after eating. I was so concerned I ate something uncompliant that I called the place and asked again for the ingredients. Again, everything was compliant. I think I just stressed myself out so much I gave myself a stomachache! Once I knew that everything was compliant for sure, I felt much better. I also resisted the temptation of getting a drink since I went to a Plant Night and was surrounded by people drinking, including my date for the evening. 

Day 9 looks like it should be another great day. I am going to make a late breakfast with a burger and a fried egg or side of scrambled eggs. To be determined. Lunch will be some kind of leftovers and dinner will be a garlic chicken cooked in my slow cooker. No crazy plans for tonight so I'll probably work on cleaning my fridge and getting rid of expired leftovers. 

I love seeing how successful everyone is so far! It's so inspiring!

Maybe they sprayed one of those preservatives on the lettuce. I have had diarrhea in the past from that stuff

I made the pork meatballs that are in the recipe book, page 102 I think, they are very good! Used them in the Asian zuchinni zoodle dish a couple pages after and we both really liked it.DH does not like veggies so I am excite that he ate it.The meatball recipe is a huge batch so I used my kitchen aid to mix it up. will use the rest of the meatballs today

Now that this has been getting easier and I am in a better routine, I haven't felt the need to post about my experiences. So Days 9-11 went pretty smoothly minus the whole kitchen sink faucet breaking. Fortunately I got a fancier new faucet and it's more powerful than my old one so cleaning dishes has been a breeze! Day 10 was especially exciting since I went to a networking happy hour and I resisted all temptations to get a cocktail or indulge in the fried food everyone else was eating. I nursed a club soda with lime and it was great. I felt so proud of myself for resisting the temptation considering how hungry I was! Last night during my boxing training session though I was definitely dehydrated and had to take it easy. I need to work on upping my water intake.

I think I am starting to get in a rhythm with cooking, meal planning, etc. I am definitely over the initial excitement, but I am enjoying the routine. Day 12 is off to a good start. Lunch will be leftovers from yesterday, but dinner will be awesome. I am going to be making rosemary seared lamb chops, mashed potatoes, and steamed asparagus. 

Some NSVs I have been noticing include: waking up much more easily (I still struggle with the getting motivation to leave my bed, but I am so much more alert than I was before), clothes feeling a bit looser, and just an overall sense of increased positivity and happiness. I am regularly a fairly happy/positive person, but I feel like I have become more positive/happy recently. Can't believe how fast this has been going!

Feeling good heading into Day 13! Had some crazy cystic breakouts yesterday, but they went down this morning. I think it's a combo of stress/anxiety since I was nervous for an event yesterday. I realize I need to learn some de-stressing techniques to calm me down because they hurt and look ugly....I take BC which is suppose to balance my hormones, so I'm definitely thinking stress is the problem. Trying to get all my work done so I can relax a bit.

Had a crazy dream the other night that my professor gave me a kit-kat and I ate it without realizing and it tasted so good, but then a wave of guilt hit me and i was like "WHAT DID I DO!!!" Luckily, I woke up right after that super relieved. 

NSV: Waking up has been so easy (used to always press "snooze"), my face is slimmer (others have noticed), feel lighter!

Some things I'm not so happy about: I've been very cranky and I seem to snap and be more short-tempered then usual. I'm really unhappy about this and definitely need to find ways to cope with my stress. Any tips?

Starting day 13 here. Not as excited as I was in the start, but still hanging on. This is the point I generally give up with any new way of eating/lifestyle change. Checking into this forum and getting the daily emails have helped me to stay focused. It's my husband's birthday today and we will likely go out for dinner. This will be the first time since starting that I have ventured out into the world to eat. Hopefully, the wait staff doesn't get too annoyed with me. ;)

Yesterday, I had a persistent headache all day. Not certain why as I am drinking lots of water and eating according to plan. Perhaps just tension/stress? Glad it is gone today!

I haven't noticed any change in the way my clothes fit yet, but I am staying off the scale. Stalling with weight loss has always caused me to derail, so I am committed to staying away. 

No crazy dreams here yet, but still definitely missing wine and chocolate. On a positive note, I no longer crave bread or cheese. 

Hang in there everyone! 

Holy smokes everyone can you believe its nearly been 2 weeks since we started this journey together! I can't believe how spot on this timeline has been for me. The past couple days I have found myself driving past Taco Bell, Dairy Queen and Wendy's thinking how good it sounds..... It is so weird because it really doesn't sound good at all! I feel like I am craving it because I think I should be craving a burger or melty crunchwrap, but really as soon as the thought pops into my head my conscious kicks in and reminds me that I really do NOT want fast food, at all!  It is greasy, unsatisfying and always leaves me feeling bloated and gassy! And I guess that is the only tool I need. I know how good I feel now and I don't want to ruin it with empty nutrients.  

With that said, I am completely out of fruit in my house and may need to make an emergency pit stop at the grocery store! The Chocolate Cravings haven't completely subsided and I truly have never been a big Chocolate eater unless..... it's that time of the month (sorry male readers, you may want to stop reading here!)

Has anyone else noticed a big fluctuation in their cycle? I typically do not get a period at all because of the IUD, but I have had a heavy period for the last 4 days. Which is completely abnormal for me! Another one of my girlfriends recently finished her Whole 30 and said she has gotten her period 3 times in the last month and a half since starting her journey....... anyone experiencing similar symptoms or have any thoughts on this and why it is happening?

Good morning everyone!! So Day 8 was another successful day in the books. I went out to eat at this build your own salad/bowl takeout place and asked the ingredients for everything I chose. Everything was compliant yet I was still nervous that I ate something that wasn't compliant and I'd need to start over again. Then I got a stomachache within 30 minutes after eating. I was so concerned I ate something uncompliant that I called the place and asked again for the ingredients. Again, everything was compliant. I think I just stressed myself out so much I gave myself a stomachache! Once I knew that everything was compliant for sure, I felt much better. I also resisted the temptation of getting a drink since I went to a Plant Night and was surrounded by people drinking, including my date for the evening. 

Day 9 looks like it should be another great day. I am going to make a late breakfast with a burger and a fried egg or side of scrambled eggs. To be determined. Lunch will be some kind of leftovers and dinner will be a garlic chicken cooked in my slow cooker. No crazy plans for tonight so I'll probably work on cleaning my fridge and getting rid of expired leftovers. 

Maybe they sprayed one of those preservatives on the lettuce. I have had diarrhea in the past from that stuff

Happy Day 13! I was so disappointed today. I had to take my granddaughter to softball practice & thought I'd stop by the store & pickup a rotisserie chicken for supper. WRONG! I got home with it and then discovered it had sugar in it, bummer. It is so amazing how much stuff has hidden sugar in it. I found it a little bit of a struggle to make it past the deli with all the cookies, & cakes laying out calling my name, but I resisted.

I found an app today call Sift that lets you scan bar codes and then tells you what ingredients are in it. I tried to buy ground pork at the store & it had sugar in it too. I to am noticing that I am a bit grouchier than normal. Still waiting for the sleep to improve, the sinus infection to leave, and my foot get better so I can walk. Tomorrow I'm going to mow the grass (push mower) which is my all-time favorite chore. Clothes feel tighter today. 

9 hours ago, alexd8 said:

Some things I'm not so happy about: I've been very cranky and I seem to snap and be more short-tempered then usual. I'm really unhappy about this and definitely need to find ways to cope with my stress. Any tips?

Hey there! I had been feeling this same way -- and also ridiculously TIRED all the time. I didn't know what the problem was (I knew I wasn't having the best sleep, but this was next level)... and then, at my mother in laws house, I ate a sweet potato -- I'm embarrassed to say it was only the second time I had eaten a starchy carb while on this program. I think I thought I was being disciplined but it really is crucial!! It was seriously like a miracle drug. Within the course of the meal, I could feel myself getting my energy back,  getting happier, a headache going away, I was even funnier at the dinner table. Aaah. Eat some starchy carbs! Add some fat and salt! See if that helps -- def helped me, and I'll now be incorporating root veggies more in my daily diet. 

In other news -- I've been traveling the past few days -- it's been a little rough, but here are some travel hacks I've used so far:

- I was without a pan one day but was able to get some eggs -- so microwaved them for less than a minute. Instant omelette!

- At a restaurant -- I noticed the server was not the best (even messing up drink orders). So instead of going with complicated orders like "hold the sauce", change out the sides, etc -- I just went with a steak with a side of steamed veggies, and a salad with olive oil and vinegar on the side. I used a little of the olive oil to top off the steak and veggies too.

- while with family, I made myself very present in the kitchen while cooking was going on, and cooked a few of the dishes myself, so I knew what was in everything. Voila, the entire dinner ended up being W30 friendly, and the host was so grateful for the kitchen help ;)

keep it going, friends! Everyone's doing great.

Day 13...wh..what? Can't believe we've made it almost half way! I made bibimbap (Korean mixed rice) for the family tonight, and it was super easy to make my own bowl W30 style over cauli-rice. A little sesame oil really helped make it yummy. It's almost time for weekend prep...definitely one of the best gifts I can give to myself!

Here's another NSV: I'm actually eating all my veggies before they go bad. ;)

Day 14 has commenced! Can't believe how far into the program we are. I'm still moody and starting to think it also is related to the fact that I can't have chocolate or candy. I lived for sugar before the program and I never had super bad withdrawals the first couple of days, but now I'm thinking this is causing the short-temper and crankiness. 

I just finished the last of my chicken so I'm eating eggs all day, but tomorrow I'll be meal-prepping. I definitely need to go to the grocery store soon since I'm running low on fruits/veggies, but I'm surprised my food has been able to last me 2 weeks. 

I forgot to mention this last time but I noticed my nails are so much stronger which is incredible because I've always been prone to breaking them.

Hope you all enjoy the weekend! 

Has anyone else noticed a big fluctuation in their cycle? I typically do not get a period at all because of the IUD, but I have had a heavy period for the last 4 days. Which is completely abnormal for me! Another one of my girlfriends recently finished her Whole 30 and said she has gotten her period 3 times in the last month and a half since starting her journey....... anyone experiencing similar symptoms or have any thoughts on this and why it is happening?

Whoa, day 15 is in the bag and i can't believe that I am now over halfway. 

I noticed over the weekend that I was hungry a lot of the time and with some unusually rainy weather keeping me in the house my thoughts turned a couple of times to cake and chocolate, which i used to snack on. But I'm too far into the programme to give in to my cravings so I made a super protein salad and a big pile of those cute little pork burgers.  I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to eat more so I am looking again at the recommended portion sizes to keep on track. 

@River30 - i admire your resolve but for myself I'm having to eat quite a lot of starchy carbs to fuel my hiking & gym visits. I even ate some white potatoes the other day which have been on the W30 and paleo bad boy lists for a long time - i don't think I've had any for maybe 2 years or more.  

Anyway, the other evening, as I was gobbling down my food, it suddenly occurred to me to remove the distractions and really concentrate on eating. And you know, that felt like a step change in my approach. I was able to taste all the flavours that I'd put in and I felt more satisfied.

My fridge is just busting with healthy food and I am optimistic that we're all gonna make week 3 a success B). Keep it coming.

Starting day 15. Finally had a food dream. I ate a bite sized Snickers. Somehow, it was accidental in the dream, and I was trying to decide if I really needed to start over. 

@Danelle I have a Mirena IUD as well, and almost never have a cycle. Light spotting for the last 4-5 days. Perhaps nothing to do with W30 as I do experience this rarely.

Is anyone else having trouble getting to sleep at night? I used to never have any issues, but now I am going to bed later and later. Then I wake up early anyway. Having some trouble getting that 8-9 hrs of sleep as my brain and body don't seem to need it. Maybe this is a good thing as one of the main reasons I started W30 was to decrease fatigue.

Nice work on hanging in there everyone. Hope to see all of you continuing to post. 

This is day 15 for me. I am soldiering on, but seriously looking forward to the reintroduction phase. One reason I started W30 was to see if there was a correlation between my food and my increasing skin sensitivities. I can't wait to see if there are any noticeable culprits. That is keeping me from bailing (although I haven't been seriously tempted lately). I don't want to waste how far I've come. Plus, I do really feel better...more focused, more energy, less stressed.

I have a dinner party to attend tomorrow night at someone's house I don't know that well. I'm just asking if our hostess would let me use her microwave to reheat food I bring from home. It's not a formal gathering, but my husband knows most of these folks better than I do. There's only eight people at the event, so really no way to hide the fact I'm not eating. I know it's Italian so there will be pasta and bread, etc., etc. Just typing that out helped steal my resolve to have my own food ready and stay on course.

We're at the half way point! We can do this! Hope you've all had a marvelous weekend.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, Dannelle said:

@DannelleI'm suppose to get my period next Sunday (according to BC schedule) and had some spotting today! I really can't tell if it was stress + losing weight?? But that's my best guess!

Day 15 over and got another compliment on my appearance. So nice to hear especially half way through! I put pants on today that are normally hard to button and when I sit I usually unbutton them, but hey fit so well! I am absolutely amazed! Even more motivation to push through the next 15 days! 

Made some grilled chicken that should last me the next 3-4 days, but also heading to target tomorrow to grab some more fresh veggies and fruits! I don't know the last time I was so excited to do that lol I also realized how I was thinking to myself "wow I could totally keep eating this way after the 30 days are over" Not only do I feel great, but it no longer feels like torture to eat purely delicious fresh foods!!! Yeah I might still want chocolate and chips occasionally, but no where near what it was like before. 

Keep pushing on everyone!!!! SO CLOSE to the end!

My boyfriend started our 1st W30 challenge on the 13th. I like to call it a challenge rather than a diet because that's exactly what this program does..challenges you to change your thoughts of food. We are both finishing our 14th day and each day proves to be different from the last. We went through the "we got this stage", the hangover, the "I am going to kill everything" stage,  and every stage after. My boyfriend felt very lethargic the first week and I dealt with headaches. Around day 9 I realized my body as a whole felt better. No more headaches, no more flatulence, and we both felt rested in the morning. One major change this last week was the 3pm sugar crash was no longer something I dealt with. Internally my body is feeling great!!

But the cravings..oh my the cravings. I dream of Cinnabon, French bread, and chocolate cake. My favorite thing in life is peanut butter and to take that away is killing me. BUT I get past the craving by eating freeze dried fruit and a tablespoon of almond butter. I've become the next Marth Stewart with all my new cooking skills and I've learned to plan meals 2 days ahead at all times. My boyfriend is down 18 lbs. He's keeping us strong and committed. We have done so much research on W30 compliant foods and Whole Foods is our new best friend. This by far is the most challenging form of eating I've ever done but the most rewarding. Tonight we attended a bday party and couldn't stop looking at the cake. So tonight I'm sure I'll dream of cake, with that real sweet buttercream frosting. Goodnight

• Moderators
On 3/21/2017 at 11:24 AM, River30 said:

I think my baby is going through a growth spurt -- she seems to be nursing soooo much more than usual (And in middle of the night) ... and part of me is wondering if W30 is affecting my milk supply. I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough fat though --which is the big thing they always tell you, and drinking about 60oz of water a day. 

I realize this is a little late now, but for nursing moms, the recommendation is to eat four full meals a day, plus extra fat. And the minimum recommendation for anyone is 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, so 60 oz is good for a 120-lb person, but nursing moms often need more than other people. 

On 3/25/2017 at 6:37 PM, Dannelle said:

3 hours ago, alexd8 said:

@DannelleI'm suppose to get my period next Sunday (according to BC schedule) and had some spotting today! I really can't tell if it was stress + losing weight?? But that's my best guess!

It's pretty normal for people to see fluctuations in their period on Whole30. If you eat pretty close to this way over time, it does even back out again, but the first couple of months it can be a little weird. If you look through the Ladies Only section of the forum, you'll find many past discussions of this. 

Archived