Help! tomato sauce

So the other night I wanted to make spaghetti squash and the receipe  called for tomato sauce however every single can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes contained at least 1G of sugar!!! seems impossible to find a can of tomato sauce without sugar :( help

7 minutes ago, Smiller1989 said:

So the other night I wanted to make spaghetti squash and the receipe  called for tomato sauce however every single can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes contained at least 1G of sugar!!! seems impossible to find a can of tomato sauce without sugar :( help

Don't worry about the nutrition label (tomatoes contain sugar); look at the INGREDIENTS list and look for brands that only contain tomatoes, salt and (compliant) preservatives. You can also always make your own sauce out of puréed can tomatoes (again, check the ingredients list). 

For example, Trader Joe's organic tomato sauce has these ingredients:

INGREDIENTS

Organic tomato puree (water, organic tomato paste), sea salt, organic onion powder, organic garlic powder, citric acid.

ok so even if it says 1G sugar as long as it doesnt say it in the actual ingredients i am ok? thanks :) my other question was when i eat at saladworks what to do about dressing? they have fat free basalmic or apple cider vinager any ideas besides no dressing?

3 minutes ago, Smiller1989 said:

ok so even if it says 1G sugar as long as it doesnt say it in the actual ingredients i am ok? thanks :) my other question was when i eat at saladworks what to do about dressing? they have fat free basalmic or apple cider vinager any ideas besides no dressing?

That's right!

As for dressing I'd just take my own, unless they have olive oil and vinegar you can mix yourself. I wouldn't trust any commercial dressing. 

I just bought Organics tomato and basil spaghetti sauce. It has 4g of sugar for 1/2 cup however the ingredients does not show sugar. I know tomatoes contain sugar but I wanted to double check if this is still ok to have? On another note, I live in a small town and only have an HEB and Walmart. The organic choices are MORE than limited:( They do sell Natural meat but each package says "very limited processing" are these meats ok to eat? (ground meat, steak, etc.) Thank you!

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Kathy Frisco said:

I just bought Organics tomato and basil spaghetti sauce. It has 4g of sugar for 1/2 cup however the ingredients does not show sugar. I know tomatoes contain sugar but I wanted to double check if this is still ok to have? On another note, I live in a small town and only have an HEB and Walmart. The organic choices are MORE than limited:( They do sell Natural meat but each package says "very limited processing" are these meats ok to eat? (ground meat, steak, etc.) Thank you!

As long as there's no sugar or sweeteners listed in the ingredients list, it doesn't matter what's listed in the nutrition facts, so this is fine.

You do not have to eat organic, grass fed, pastured, or any of that. Check that there's not anything added (chicken often has some kind of broth added, which is fine, unless it says it contains soy or sweeteners or something). 

A

3 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

As long as there's no sugar or sweeteners listed in the ingredients list, it doesn't matter what's listed in the nutrition facts, so this is fine.

You do not have to eat organic, grass fed, pastured, or any of that. Check that there's not anything added (chicken often has some kind of broth added, which is fine, unless it says it contains soy or sweeteners or something). 

Awesome! Thank you:)

Archived