Shelf-stable paleo food in preparation for Hurricane Sandy

MyWar

If you live on the east coast, you've no doubt been warned about the potential for extreme damage from the impending FRANKENSTORM. Here in NJ, we're projected to be hit the hardest. I live on a farm in a fairly rural area where loss of power is a very real possibility. To that end, I need ideas for food I can subsist on should the power fail that doesn't require refigeration. I'm on day 5 of my Whole 30.

Are there any preservatives in canned goods that are acceptable? Ideas for protein that doesn't need to be refrigerated? It's probably a bad idea to make 5 pounds of pulled pork, as I intended to do Sunday. So please, give me some ideas of meals. If it comes down to it, I will break my Whole 30 and eat SB&J sandwiches to survive, but I really hope it doesn't!

Canned tuna & salmon, beef jerky (really hard to find W30 unless you order online). Baby food, nuts, things like apples & bananas, lara bars. Maybe even some frozen shrimp that you could eat once it's thawed?

Good luck, hoping you stay safe!!

Edit: I would also get some coconut butter to eat maybe for breakfast? If you are getting closer to being fat adapted, having some coconut butter in the morning might hold you over until lunch just to spread your rations out.

Laura had good suggestions.

Apples and carrots can hold up without refrigeration for a while and can be eaten raw so i would stock up on them. I love sardines straight out of the can, so that would be something I would get. Hard-boiled eggs should be refrigerated but should last a couple days with the cooler temperatures in the Northeast. I know my Mom used to leave out Easter eggs for a week and we never had a problem with them growing up. If you have a grill, you can bake sweet potatoes so that is another veggie option. Plus you can cook up anything in your freezer that would go bad without power. You could have quite a feast depending what is in there. I'd be living off steak, scallops and shrimp if my freezer thawed!

This is great advice, thank you! During last year's hurricane, Irene, I got drunk at a wedding the night before and slept through it. This year's storm potential is so scary that staying sober is really the only option.

If you have a big freezer of food like me then I would put containers of water in there. Pack every available space with solid blocks of ice like that and your food will keep longer without power. Empty milk/water jugs work great and once frozen they take forever to thaw.

Costco has green beans with: green beans, salt and water listed as ingredients, also diced tomatoes. I would suggest filling coolers with ice, as many as you can or think you might need.

Don't forget to stock up on water and if the power does go out, only open your fridge or freezer when absolutely necessary. My Mom used to take brown paper bags and place over the food inside the freezer and top that with an old blanket, kept things nice during a power outage but we never experienced more than 2 or 3 days without power.

I don't know if you have snow yet, but when I lived in Northern California at 4000 ft the power would go off occasionally and we would put milk and eggs and meat and any other perishables in the snow. They will last quite awhile there.

Good luck. When is this supposed to happen?

get a power generator and fill some plastic gas cans with gas. DO NOT run the generator inside or without ventilation. We had no electricity after the hurricanes in 2004 for 3 weeks and kept our food by running the generator. We did have a patio that was mostly closed in but had tons of windows so we could ventilate. We ran an extension cord from it to run our refrigerator.

Beef jerky is a great thing to have. You can make your own using coconut aminos and spices to marinate your meat in. I like Top Round (sometimes called London Broil) or Flank steak. Have your butcher slice it into 1/4 inch slices. Marinate or even just flavor it with the preferred spices and coconut aminos (not even necessary to use these) and turn your oven to 200 degrees. Lay the slices on a rack and put them in the oven. Let them dehydrate for 8 hours. You might want to check them at 6. I'm not even sure you have time to do this (I haven't kept up with the hurricane's progress), but it's very shelf stable. Also, not sure if anyone suggested this already, but nuts and dried fruit?

Hi,

I live on the East Coast of S.Fl and Sandy just passed us with only rain and high winds, I hope that is the case for you. I have however been through several hurricane that left us without power for several days. All the suggestions about ice and propane and awesome but you also need to remember batteries, flash lights and camping lanterns. These things will really help out will really help out should you loose power. Don't forget to charge your cell phones and have games and activities readily available if you have children.

Good luck and stay safe!

Hi, all! I found this video on storing fruits/veg helpful and lovely (and short):

http://www.improvise...thout-a-fridge/

Also, I've lived in the Caribbean where some folks (even in that heat) do not refrigerate raw eggs at all -- and they're perfectly fine. I've read about this in other areas as well. For example, taking them on long camping trips, 10-14 days. I know that the eggs in the supermarket are not always the freshest but still, my guess is that they should keep at least several days without refrigeration. As for prep, if you've got a gas stove and that still works you can always cook them up there. Same on a grill. If you don't have running water, experiment w/saving a pot by lining with foil. *As far as I know, once the eggs are cooked they're pretty perishable so be careful there.

Just a reminder, after having lived several days after a storm without running water, WATER runs out fast. We always think about drinking water, but trust me, by day three DISHES, CUPS and UTENSILS pile up. And the TOILET... ugh. When you have to choose between drinking and caring for all other things you will choose drinking. SO, make sure you fill everything you can with water for: flushing the toilet when necessary (a bucket of water poured quickly in the bowl will flush it), brushing teeth, watering plants (ironic if they dry out because of a rain storm, eh?), combating B.O., rinsing/wiping stuff, *washing hands, etc.

All the best to everyone!!!

Just got up and can't take my eyes off the news. Sandy looks horrendous. Really hope all of you affected are doing OK, staying safe with lots of good W30 food to keep you going. Let us know how you coped whenever you can get online.

This is so much worse than any of us expected. The jersey shore has been obliterated. No power, not supposed to come back until next Monday. We had to take the cats and leave and we're staying with my mother in law in PA. Needless to say maybe but I'm eating whatever I can to stay fairly strong. It's going to take a long time to get back to normal. Stay safe everyone.

Archived