About the creamers and headaches on day Two

Mytwogirls2

I am looking for a good creamer someone mentioned Nut Pod but I read the reviews and they said it makes their coffee clunky.  New Barn almond milk did the same thing too (in the green container)  I also bought Califia which is a combination of coconut milk and Almond milk I haven't used it yet because I am not sure of the ingredients.    This is day 2 for me and I have a headache and I've been running to the bathroom.  I am guess my body is getting rid of the bad carbs and sugars.  I feel bad for day two but I am hanging in there.  For breakfast I had 2 eggs over easy 1 slice of paleo approved bacon -no sugars and 2 cups of sautéed kale with 1/2 of avocado.  Lunch will be  2 baked chicken thighs with 1/2 sweet baked potato with ghee and salt and pepper. right now I am drinking my coffee black but I would lovvvvvvve to add some creaminess to it

Califia  ingredients Here is says:

Other Ingredients: Almondmilk (water, almonds), coconut cream, pure cane sugar, natural flavors, calcium carbonate, sunflower lecithin, sea salt, potassium citrate, locust bean gum, gellan gum.

• Moderators

Canned coconut milk (check ingredients).  Califia also does make approved creamers... 

Try bulletproof coffee?  So that's coconut oil blended into your coffee... makes it somewhat creamy and delectable but not clumpy (but you HAVE to use some sort of blender because otherwise you get an oil slick).

Black?  Cold Brew black coffee is one thing lots of people try when they say they don't like black coffee... I find I can drink black coffee but without coconut milk, it's too acidic for me...

I use plain canned coconut milk. I'm on Day 29 and have tried a bunch of brands, and the best one to me is Thai Kitchen (full fat, not lite). You have to stir it well but it turns into a nice creamy consistency. I tried just going with black coffee and it was too harsh - but the coconut milk makes coffee drinkable. It's not as good as real creamer but it gets you through the month.

I use Thai Kitchen coconut milk also.  My daughter-in-law just told me to put the unopened can in a bowl of warm water for about 20-30 minutes before I'm ready to open it.  Just like magic-no need to stir it.  The consistency is perfect and easy to use in coffee.

I loved my heavy cream in coffee just didn't like buying it every week because of not lasting long enough.  Is the Canned coconut milk or Thai Kitchen compliant?

Nikki1973 are you saying your taste bud changed after not drinking the heavy cream? I hope not

Aroy-D is another brand of compliant Coconut milk...and in my area, you can only find it at the Asian markets, not major grocery...but it's delicious, and about 1/2 the price of Thai Kitchen.

I agree with Nikki, too...I'm not a coconut person, but I love the milk in my coffee in the morning.

Nikki1973 are you saying your taste bud changed after not drinking the heavy cream? I hope not

Not for dairy- I could interchange heavy cream and coconut milk. I love the thick, creamy aspect. My tastebuds did change in that I now don't need sugar to sweeten things. I'm a big sugar creeper. When I did my first Whole 30, I got on the coconut milk coffee.... after, I went back to half and half and slowly adding more and more sugar until.... before this Whole 30, it was probably a tablespoon per 16 ounce cup. :o I feel like my trade off on coffee is either super creamy OR super sweet. 

But yeah, after about a week without sugar- my tastebuds change and I can taste natural sweetness. As soon as I add back sugar, that changes. My post Whole 30 goal is to in my day to day, not have sugar at all- not even a little bit. I still may splurge on an occasional dessert, but no more coffee with sugar, no more sweetened yogurt. 

To me, one of the best parts of Whole 30 is how good natural foods taste at the end of it! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello...I have Califia almond creamer and nowhere does it mention pure cane sugar (looking at label as I write).

These are the ingredients: almond milk (water, almonds), coconut cream, sunflower lecithin, natural flavors, calcium carbonate, sea salt, potassium citrate, locust bean gum, gellan gum.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, MicMD2503 said:

Hello...I have Califia almond creamer and nowhere does it mention pure cane sugar (looking at label as I write).

These are the ingredients: almond milk (water, almonds), coconut cream, sunflower lecithin, natural flavors, calcium carbonate, sea salt, potassium citrate, locust bean gum, gellan gum.

This is fine.  This is also a great example of why everyone should be reading every label everytime they buy... because there is nothing consistent about products, regions, manufacturing processes or ingredient formulations.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

This is fine.  This is also a great example of why everyone should be reading every label everytime they buy... because there is nothing consistent about products, regions, manufacturing processes or ingredient formulations.

Califia Farms makes about a dozen different flavors of creamers. The two unsweetened varieties are compliant, but the rest are sweetened. Neither poster mentioning ingredients specified which flavor of creamer they bought. 

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Califia Farms makes about a dozen different flavors of creamers. The two unsweetened varieties are compliant, but the rest are sweetened. Neither poster mentioning ingredients specified which flavor of creamer they bought. 

Oh, I totally get that... but a lot of people come here, see someone posted that they found 'Califia creamer to be compliant' and then pick up the first thing they see with that vendor name on it and don't do their own due diligence :)

I like Savoy coconut cream (just the coconut in the can; at Asian groceries). Or ghee. Both really, really need the immersion blender, otherwise they turn into clumps of oil. But blended up, they're lovely. Careful with the immersion blender, or you can find yourself cleaning coconut milk off the walls.

Archived