Almond Butter and Banana

Kimberly G

Hi, I am 13 days in so far... My big struggle has been preparing food in advance, which I'm just not used to doing... but I have definitely gotten better at it and am starting to get into a groove. I have been great with what to do at Breakfast, it's so easy for me, I make 2 scrambled eggs with water and I have some chopped greens and cut up orange tossed in olive oil and balsamic, and then some avocado or potatoes with it... it actually holds me for quite a while...

My question is.. Is it alright for me to have a lunch that is a banana cut in chunks with almond or cashew butter?  I did this quite a bit the first few days because it was so easy and I enjoyed it, but then got away from it... but was rushed and did it again today.  I know both foods are compliant but the more I read the more I get confused about Nut butters and Nuts...   I enjoy this midday ,meal and then I have more of a substantial evening meal with protein and veggies... Thanks!!

Hey @Kimberly G

Banana and almond butter are both compliant, but really we'd recommend you don;t eat nuts or their by-products every day due to their anti inflammtory omega 6 fatty acids, and the fact they can become a crutch, or a food without brakes... Bananas again are fine, but fruit should never push the veg off of your plate - plus, thinking in terms of the recommended meal template of protein, fat & veggies, you're completely missing out on protein if this is the extent of your meal.

So yes, you can complete 30 days eating this for lunch if you so wish, & technically you're not doing anything wrong, but it won't get you the most bang for your buck.

17 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Hey @Kimberly G

Banana and almond butter are both compliant, but really we'd recommend you don;t eat nuts or their by-products every day due to their anti inflammtory omega 6 fatty acids, and the fact they can become a crutch, or a food without brakes... Bananas again are fine, but fruit should never push the veg off of your plate - plus, thinking in terms of the recommended meal template of protein, fat & veggies, you're completely missing out on protein if this is the extent of your meal.

So yes, you can complete 30 days eating this for lunch if you so wish, & technically you're not doing anything wrong, but it won't get you the most bang for your buck.

Ok, Thank you, I think I understand... so its Ok, maybe here and there, but I really should strive for a lunch with vegetables protein for lunch, so what is your fav combo for lunch that checks all boxes...  I struggle with ideas.. I really miss the idea of a sandwich, I enjoy salads when I'm craving them but not a huge, salad all the time, type of gal.  Thanks!

Soup & a sandwich is a big lunch thing for a lot of folk so if you miss that how about some kind of blended vegetable soup with some meatballs & dipping sauce on the side? Or you can make a wrap using lettuce leaves or steamed cabbage leaves so it feels like more of a sandwich? Or use some portobello mushrooms or toasted sweet potato slices as a burger bun? Then there's an awesome (not every day) dish called the Elvis Burger by Mel Joulwan of Well Fed fame... Or how about these bacon, avocado & jalapeno stuffed burgers with a nice fresh tomato salad....

Any of those tickle your fancy?

Some of my lunch favorites: 

Fish Cakes (I like nom nom paleo's spicy tuna cakes and use canned sweet potato or canned pumpkin to make it easier): http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes I like these with some leftover roasted vegetables and a little bit of avocado. 

Madras chicken salad, served in a halved bell pepper with a greens salad on the side. (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/108235360133/whole30-day-16-madras-chicken-salad) I usually make roasted chicken for dinner and roast extra which I shred and make into the chicken salad for lunches. 

Stuffed potatoes or sweet potatoes (this recipe for enchilada stuffed sweet potatoes is a favorite: http://againstallgrain.com/2015/03/28/enchilada-stuffed-sweet-potatoes-recipe/

We also eat a lot of leftovers for lunch. Chili is one of my favorite meals to make because I can load it up with veggies (carrots, canned pumpkin/sweet potato leftover from making the fish cakes, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, onions and tomatoes), top it with avocado, and have an easy template meal in a single bowl. 

• Moderators

You might like some of the ideas in this article: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

I do something like that sometimes, especially in the summer where I want something cool, but still don't necessarily want a typical salad. I might combine some already grilled chicken, hard boiled eggs, and/or meatballs (whatever I have that sounds good), some raw carrots, tomatoes, jicama, celery, or whatever  with a dip (sometimes just mayo, sometimes guacamole or baba ganoush or ranch dressing), and then maybe some of this beet salad, this broccoli salad, or some potato salad. 

WOW!! Great ideas! Thank you so much Shannon TO and Jm!  These are great!

One other question, should you limit your meat(red meat) intake as protein.  I am thinking if I make meatballs that's a great thing to have and they are good cold, to bring for lunches. but like I shouldn't eat them every day?  Or is that allowed?  Do you need to limit your beef servings?

I'm meat eating girl and love all things meat, just made a great slow cooker pot roast yesterday!  I ate yesterday, tonight and probably tomorrow... hope that WHole30 cool!

I tend to make a variety of proteins for the week  (eg. a whole chicken, some pork&apple burger patties, slow cooked mocha rubbed pot roast), and then throw in a portion of fish per day (or at least every other day), plus eggs when required to ensure I'm getting a good mix, but there's nothing to say you can't eat red meat every day so long as it's well sourced.

Hope this helps.

18 minutes ago, Rachellecooper said:

I think portobello mushrooms or toasted sweet potato slices as a burger bun will be tasty. Has anyone tried it out?

Both are fairly common switches from the traditional 'bun' when cutting out grains, so yes, a lot of people have tried it out with success....

Archived