Excited! Starting March 20th

MelissaLynne

Hi all, 

I came across this plan in an article I was reading a week ago or so. I'm starting this March 20th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. For someone who has lived with much disregard for the healthy-ness of the foods I ate my entire life...I look forward to this being a way to start changing that. I have no false pretense of this being easy but from what I have read I fully expect it to be very rewarding and after with reintro very informative.

Hello, 

I too am starting on March 20th 2017. I am very nervous but excited. I did the Whole30 back in October into November and it was a great experience but I did the fast track into the reintroduction and completely failed. I went back to my old eating ways and have not stopped. I work where there are a lot of sweets and my temptations take over with no self control. I am all on board and have everything planned out for the first 2 weeks so there can not be any excuses for failure. All I need is to remind my self on why I am doing this and keep the motivation strong.   

Wish me luck. :-) 

So I will be starting Sunday! That's great, Rinnestone32 that you already have 2 weeks planned out! I will be cooking for 8 (I have 7 kids- youngest is 5 months), so I am planning on bulking cooking as usual. I am still working on a menu plan, just doing 1 week at a time, though. Today I will be doing some shopping and prep cooking of dressings and dip. 

I am super nervous as well as I've gone off and on eating healthily for the last 3 years. But just flat out gave up the last year or so. I am so incredibly addicted to sugar and carbs without stops. This is why I need this. Why my family needs this. I need to get back control of what I'm putting into my body. I've also never done anything like this before (eliminating foods) so I'm excited to see how my body does when some of these items are gone. And excited to reintroduce and discover what these foods are doing to my body. I'm calling it 40 days in my head, just so I'll be sure to reintroduce properly/smartly and not go crazy.

Yup I'm staring tomorrow too! I actually did 6 days back in Feb but decided I wanted to get tested for Coeliac disease and Hashimotos  so I opted out for a while and am starting afresh tomorrow. You really need to be eating gluten if you are going to test for Celiacs disease otherwise you might get a false negative. Anyway i''ve had these tests done before and they came back negative so I'm not really expecting a change this time but thought id just give it one more shot. All I know is that deep in my bones I know I can't tolerate gluten and perhaps something is wrong with my thyroid. Conventional medicine hasn't been able to find the cause of my chronic fatigue, chronic constipation and chronic telegenic  effluvium so far so here I am at whole 30 looking for answers and goddammit some energy would be great too!

I suffered badly from the carb flu for the first 4 days last time so I'm expecting the same this week....but at least I know it passes.

Ive prepped a bit today too, started up a bone broth and made chimchirru (sp?) and mayo. Been shopping for all my fruit and veg and meats and have a meal plan for the week (in my head!). Last time I did not prep and it is not fun trying to make mayo during carb flu lol. This time I'm better prepped.

Good luck to us all!! I'm excited, I just want this work so badly.

xx Maggie

Hello everyone, 

I hope that you are all doing well. Today is my first day.  So far, so good. There are cupcakes, chips and cookies floating around the work space and right now I am able to say No thank you but let me say.... they all smell so good! Salty and sweet :-) 

Have a great day

On 3/18/2017 at 0:32 PM, Nedster7 said:

So I will be starting Sunday! That's great, Rinnestone32 that you already have 2 weeks planned out! I will be cooking for 8 (I have 7 kids- youngest is 5 months), so I am planning on bulking cooking as usual. I am still working on a menu plan, just doing 1 week at a time, though. Today I will be doing some shopping and prep cooking of dressings and dip. 

I am super nervous as well as I've gone off and on eating healthily for the last 3 years. But just flat out gave up the last year or so. I am so incredibly addicted to sugar and carbs without stops. This is why I need this. Why my family needs this. I need to get back control of what I'm putting into my body. I've also never done anything like this before (eliminating foods) so I'm excited to see how my body does when some of these items are gone. And excited to reintroduce and discover what these foods are doing to my body. I'm calling it 40 days in my head, just so I'll be sure to reintroduce properly/smartly and not go crazy.

Hello, Good luck to you and your family on this journey. If you are interested in a cook book that is easy to follow and majority of the food is Whole30... Paleo takes 5 ingredient or less by Cindy Sexton. I have made many meals out of that book for my family and friends. Wish you all the best!

The

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, Rinnestone32 said:

Hello, 

I too am starting on March 20th 2017. I am very nervous but excited. I did the Whole30 back in October into November and it was a great experience but I did the fast track into the reintroduction and completely failed. I went back to my old eating ways and have not stopped. I work where there are a lot of sweets and my temptations take over with no self control. I am all on board and have everything planned out for the first 2 weeks so there can not be any excuses for failure. All I need is to remind my self on why I am doing this and keep the motivation strong.   

Wish me luck. :-) 

the WHY is so so important, isn't it!

49 minutes ago, rachelmaria33 said:

The

the WHY is so so important, isn't it!

It is very important and I keep reminding myself of this every minute.

I'm feeling a little under stress because an unplanned ice-fishing trip just got booked for this weekend near Canada. I am trying my best to plan out my meals and snacks to have on the ice but all I keep hearing in my head is NO!.... chips, cheese, beer, soda, bloody mary's, veggie dip, pizza, etc. It's a very sad feeling but I also know that this is test of my will power and strength. So far, I plan on making a guac dip for my veggies so I won't feel too sorry for myself. 

Wish  me luck!

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:32 PM, Nedster7 said:

I'm calling it 40 days in my head, just so I'll be sure to reintroduce properly/smartly and not go crazy.

When I did my last round I called it 60 so I would not have a reason to skimp on reintros....my first round I didn't do well at all cause I didn't get my mind around the time it would take. So this last time I just banked on 60 days and it didn't take quite that long but the mind trick of planning too much rather than potentially not enough worked for me...

31 minutes ago, Rinnestone32 said:

It is very important and I keep reminding myself of this every minute.

I'm feeling a little under stress because an unplanned ice-fishing trip just got booked for this weekend near Canada. I am trying my best to plan out my meals and snacks to have on the ice but all I keep hearing in my head is NO!.... chips, cheese, beer, soda, bloody mary's, veggie dip, pizza, etc. It's a very sad feeling but I also know that this is test of my will power and strength. So far, I plan on making a guac dip for my veggies so I won't feel too sorry for myself. 

Wish  me luck!

I don't know who you are going with and how much support they may or may not be, but one thing I definitely learned the first time around was to talk about it in a positive light, and really put the emphasis on what you are trying to overcome.  For example I said "I've really been struggling with headaches and the start of arthritis pains.  I am doing an elimination diet to try and find out what foods may be causing this so that I don't just have to rely on medication."  When there was a good reason and hope of answers behind my eating changes I got backing from people who I really didn't expect to support me.  I kept it simple, and brief unless a person asked more than that, but it was so much deeper than "losing weight" or "getting healthy" in their minds. 

Hope that helps!  and KUDOS to you for not just restarting after!  I have a spring break trip planned with all the family this next weekend too, but I decided I had had enough "last weekends" and "last events" and I wasn't going to keep waiting and eating one last....

2 minutes ago, rachelmaria33 said:

I don't know who you are going with and how much support they may or may not be, but one thing I definitely learned the first time around was to talk about it in a positive light, and really put the emphasis on what you are trying to overcome.  For example I said "I've really been struggling with headaches and the start of arthritis pains.  I am doing an elimination diet to try and find out what foods may be causing this so that I don't just have to rely on medication."  When there was a good reason and hope of answers behind my eating changes I got backing from people who I really didn't expect to support me.  I kept it simple, and brief unless a person asked more than that, but it was so much deeper than "losing weight" or "getting healthy" in their minds. 

Hope that helps!  and KUDOS to you for not just restarting after!  I have a spring break trip planned with all the family this next weekend too, but I decided I had had enough "last weekends" and "last events" and I wasn't going to keep waiting and eating one last....

THANK YOU for reaching out to me. This does help me and I will beat my odds with positive thinking. I have been on this wagon long enough and it's time to say ... "I'm getting off".  Talking the talk is a lot easier that Walking the walk but I will find the power to relax and not sweat about what I can't have. I will make sure that I pack a lot of veggies and beef sticks to occupy my cravings. 

Good luck to you on your family trip. Keep us posted on your journey. 

On day 3 here! We had grilled chicken pieces and the green cabbage slaw with lemon oil for dinner. Lunch I ate a salad at subway with oil and vinegar... kinda a spontaneous thing I had to just go with it and do my best. Breakfast was hardboiled eggs, sausage and grapefruit. 

A little worried about finances right now. We've almost completely eaten through our produce in THREE days that I spent $200 for. Alaska is not cheap when it comes to produce... :-( I am going to keep going and see how we do with what we have. I can't afford more than about $200/week... 

How was your day? What did you eat?

Nedster7, frozen veggies any cheaper?  They are a lifesaver around here.  Not as good as fresh, but with 2 teens and 1 preteen in the house, even not on whole 30, but eating cleaner all the time it can be really hard to keep enough veggies on hand.  We also crunch down on canned pepperoncini's and dill pickles for extra flavor and gap-filling that is not loaded with junk.  This way of eating is certainly more expensive.  I try to balance out the "best" for example sweet potatoes, with the "acceptable", the white or red potato.  Some things I will use a little of both.  I make a bean-less chili that has 1 chopped sweet potato in it, and several chopped white or red. 

Hope you can find some good ways to make it all work.  This 30 days + reintroduction is a game changer for the rest of your life.  Some things you will be able to go back to eating, and may need to for financial reasons, but knowing what things ARE ok to add back in for you personally, and what things will cause the big bad reactions is so worth battling through and doing what you have to do to get to the end!

Oh, and yesterday food:

Breakfast: "egg roll in a bowl"  Basically ground turkey, cabbages and carrots shredded and cooked with sesame oil, garlic, ginger, onion powder and salt.

Lunch:  Left over chicken fajita meat and peppers on a salad, some unsweetened shredded coconut and a granny smith

Dinner: ground turkey and shredded carrot sautéed in some tomato paste and water on top of a baked sweet potato with 1/2 avocado

March 22nd's plan

Breakfast:  3 fried eggs, hashbrowns in clarified butter and 1 clementine orange

Lunch: spinach and mixed lettuce salad with left over chicken fajita meat, 1/2 sweet potato,  1/2 avocado and 1 granny smith

Dinner: Taco salad with olives and a walnut and raisin blend on the side. 

Rachelmaria33- your egg roll in a bowl sounds amazing. Going to have to try it. :-)

My meals so far:

Day 1: Breakfast: Coffee, Hard Boil Egg with chicken sausage

Lunch: Chicken Chowder from the W30 book and  Green Apple/Cabbage salad from book Paleo- 5 ingredients or less

Snack: Sugar Snaps, Hard boil egg

Dinner: 1/2 rib steak, 1/2 avocado, sm. sweet potato. 

Day 2: Breakfast: Coffee, Hard Boil Egg and Banana

Lunch: Chicken Chowder, Apple/cabbage salad, handful of mixed nuts, La croix

Snack: Green apple/ HB egg

Dinner: 1/2 steak,  1/2 avocado, Apple/Cabbage salad, pickles wrapped in Salami

I am heading out on a family trip tomorrow.  In mentally processing what I was needing to do to be ready to go food-wise this last night and this morning I almost threw in the towel.  No, not so I could go sugar crazy, but so that packing would be easier.  I know gluten bothers me from my first whole 30, but I was thinking, rice cakes with cream cheese and deli meat that isn't compliant and peanut butter on rice cakes is so easy and... and... and... 

Day 4.  Need to stay strong. 

I don't feel ready to kill all things, but I definitely don't feel 100% committed.  Or I didn't.  Now that I made the decision and am working on a sustainable list I do.  It's amazing how just considering it an option, to just do ok while gone and really commit when we get back, that pondering makes it so much easier to fail!  I literally almost ate a non compliant breakfast at home today because tomorrow might be hard?  Once I said "no" it really wasn't that hard.  Make a list.  Figure it out.  Make it work. 

Has anyone else had any personal struggles, victories, and discoveries yet?

1 hour ago, rachelmaria33 said:

I am heading out on a family trip tomorrow.  In mentally processing what I was needing to do to be ready to go food-wise this last night and this morning I almost threw in the towel.  No, not so I could go sugar crazy, but so that packing would be easier.  I know gluten bothers me from my first whole 30, but I was thinking, rice cakes with cream cheese and deli meat that isn't compliant and peanut butter on rice cakes is so easy and... and... and... 

Day 4.  Need to stay strong. 

I don't feel ready to kill all things, but I definitely don't feel 100% committed.  Or I didn't.  Now that I made the decision and am working on a sustainable list I do.  It's amazing how just considering it an option, to just do ok while gone and really commit when we get back, that pondering makes it so much easier to fail!  I literally almost ate a non compliant breakfast at home today because tomorrow might be hard?  Once I said "no" it really wasn't that hard.  Make a list.  Figure it out.  Make it work. 

Has anyone else had any personal struggles, victories, and discoveries yet?

I'm glad to hear that you are not going to throw the towel in!!

I am leaving for my fishing trip tomorrow morning at 2 am. I have been stressing out about what I was going to eat and drink. I now have a plan and set fourth in my mind that I was committed and there is no turning back. I have packed salami/pickle wraps, veggies, chili, taco meat for a salad, a case of La Croix water, HB eggs, bacon, and fruit for my long weekend away. I am ready for my trip and I have already prepared myself to what I am going to say when someone offers me a drink, pizza or anything else that might be tempting. 

I know with me it's  a mind set game that I have to play. If I am mentally prepared I can beat any temptations. 

Good Luck and I know that you can do this. Just play the game and you will come out a winner at the end. Be Strong and respectful to your self. Whatever you choose to do... be nice to your self and forgive yourself. We are our own worse critics when it comes down to it.

Enjoy your trip :-)

@Rinnestone32  Knowing you were also going through this over this next weekend was a huge help.  It's so much easier when we have accountability!  I have a lot of the same things in mind that you are packing, with the addition of baked sweet potatoes.  I don't mind them cold and they will help so much with ready to eat breakfast.  I knew I could do it, I just didn't know if I had it in me.  I know now and feel so pleased! 

Best of luck to you on your trip.  May you come home with tons of yummy healthy fish!

I started March 20th as well! Although I'm still the reading the book I was physically and emotionally ready to eat clean again and get any junk out of the house! So far so good and I'm excited to see my 3 year old twins even eating much healthier without so many carbs in the house. Though I have been hungry I feel pretty good so far!

I'm going to make that eggroll in a bowl tonight! Sounds yummy! @rachelmaria33

I am currently struggling with finances, not sure that I can keep all my kids (6) eating this way. Produce in Ak is expensive with very ripe avocados at $.99/each, and 5oz of spinach for almost $5. We already ate through 5 doz eggs in 4 days. So I'm trying to figure it out. It won't stop me from eating Whole30, though!! ;-)

Today was a struggle to keep everyone happy and full. I wasn't really prepared for lunch and had a lot of push back from the kids. They've been acting super hungry all afternoon. Ugh. 

Tell you what though, having to focus on my kids keeps my thoughts away from how I'm feeling hungry or whatever. lol. I'm not tempted because I'm being strong for my kids.

I'm back from my fishing trip and I DID IT!!

I'm stronger than ever. I feel amazing and super happy that I was able to stick with the whole30. It wasn't as bad as I thought that it was going to be. I was offered all sorts of drinks, snacks and treats but I was able to say no and stayed clear of the temptations. Can't believe we are 9 days into the Whole30. 

Hope everyone else is going strong. 

Hey everyone!! We're on day 11, right??  Right now I'm enjoying Jamaican Salmon with mango salsa (without the mango cause I don't have any!). The Jamaican seasoning is not my favorite flavor for fish... won't be using those seasonings again. :-( 

I haven't been tempted to have chocolate (or anything else) this whole time! I also haven't really had a tempting occasion that I really had to be strong either though. Just me at home most of the time around my own food. 

After eating through 10 dozen eggs in 6 days, I had to reassess things financially for my family. They are keeping mostly to the Whole30 except for oatmeal for breakfast and rice and beans for lunch. Its the only way I could make things work for them. I'm still going strong, no slip ups at all!

Awesome @Rinnestone32!! Way to go! 

How is everyone feeling? Any noticeable changes yet? None really for me. Just trusting the process right now. I know I'll notice it more as we get further along. 

I have been feeling alright. Nothing to write home about. I have been constipated, tired, not motivated to do much and yesterday was a bad day for me. I was having a lot of cravings for sweets. The positive side is that I am sleeping harder than before, my skin is starting to become more glowing and I am able to deal with stress a little bit better. Today at the office we have Doctor appreciation day and therefore we have... bagels with cream cheese in the break-room, ice cream cake from DQ is coming this afternoon along with chips and dip. UGH!! Glad it wasn't yesterday, I may have caved due to my cravings.  

Nedster7- even tho you are not able to follow the book to a T, your doing the right thing about being mindful of what you are eating. Keep up the good job!! :-) 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:18 AM, Rinnestone32 said:

I'm back from my fishing trip and I DID IT!!

I'm stronger than ever. I feel amazing and super happy that I was able to stick with the whole30. It wasn't as bad as I thought that it was going to be. I was offered all sorts of drinks, snacks and treats but I was able to say no and stayed clear of the temptations. Can't believe we are 9 days into the Whole30. 

Hope everyone else is going strong. 

Awesome Job Rinnestone32!  I wish I could say the same.  Last day of the trip my hubby picked up some sausage for breakfast, no sugar, yay!  Forgot to double check soy.  boo!  On day 2 of a restart now.  Oh well, it is what it is.

Archived