Kombucha?? Hmmmmm

TrayS

Ok I've been seeing people talk about kombucha all over this forum, and I have never tried it. I bought a small bottle of the the other day at Sprouts (the ginger kind), but it's sitting in my fridge and I haven't cracked it open yet. I'm scared (why, I don't know). But I could really use something like this to help with my evening wine cravings, maybe this will do the trick.

I just read through the "It's alive" thread however, and got excited because this might be something that would be fun to try. My husband is an avid homebrewer (beer), so we have all the equipment, and we could brew together!!

But I should probably taste it first. What does it taste like? I have the ginger flavor, will it taste like a ginger beer, or nothing like it at all? I know I should just crack open the bottle already but I'm curious what I should expect.

I have only tried the ginger flavor. My first taste...I wrote to my friend JHMOMI and told her I HATED it. She laughed at me. Then, I kept sipping. It got better and better and now I really like it. To me, it has become my adult beverage whether I am on Whole30 or not. Unsweetened ginger ale is a really good way to describe it.

LOL SLW600. I didn't laugh, but I did question if you bought the one I tried or something else... ;)

I just bought a case (10% discount) of the GT Gingerade Kombucha at Whole Foods this morning.

As SLW600 describes, I find it refreshing like an adult beverage but not sweet. It's fizzy, so do NOT shake it up, just leave the stuff settled at the bottom. The ginger flavor is mild, and in some weird way it reminds me a little of wine coolers I might have had back in the 80's when I was just starting to drink alcohol, not legal age, and didn't care for the taste of beer. My appreciation of a good vodka martini came much later in life...

Geez - wine coolers. Anyone else remember those nasty California Coolers we used to drink way back in the early 80's? Think I was 17 when I tried the first one. And the the Bartles and James, Seagram, etc. came later. Having an 80's flashback moment. Need to go play some Go-Gos or Duran Duran now... :)

Oh Jhmomi...I heard the giggles in your text. :) It is funny that I HATED it with the first sip and then it grew on me very quickly. Now that I think of it...that's how I was with such things like wine coolers too. :)

I was thinking you bought your case at Costco, so I was looking for it there. It must have been WF, so I will go pick up one today. Then I am going to tackle the Scooby Doo like Robin and the rest of the brave souls.

Just tried it, it's good!! The first sip did taste/smell a bit vinegar-like but I really like the flavor after a few sips, and the carbonation. It does remind me both of hard cider and ginger beer.

Question - the bottle (12 oz) suggests drinking 2-4 oz between meals. Does anyone know what the basis of this recommendation is? If I wanted to, say, drink an entire 12 oz bottle in one evening, would this pose any kind of problem?

I wouldn't drink an entire bottle right away. Start small. You can get diarrhea if you drink to much at once. It will take a couple of days for your gut to adjust to it, but you will find that with steady intake it responds nicely.

I usually buy 3 GT bottles a week and drink 1/2 a bottle a day. Some folks here drink a full one each day. I sometimes stretch one to 3 days. It is kind of pricey for me, so I try to milk it. I feel like having a steady stream is better than nothing, while a full bottle a day is likely optimal. :)

Archived