First-Timer Starting on 20170503

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I decided to start on May 4, because I get my monthly allowance on May 3, and that's when I do my monthly grocery shopping. In the meantime, I have been more astute on reading the labels. I also have been separating Whole 30 approved items from the rest whenever I receive items from a local food pantry. I'm actually looking forward to this.

Thank you! So far, I have been to two food pantries in my area, and the only Whole 30 compliant items I received are canned unsweetened applesauce and canned green beans. The rest is pretty much "filler food." I will go to one more food pantry this week to see what items I can get from there to see how much I can build before I start the Whole 30. In the meantime, I plan on creating a page on my blog, This, That, and Vera, about this experience, using the hashtag #BrokeBrilliance (a spin off of #BrokenBrilliance, which is a catch phrase said by a famous professional wrestler).

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, I did start the Whole 30. Not exactly the best start, but I'm on my way.

I'm also blogging about this experience at my own site, called This, That, and Vera. I also have a tag on my journey, called #BrokeBrilliance, signifying doing the Whole 30 while on a very limited budget.

https://thisthatandvera.blogspot.com/p/brokebrilliance.html

:D

I do have a question. I'm at 4.5 days in, and my body is starting to play games with me (or maybe it's my head).

I have gotten past the headaches and the nausea, but for some reason, when I think about what to eat (or planning what to eat), my body/brain tells me that everything I eat is "slime." That whatever I put into my mouth, it's slime and I'm eating slime.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is this common?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, It Came From the 216 said:

I do have a question. I'm at 4.5 days in, and my body is starting to play games with me (or maybe it's my head).

I have gotten past the headaches and the nausea, but for some reason, when I think about what to eat (or planning what to eat), my body/brain tells me that everything I eat is "slime." That whatever I put into my mouth, it's slime and I'm eating slime.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Is this common?

Um... no, this is not common.  In fact I have never heard of this before... 

I don't mean any offense here and you don't have to answer this point, but do you have existing mental health conditions that could be causing this?  Previous eating disorder etc?  This is not something that is caused by eating fat, meat and veggies...

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, It Came From the 216 said:

I do have existing mental health conditions: types 1 and 2 of posttraumatic stress disorder, major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, borderline traits, and adjustment disorder.

I am also autistic.

Okay... well first, I'm sorry to hear that... as a person with ptsd, MDD, BP2 and anxiety, I totally understand the battle, altho none of these on first look would cause food aversions...(not that I'm a doctor...)

Could it be the autism that's creating the texture difficulty?  Do you have a good MH professional that you can talk to about it?  

Archived