In a food rut

ljdw

Hello Whole30ers! 

I'm happily on day 34 - completing the whole 30 with varied recipes, delicious food, etc. etc. I was a happy girl! Now that its over, I'm surprised to find that I'm not 'craving' anything major - I don't have cravings for pizza or pad thai, in fact, I've loved what I've been eating the past few weeks - my problem is that I feel I've hit a food rut. I've scoured all the websites I could find with easy recipes, I've read the Whole30 book and recipes in that - i think i'm just tired of the whole30 staples. Does anyone have advice, or has been through this before? I want to keep going for sure- I'm incredibly happy with my results on and off the scale - i'm just tired of the food!

All my thanks.

lindsey

I'd suggest you try to reintroduce some foods before you get really bored and dive into the pizza and cookies.

Honestly, Whole30 is a 30 day gut re-set, after which you try reintroducing foods to see how they'll effect you going forward. Now is the time to do that, when you have that perfect clean slate on which try try foods out.

Once you've completed your reintroductions you can develop your own eating plan which may look a lot like Whole30, but could include a little added sugar in the form of honey for instance, or a steak cooked in butter, or any number of the thousands of recipes out there that are *almost* or even technically compliant, but off limits during your 30 days.

Broaden your horizons, that's my advice.

jcbn- 

thanks for that. I think I've been so happy with my results (3"+ and 5lbs...unprecedented for me) that I just don't want to reintroduce anything that may reverse that and take me back to where i was!

I truly appreciate your advice though- perhaps I need to think more broadly :)

l.

43 minutes ago, ljdw said:

jcbn- 

thanks for that. I think I've been so happy with my results (3"+ and 5lbs...unprecedented for me) that I just don't want to reintroduce anything that may reverse that and take me back to where i was!

I truly appreciate your advice though- perhaps I need to think more broadly :)

l.

I encourage you to do a thoughtful reintroduction. You need 30 days of a compliant Whole30 to do reintroductions, so it would be a shame to lose this opportunity! Reintroductions are how you find out exactly how the foods you've eliminated affect you, and that knowledge will help you avoid going back to where you were.  As @kirkor says, reintroductions are where the deep learning occurs. I think they are necessary for any kind of food freedom. 

No one can do Whole30 forever. It's not designed for that. In my experience, it's the people who try to do Whole60's or Whole90's or who vow they are going to eat this way forever who wind up back on the forums doing yet another Whole30 because they never did a reintroduction. They crashed when they "off-roaded" and lost all the benefits they'd gained.

The structure of a reintroduction, with a single food or group on one day and then 2 days (at least) of Whole30 eating, is what will help you transition into being able to decide what off-plan foods you want to include going forward, and you'll be able to design an eating plan that works for you. 

4 hours ago, ljdw said:

Does anyone have advice, or has been through this before? I want to keep going for sure- I'm incredibly happy with my results on and off the scale - i'm just tired of the food!

Congrats on your Whole30 (and beyond)! I'm on Day 35 myself.

You might find some helpful info at the link below -- it's aimed at those who may benefit by extending beyond the 30 days. It even helps you figure out whether or not going for W45/60/90 is a good idea for you personally.

There are suggestions for dealing with boredom. FOMO and staying focused on your goals, etc.:

THE WHOLE30-PLUS: EXTENDING YOUR PROGRAM FOR 45, 60, OR 90 DAYS
http://whole30.com/2014/08/whole30-plus/

Whatever you decide from here, good luck!

Archived