Breakfast, faster

alintx

My kids have maybe 5 minutes of patience between waking up and needing to be fed. Then, they fall apart.

The 10yo equates hot food with love, so breakfast is (usually) cooked.

I keep this LIddle Griddle on the counter, ready to go. It can go in the dishwasher, it's a little bigger than a sheet of paper (griddle surface-area) and it heats up as fast as I can crack the eggs and whisk them together. BAM!

I have a bigger Cuisinart griddle, but it can't hold a candle to the efficiency to the liddle griddle.

Just something to help make your Paleo life a little easier. :)

Alison

When my twins were small they were the same way and the one think that helped and has given benefits even to this day was in let them in the kitchen. They were so excited about helping me cook they wouldn't be quite so impatient. They were around 4 or 5 when I started giving small jobs like beating eggs, turning on the electrical teapot or handing me spices. They're 14 now and cook better than most adults. Not sure of your kids ages but it's an idea to get them interested and busy.

The two older ones have been cooking with me since they were under 2. What a mess that was, but worth it. I have photos of them at the counter, standing on chairs competing with each other for egg-peeling when the now-10yo was 2. What a mess that was, too!

I agree that it is really really important for them to become proficient in the kitchen! It takes a loooong time and a lot of patience but it starts to pay off.

Unfortunately, in the morning, the two boys (6, 10) have no patience or attention span to help. They just need to be fed before expecting anything from them. The 10yo will make smoothies (bananas, ice, berries, vanilla), which helps, but what a mess!

The 15yo is very well versed in the kitchen and I am very grateful that she actually enjoys cooking. She is very ADHD, so what a mess!

*sigh*, one day they'll be on their own and I will wish that mess back.

Her wake-up call, as she climbs down her ladder (she has a loft bed) is , "Can I have juice and a banaaaaaanaaaah?"

We've transitioned from juice to fruit flavored herbal tea and water, but she still says the same thing every morning. Sigh. One day she'll get her own %$!# banana.

I'm not a morning person...

Yep, the first words that come out of my kids mouths are "I'm hungry", I get so tired of that, I answer back, "I know, you say that every day, I cook breakfast everyday, you don't have to tell me" Probably not the most patient answer in the world... But then they are 6, 4, and 2, so so I have to cut them a break every now and then. The two year old comes out with me to milk in the morning and drinks a cup of milk fresh from the cow, he's a fresh milk addict, he doesn't like it cold. The other two just have to wait til I'm done with chores then I make breakfast, usually after we get past the "I'm hungry" "I'm busy, you'll have to wait", they get distracted and start playing then I've got plenty of time to cook breakfast.

You know what I'm realizing as I read this? What they want is US. Our attention. My kids don't start asking for food the second they wake up, but my son wants us to get up and get GOING! Play with him! Do things! Go places! Our daughter hates getting up, and wants snuggles or help getting dressed, even though she's totally capable of doing it herself. And your kids are hungry, I am sure, but they also want to connect with you and get your attention.

I really hope I can remember this tomorrow and other mornings so that instead of getting frustrated as I usually do, I can remember that what they want is some love from me and give it to them. Maybe that will help our mornings feel less like a battle.

Here's hoping. :)

Also on the "faster" front: 2 eggs, one banana and a dribble of almond butter (or not). Zapped with stick blender. I think I found that recipe somewhere here. Makes 10+ small thin pancakes. Or, one large egg, one small banana, drizzle of almond butter. Made like pancakes on the griddle. One-egg recipe makes just 6 or so small pancakes. They are thin, so they cook fast and the stick blender is much easier to clean than the regular blender.

In the time it takes the pancakes to cook, I slice some tomatoes and/or an apple and start pre-loading the boys before they melt down.

• 3 weeks later...

Eggs and banana pancakes...genius! I'm going to have to try that.

I like cooking enough bacon for leftovers (I cut it in 1/2" pieces before cooking.), and scrambling eggs in advance. I just store the eggs in a bowl in the fridge. In the morning, all I have to do us heat the pan and within 2 min the bacon and eggs are done. In that time, my 3 year old had started peeling a clementine or something so he doesn't die of starvation or something before the eggs hit the table. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Eggs and banana pancakes...genius! I'm going to have to try that.

I like cooking enough bacon for leftovers (I cut it in 1/2" pieces before cooking.), and scrambling eggs in advance. I just store the eggs in a bowl in the fridge. In the morning, all I have to do us heat the pan and within 2 min the bacon and eggs are done. In that time, my 3 year old had started peeling a clementine or something so he doesn't die of starvation or something before the eggs hit the table. ;)

Great ideas - my kids DON'T want to eat, and then they are really hungry by lunch (third graders) and they are ravenous from after school until bedtime. But if I can get something ready for them to eat in the car on the way to school while we are listening to Harry Potter or Septimus Heap, they'll eat a good breakfast that way. Getting eggs and bacon ready the night before sounds like a great time-saver.

Archived