Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fritzy

Starting March 12

Recommended Posts

Hmm, somewhere along the way i have missed the recommendation on fluids. I drink a lot of tea - green, black, herbal plus a couple of cups of coffee a day. Do i have to drink water or does my tea etc count towards that 60oz (1.7litre) recommendation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awww Day 16 and halfway seems so awesome. DH says he has a pair of pants that was tight and now comfy, also a couple T shirts that he can wear now too. I have a very thick gut and have to lose alot to go down in pants so not gonna think about that LOL. We are doing great though I think. Got to do some prep, we had bathroom drainage issues over the weekend so the water usage was curtailed quite a bit of the weekend while DH was trying to repair; which is complete yay!

Kudos to all for keeping on. Person who was going to the dinner party, looking forward to how that went. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 16 is here! I found a Best Ever Chicken recipe and it was great only my grill did not get hot enough so I had to finish it in the oven. The Moroccan dipping sauce was great! Last two days I had an emergency situation with one of my clients (I'm a computer tech) and 10 hours working over the weekend. I didn't get home last night until 1 AM and didn't want to eat anything before I went to sleep BUT I paid for that this morning. I got weak trying to fix my granddaughter pancakes before she went to school and had to sit down and eat a grapefruit. First time that has happened to me since I started. I was going to grab a boiled egg but someone else ate it. Lesson learned. I'm hoping to get extra sleep tonight to make up for last night or at least take a nap this afternoon. Happy Day 16, we are on the downhill slide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 16 has dawned! Yesterday my hubby was ill, and when he finally wanted something to eat, all that sounded good to him was my pumpkin bread. I made it for him (makes two loaves), but when he actually got up all he wanted was homemade chocolate chip cookies, so those got made as well. They are my weakness!!! I can seriously gorge myself on the dough and later on the cookies. Talk about food without brakes. I can't believe it, but I have succumb to neither! Around here both versions of baked goodies will be gone within a few days (I have my hubby and three teenagers: 18 & 16 yo sons, and 14 yo daughter); it's better if they aren't around to tempt me in a moment of weakness.

Have a great Monday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

56 minutes ago, elaes said:

when he finally wanted something to eat, all that sounded good to him was my pumpkin bread. I made it for him (makes two loaves), but when he actually got up all he wanted was homemade chocolate chip cookies, so those got made as well. They are my weakness!!! I can seriously gorge myself on the dough and later on the cookies. Talk about food without brakes. I can't believe it, but I have succumb to neither! Around here both versions of baked goodies will be gone within a few days (I have my hubby and three teenagers: 18 & 16 yo sons, and 14 yo daughter); it's better if they aren't around to tempt me in a moment of weakness.

@elaes That would require some SERIOUS strength for me to do. I love pumpkin bread and choco chip cookies! Making them without having any would be torture :wacko:

Bravo! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mariannne said:

 

@elaes That would require some SERIOUS strength for me to do. I love pumpkin bread and choco chip cookies! Making them without having any would be torture :wacko:

Bravo! 

Same here I would want some of both, warm LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went food shopping today and was saddened by how expensive it costs to buy healthy foods that you need to fuel your body! What the heck!!!! But still worth every penny. I am loving having color on my plate and so many veggies and fruits to choose from. Grocery shopping has become a breeze! Looking forward to the reintroduction phase....I don't feel like I really want to go back to the way I was eating before. 

I bought a dozen glazed Krispy Kreme donuts for a fundraiser and they looked/smelled AH-MA-ZING! I gave them to my friends, but boy oh boy was that hard to do. 

Tomorrow is day 17, looking forward to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got home from my dinner party. A huge success in all ways. My hostess was very sweet and hospitable. I was very satisfied with the dinner I brought (just W30 sloppy joes over sweet potatoes) and wasn't really even tempted by the apple pie or pecan pie (one of my favorites!) or the ice cream that went with it. It's not like I could go back on the commitment I told her about, right? So there's the benefit in just telling folks what you're doing. :) I'm sure there are other ways of dealing with a dinner party, but this worked out really well for me, and I'm likely to stick with it if needed in the future.

@alexd8 I don't want to return to the way I was eating before either, but I'm pretty sure that not everything that I'm avoiding right now will need to stay off my personal list forever. (That's what I'm hoping anyway.) Way to go with the donuts (especially hot & fresh KK donuts!)

Honestly, I want what reintroduction will give me...the knowledge of what works right for my body. I am thinking that some of my skin sensitivities aren't related to my diet at all; they are probably environmental. (Otherwise, I'll end up having to pull out other foods over time that W30 doesn't eliminate, like nightshades, etc.). I'm paying close attention;  this is exactly the knowledge that I was looking for.

Blessings to you all! We can do this one day at a time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@elaes great success on the dinner party!! You are so right that it's good to spread the word about what you're doing & why. 

After a long day at work yesterday i had a networking do in the evening. Right from the start the beer and wine was flowing and it sure looked tempting. But as i nursed my sparkling water i got into some interesting conversations about the W30 and how eating real food has delivered health benefits to many - so now a couple more people are gonna go & look it up. 

Tomorrow night the gastro girls are heading for a fish restaurant so this afternoon i'm just gonna check the website to see if there might be compliant food on the menu. Here's hoping. I'll let you know how it goes ^_^

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, elaes said:

Just got home from my dinner party. A huge success in all ways. My hostess was very sweet and hospitable. I was very satisfied with the dinner I brought (just W30 sloppy joes over sweet potatoes) and wasn't really even tempted by the apple pie or pecan pie (one of my favorites!) or the ice cream that went with it. It's not like I could go back on the commitment I told her about, right? So there's the benefit in just telling folks what you're doing. :) I'm sure there are other ways of dealing with a dinner party, but this worked out really well for me, and I'm likely to stick with it if needed in the future.

@alexd8 I don't want to return to the way I was eating before either, but I'm pretty sure that not everything that I'm avoiding right now will need to stay off my personal list forever. (That's what I'm hoping anyway.) Way to go with the donuts (especially hot & fresh KK donuts!)

Honestly, I want what reintroduction will give me...the knowledge of what works right for my body. I am thinking that some of my skin sensitivities aren't related to my diet at all; they are probably environmental. (Otherwise, I'll end up having to pull out other foods over time that W30 doesn't eliminate, like nightshades, etc.). I'm paying close attention;  this is exactly the knowledge that I was looking for.

Blessings to you all! We can do this one day at a time!

Way to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So awesome on the dinner party and the donuts! Sorry I am not quoting, DH has an appointment and we have to leave in 45 min. Gotta make breakfast. We are both doing well I think, so dont want to make a trip to the hospital cafeteria. Will check in later. Oh and the appointment is near an Aldis so gotta go see if there are some new finds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nanners I just went by Aldi today while running errands and found two different packages of plain raw nuts. I picked up the almond/pistachio/pecan mix. The other is macadamia/walnut/cashews. Sure nice to have in a pinch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we went this morning, was out of onions and almost potatoes. They had fresh pineapple for 1.29,the 1lb pkgs of mini carrots .49 each, red grapes, eggs.89. Forget what else I bought. Oh they had unsweetened apple sauce and an organic marinara for 1.99, no sugar or weird stuff. Roasting some veggies and made a stuffed baked taters with pork sausage for dinner

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more meal, and day 17 will be complete!  This week has been a particular challenge since we are in a rental condo on spring break.  The family has been great, though, eating the lunches pack for lunch at the ski lodge, and resisting the temptation to order and eat a monster plate of french fries.  

It was a TON of work to get ready for this week, since I pre-cooked and prepped the majority of our main meals, but it has been worth it - especially to see the 13 yo make it through a full morning of skiing without melting down in a hunger fit!  ;-)

Hang in there, everyone!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2017 at 5:13 AM, nanners said:

I made the pork meatballs that are in the recipe book, page 102 I think, they are very good! Used them in the Asian zuchinni zoodle dish a couple pages after and we both really liked it.DH does not like veggies so I am excite that he ate it.The meatball recipe is a huge batch so I used my kitchen aid to mix it up. will use the rest of the meatballs today

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite recipe in the whole book!  Am planning on making it again next week, when I am reunited with my stash of meatballs in the freezer....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 17 in the bag! I almost messed up at Texas Roadhouse, I ordered a garden salad but forgot to tell them no croutons or cheese. I gave my husband the croutons and picked the cheese out. My hubby said maybe I should do that more often so I would eat slower. Made a chicken salad for lunch with leftover chicken from my baked chicken last night, olives, celery, fresh dill, and of course mayo. I made some sweet potato buns, it was pretty good. So glad the dinner party went well and that you can go on vacation and still Whole30. Like so many others I'm looking forward to the re-intro phase to find out what foods make me feel bad. Definitely feeling more energy and am cleaning up the kitchen at night instead of waiting til morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ShannonM816 thank you so much for the guidance for nursing moms!! That all makes me feel so much better. I do think I've been using more fat than the standard meal template because I've felt the need to do so -- some extra avocado here and there, etc -- and will continue to do so. I'm about 125lbs but will def add more H2O and meals as well.

I just successfully navigated a vacation weekend, complete with multiple restaurants and family obligations -- and it's SUPER inspiring to see all of you doing the same as staying strong (esp you @elaes at your dinner party!). I thought I'd face challenges or weird looks bringing it up to people -- but everyone has been so accommodating, kind, and genuinely interested in learning about the W30 and paleo. 

This weekend I have a fancy work event that pretty much revolves around drinking expensive booze. Since I started  this W30, I was always planning on "off roading" for this event by allowing myself just one drink -- but now, I barely have the desire to do so.

 It will be tough to forego the unlimited champagne and fancy cocktails -- but I'm going to take a lesson from this past weekend and just be totally open about what I'm doing, without shame (which can sometimes come from saying you're on a "diet", which this is not). THEN, I'll have both instant accountability from everyone around me (like you, @elaes) and an easy way to avoid the peer pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2017 at 5:18 AM, MtnGoat said:

Hmm, somewhere along the way i have missed the recommendation on fluids. I drink a lot of tea - green, black, herbal plus a couple of cups of coffee a day. Do i have to drink water or does my tea etc count towards that 60oz (1.7litre) recommendation?

You want to be drinking mostly water, with the other just occasionally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

You want to be drinking mostly water, with the other just occasionally. 

Thanks for clarifying. I'm gonna have to switch my focus then. 

You know, until I started on the W30, with all the guidance on food prep, i would never have thought that i could arrive home at 6.30pm, roast 2 chickens and an oven full of veg, and be back out the door by 8.15pm for my yoga class B)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so excited to have made it to Day 17! I am usually that type of person who gives up after a week or so, but I've been holding strong. I am feeling so proud of myself! I think I slept too much last night and that's why I am feeling a bit more groggy than usual. 

Also @mtngoat, I totally know what you mean! I used to hate making lunches since I thought it took forever. This morning I woke up and realized I forgot to make lunch for myself last night so I whipped up a hamburger, sweet potato mash, and broccoli in like 20 minutes WHILE making my breakfast. It's so awesome! I also am regularly eating breakfast when that was just an occasional morning occurrence.

I am also so impressed with everyone showing such strong resolve at the various parties and temptations that have come up. Part of me attributes my success so far to the fact that I haven't been around too many temptations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 18 is almost done! Currently de-frosting chicken cutlets to make for dinner for the next couple of days! My acne on my chin has stayed pretty bad consistently and I thought it might be my moisturizer so I switched, but it's still not getting better. I thought maybe by the end of Week 3 I would see improvement in my skin, but I still haven't....kind of disappointing. I know some people say you won't see improvements until the very end around Week 4, so I'm still hoping.

 

Way to go everyone! Love reading posts everyday :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, alexd8 said:

Day 18 is almost done! Currently de-frosting chicken cutlets to make for dinner for the next couple of days! My acne on my chin has stayed pretty bad consistently and I thought it might be my moisturizer so I switched, but it's still not getting better. I thought maybe by the end of Week 3 I would see improvement in my skin, but I still haven't....kind of disappointing. I know some people say you won't see improvements until the very end around Week 4, so I'm still hoping.

 

Way to go everyone! Love reading posts everyday :)

@Alexd8, your post just reminded me of Juli Bauer (PaleOMG blogger extraordinaire) at PaleOMG.com. A few years ago she posted about her battles with cystic acne. She had been paleo for quite a while at that point, and desperately trying to rid her face of the acne. I believe the only thing that worked for her was that really serious acne medication, Accutane? (May or may not be correct on the name.)

Anyhow, I didn't want to bum you out by telling you your only option might be meds, but my intention is to give you a resource that may provide some insight, because I know she posted a whole bunch on her journey to a clear face. She has amazing skin now, and I think she said she only had to go on it long enough for her skin to clear up, and it's stayed that way since. 

I hope this helps. (I went to her site and searched acne, and I immediately found the post, http://paleomg.com/conquering-my-acne/ )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Karib52 said:

@Alexd8, your post just reminded me of Juli Bauer (PaleOMG blogger extraordinaire) at PaleOMG.com. A few years ago she posted about her battles with cystic acne. She had been paleo for quite a while at that point, and desperately trying to rid her face of the acne. I believe the only thing that worked for her was that really serious acne medication, Accutane? (May or may not be correct on the name.)

Anyhow, I didn't want to bum you out by telling you your only option might be meds, but my intention is to give you a resource that may provide some insight, because I know she posted a whole bunch on her journey to a clear face. She has amazing skin now, and I think she said she only had to go on it long enough for her skin to clear up, and it's stayed that way since. 

I hope this helps. (I went to her site and searched acne, and I immediately found the post, http://paleomg.com/conquering-my-acne/ )

I'll definitely look into it!! Thanks for all the info :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandaughetr has cyctic acen and been on all kinds of different presciption stuff. She uses Shea Moisture Black African soap. It is like 5 bucks for 1 bar and they sell it at CVS and Rite aid. Once it starts getting pretty clear then you need to back off because it will dry you out after that, so need to find out how many times a week works for you. She switches off with something else but I dont know what the other product is. The bar lasts forever too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 18 down 12 to go folks! I had a rough night last night my daughter got the stomach bug & I had to go take care of my 1 yr old grandson, needless to say it was a long night. Is anyone else suffering from extra plaque on your teeth? I just had my teeth cleaned last month & I feel like I haven't been to the dentist in a couple of years. I spoke to a dental hygienist at church tonight & she said when you start eating healthier you will have more plaque build up. Bummer! She recommended flossing more and rinsing with 1.2 peroixde & 1/2 water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites