All set to start March 15th...

JulieW917

Yes, you read that right.  I'm starting on a WEDNESDAY.  This coming Wednesday to be exact.  I thought long and hard about choosing that day.  I've started all kinds of diets, eating plans, workout plans and other get healthy resolutions on a Monday or on the first day of the month.  None of those ever "stuck".  So I'm throwing caution to the wind and starting mid-week, mid-month.  This time around is different... different motivation, different plan, and hopefully... different result. :)  

Hi Julie,

I'm a newbie too and your post inspired me to join you for a Wednesday Whole30 start. I too, have started all kinds of lifestyle programs at the beginning of the week, the month, etc. So ... how about the Ides of March? Reading the timeline really shifted my mindset. I'm ready to do this and do it well. I'm ready results!

I'm not sure excited is the right word for what's about to be  unleashed tomorrow, but I'm ready - almost. Well, I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Whatever questions come up along the way, I'm confident there'll be answers. I'm pleased to have this forum. 

Tonight I have a workout, so looking for pre workout food. And post workout. 

Tomorrow I have breakfast with my networking group and will  be put to the test. I'll have a couple hard boiled eggs as back up.

Since  you're starting on the same day, I hope we share our experience along the way. I think it'll be helpful.

Hello! 

After I thought I was going to start today - life took over and I was not mentally prepared so if it's alright I'm going to join this thread and start tomorrow with you all :) 

This is my second time around, I completed a Whole30 in January. It was amazing and I'm happy to share anything I learned and felt along the way. I've read conflicting things about the second time being more difficult so I'm hoping to have people to share and talk with along the way this time. I sadly picked up some old habits the past few months post Whole30 and I can tell you knowing how great it made me feel after my first whole30 I just can't believe I went back to some old habits!! Ugh! It does motivate me because I can't feel such a difference in sleeping and my overall mood that I'm ready to have it back! 

Good luck tomorrow for everyone! 

Good morning, today is also my day 1.  I just completed my first whole 30 on February 25th.  Unfortunately I didn't plan very well and headed out of town immediately after for a week came home for 5 days and then left again.  So I didn't properly do my reintroduction.  I agree with BB I've read 2nd time is difficult.  I didn't participate in the forum round 1 and would like to join you for support and I can give some thoughts on my first round if anyone has questions. 

hope everyone is having a good day

Good morning,

Happy Day 1! How is everyone feeling so far today? I'm extremely tired this morning, sleep deprivation typically translates into fast food or junk food because I don't have the motivation to cook. Today I fought that urge and had a healthy W30 breakfast. 

Just curious, if you feel comfortable sharing, what is your motivation for doing Whole30? Mine is to feel better and lose some weight, more than weight loss but to feel better in my own skin. I really don't want to be tied to cravings, feel tired all the time and feel cranky.

Looking forward to the journey with everyone :) 

BB congrats on saying no thanks today.  The more you say it the easier it will get.  Deborah hope you feel better tomorrow.  Glad your here Debbie, another who is on round 2 for the same reason I am.  I would make a suggestion for everyone.  Take before and after pictures.  I only lost 5 pounds last time, and then another 3, but the pictures were amazing in the difference.

what is my motivation? I would love to be able to sleep thru the night, have more energy, no afternoon slump, and improve my mood, memory, and Brain fog on a daily basis.  I was feeling aches in my joints and I need to lose another 10-15 pounds.  Much of that improved during my 1st round.  Now my motivation additionally is to get back to a clean state and do a proper reintroduction.  

Day 1 is in the bank for me.  Night time nibbles were never my issue.

how did everyone do?  

Hi Friends!  I could see all the new posts popping up in my e-mail inbox today, but my employer's network internet settings won't allow me to access the forum so I can respond (one of the many "perks" of working in public education - not in a teaching capacity!).

Day 1 went well for me, had a little trouble last night making the mayo.  One batch was a complete disaster, the second went better but still not as thick and smooth as I thought it should be.  I love me some spaghetti squash, tomato sauce and ground turkey!!  Day 1 for me has never been an issue, it's the end of Day 2 through about Day 5.  

I'm doing this for several reasons, the first of which is to not feel like such a bloated whale all the time!  I know my issues are with sugar and portion control.   The portion control issue is mainly with those bad for me "foods with no brakes".  

I have been super fortunate to reach 51 years of age with no major health issues.  I can't continue stuffing my pie hole with anything and everything and expect to make it to 60 without throwing something in my system completely out of whack.  I recently got this overwhelming feeling that I'm living on borrowed time.  What's that saying?  "If you don't make time for health now, you'll be making time for sickness later."  I'd rather spend that time with my grandbabies. :)

Goodnight all!  Day 2... here we come!

Day 1: The only breakfast choices at my networking meeting this morning were W30 non-compliant. I passed by the food and got a cup of coffee - not the best start. By 11am I'd only been in coffee shops and none of the food was W30 compliant. My boiled eggs were in the car, and I ate 2 around 11am. By 11:30, I was sleepy. None of this is like me, so I attribute it to coffee without food and the dip that comes when the caffeine runs down. 

The good news? I made it through the day compliant, but this surely isn't the rhythm I want for food. Also, I drink coffee, but generally only one cup a day. It's rare for me to feel tired during the day.

2017 is my year to feel younger. I live in the Pacific Northwest with beautiful hiking trails and places to ride bicycle. I've been way too focused on work and my life is out of balance. I've been sitting way too much and it's caught up in so many ways. I've been consistently workout out since the first of the year.I want to feel free in my body again - and enjoy moving. Food is next. I recently discovered I'm lactose intolerant and wonder what other foods might be creating issues.  I'm ready to drop the weight I've gained. 

Goodnight all.

My husband and I started on Tuesday so only a one day jump (assuming we don't restart!) on others in this group. I looked for a March 14th start but couldn't find one. We had a snow day in the Northeast so we were stuck home all day and read up on all the program rules, etc. If we finish on time it will be my husband's 50th birthday. What better present than feeling good and healthy!

Good morning! 

Sounds like we all had a pretty successful Day 1 :) it was really nice to see emails come in throughout the day, definitely helped me!

Day 2 - the start of the hangover, yikes! I had a headache late last night which I believe to be the start of the hangover stage. 

I'm in the Mid-west and a stay at home mom of 2. I thought it would be easier for me being compliant, but because I'm home I think I eat far more than I should!! By the way - I'm DONE with the snow and ready for spring ;) 

Some have mentioned working out...that's amazing!! I very much dislike working out. It is a goal I had this time around: join a fourm - check! And to work out during this W30. I just wonder how it will impact my results...

I'm struggling with the scale already! Not that I focus on a number, but unlike the rules suggest, for me tracking weight tends to be a motivation not a deterrent. Anyone feel this way? 

Have a wonderful day! 

I'm not very good a responding to forums the official way, but I'll try to comment on questions.  Welcome Maine girl, I grew up in Maine and still go back frequently to visit family.  Ready4results, great job being compliant.  How about next networking morning you eat a large compliant breakfast first, then just have coffee at the meeting.  I found that starting with a much larger than I thought necessary meal 1 set me up for a much more successful day. Also make sure you are eating enough fat.  This is an area I'm focusing on this round because I didn't last time.  BB The headaches are coming, it will be different for everyone how long they last.  Do you like herb teas?  I found that when I thought I was hungry, I really just wanted something to do with myself.  I drink them after dinner too instead of dessert. I wouldn't worry about working out just yet,  I know it's cold and snowy there.  Maybe some stretching or bundle up for a quick walk.  Spend some time thinking of what type of exercise interests and excites you so you will be ready when you feel better.  Also please don't weigh yourself.  I thought I was one of those people too.  And I did weigh myself, it didn't help and made me want to quit.  I don't mean to depress anyone, but it took me until about the third week to really see much of a body change, but it WILL happen if you follow the meal template.  I wouldn't be doing round 2 if it didn't.

good luck everyone today, if you haven't yet look for the timeline on the whole 30 website, it is super helpful.  

Have a great day 2

I should have mentioned this on the issue of weighing.  After I depressed myself, I found a dress that used to fit and didn't any more.  I would try it on when ever I needed some motivation.  By the end of 30 days it zipped up and I could breathe in it.  Still a bit tight to wear out to dinner.  Maybe at the end of this round.  Hope I wasn't too harsh before.  Sorry if I was.  I don't want to offend anyone

Yogagirl - being new to forums I have no idea the correct etiquette for responding so my apologies to all! And, absolutely no offense taken here! I have not stepped on the scale and do not intend to. For me, although I know I have weight to lose, it is far more about how I feel and fit into clothes.

I've decided this time around to crock pot a TON! I have some sauce with ground turkey I just put in that I will have with zoodle later :) I am the kind of person that can eat the same thing multiple days in a row and it does not bother me at all. I took some tips and made sure to make extra.

My first round I lost 9 pounds and 2 inches just about everywhere. It was like the actual shape of my body changed which after two kids and gaining 55 pounds with my second eek! it was a nice incentive to have this be a lifestyle for me, perhaps moving to a whole30/paleo type clean eating life after this is complete!

Happy Day 2! 

So far so good! I am glad there are some on the forum who have done this before. It is all a bit overwhelming. I had the day off work today to take my dad to a dr appt right near Whole foods.  I had the luxury of roaming the aisles and looking for compliant food. Yay I found bacon! And in the produce section, they actually had premade zoodles of summer squash, zucchini, beets and sweet potato with a refrigerator shelf life of a week! 

My motivations are similar to you JulieW917 - I am 48 and quite healthy and my husband is about to be 50. We will be empty nesters next year when our younger son leaves for college and we want to stay healthy so we can enjoy this kid free time that we have earned!

I am usually a daily weigh in person but I am going to really try to cut that at least to once a week if I can't wait until day 30.

Looking forward to having others on this journey with me! :)

Sounds like everyone is off to a good start! I had a rough night sleeping due to my cold but went to work today and made it through in better shape than I thought I would, and I believe it's because I two goods days of healthy eating.

I did an ant- inflammatory diet last November-December that took off ten lbs. that I've been able to keep off in spite of the holidays. It also relieved some joint aches and pains. I have 50+ lb.s to lose overall, but I'm hoping this takes off the next 5 at least, and reinforces the longterm eating changes. I have a terrible sugar/carb addiction that must be tamed.

I've had chronic sinus issues for years. I kind of warmed up to the Whole30 before starting, but yesterday was truly day one. Anyway, I'm breathing more freely today than I have in some time. Delighted! 

The Whole30 timeline is helpful as it indicates what to expect along the way. I was sleepy this afternoon, which is unusual for me - and right on track, so I'll assume the Whole30  is working. I did a 45 minute workout at the gym. Apparently, a small meal of protein and veggies or protein and fruit after the workout is advised - if hungry. Day two and it's a good day. 

Everyone is doing fabulously, already some great NSV's.  I found an interesting thread on pre/post workout meals.  I never really focused on that last round.  I found it a little confusing.  It is under the athletes topic and the title is pre/post-meal suggestions?  If interested.  It also talks about what type of workout warrants an extra meal.  

BB if you find some great crock pot recipes let us know.  I don't eat read meat so what you did with turkey is interesting.  And awesome results last time,   What a nice mix of first timers and people on our second round.

Happy day 3 all! 

Day 3 and I think I'm doing pretty well!  My husband might beg to differ as I've been a little short-tempered with him the past few days.  But I haven't yet felt deprived of anything.  The food I've been preparing has been very tasty!  I've been following the 7 day meal plan with a few exceptions (all Whole 30 compliant of course!).  Yesterday was a little sketchy when a member of our department brought all the leftover pies from Pi Day and set them up on the table right outside my office.  I walked slowly (very slowly) by the table and inhaled deeply, smelling the sugary goodness, and then kept on walking!!  Today our superintendent gave everyone an ice cream sundae celebration (for record breaking composite ACT scores).  I really didn't have any problem watching everyone else partake, fortunately several other co-workers decided not to have ice cream either so I just hung with them.

I woke up this morning with 3 zits on my face and then read my daily e-mail telling me to expect such a thing.  Crazy!!  One side effect I had yesterday that was different was phantom food smells.  Anyone else have this?

I feel like I'm on the right path here.  :)  Is everyone ready for the weekend?

Hey, everyone, thanks for sharing. I like the mix of first timers and repeat Whole30'ers in our group, too. It does sound like everyone is right on track and we're starting our Whole30 strong. We're in the right place. YogaGirl, thanks for your comments on athletes and pre/post workouts. I just hopped over to the Whole30 tab to read up on it - but didn't find it. Would you post the url?

So ... Day 3 included mid-afternoon wandering for snacks. I opened the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water instead. I wasn't hungry. It's part of a habit, and one I'm breaking via the Whole30.  

Last night I went to a coffee/wine bar with friends to listen to music. I ordered a Club Soda with lemon and turned down pizza. They think the Whole30 is kind of boring - no fun - and why would I do that. I shared briefly and was asked - so what CAN you eat?  I said meat, lots of veggies, fruit, squash, soups ... the concerned look left their faces and the evening went on as any other. I sipped on my Club Soda and they ate and drank what they did . It was a fairly normal evening out and quite enjoyable.

Ready for Day 4.

Archived