Dairy and hives

Dreamlet

I'm on day one of my reintroduction, and started with dairy. I had a little butter this morning, then some mango lassi and felt fine. I put half and half in my afternoon coffee and within an hour I had developed a hive on my hand. It seems pretty likely that it's a reaction to something I introduced today. I used to get hives occasionally but could never pinpoint the cause. 

I'd like to narrow it down if I can, to see if it's specifically the half and half that caused the reaction (I suspect that lassi is ok because it's fermented). I realize it could also be the amount of dairy vs the type. 

What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of going back to the whole30 for a couple of days and then reintroducing only fermented dairy to see if I have the same reaction. If there is no reaction, I would then introduce milk to see my reaction to that. 

Is is there a better way?

Fermented dairy doesnt actually alter the milk proteins in the fermentation process so it's quite likely that was your culprit. A casein intolerance can present like a histamine response so it would certainly fit the MO.

The process of clarifying butter also removes the casein so if you were doing well with ghee throughout your Whole30 then you might do better starting out with the fattier dairy products like butter, sour cream & cream cheese and taking it from there....

Yoghurt is a fermented dairy product and so will still contain the milk proteins (albeit along with good bacteria which should aid in digestion!) so I'd probably stick with sour cream, cream cheese, butter, or full/heavy cream. Or you could try ricotta as it's low in casein & lactose. Then I'd move onto yoghurt.

Goats & sheeps milk products are often better tolerated, as are raw milk products.

Good luck!

Archived