Hurricane Planning

Ok, this might sound ridiculous, but I am going to ask anyway. I am 45 days post my whole30 and last week sugar and I reacquainted which was NOT a good thing. So, I am back whole30 for 10 days just to get my head back in the game and so I don't falter because of Halloween. Now, they are calling for Sandy to hit central PA... I am new to the area and my husband and I were thinking about if we lose power... what are good non-cooking, non-perishable emergency supplies that are whole30 compliant?

Cook a bunch of chili the night before the storm and leave it in your slow cooker. Roast our veggies and put themin the fridge. If you live near a Whole Foods they have Whole30 compliant canned tuna (wild planet and Genova) and canned salmon. If not bake a salmon and leave it in the refrigerator. Obviously salad fixings and home made dressing. And fruit. Almond butter ( check ingredients) can go on bananas or apples. Canned coconut milk.

I live in Florida! Lots of experience. Don't wait til the last minute to get flashlights batteries and bottled water. Don't use candles. Stay safe!

We live in Houston so we are well prepared for hurricanes. I always have an extra propane tank for my grill. If you lose power, start grilling. Do you have a gas or electric stove? We have gas so we can still use it when the power fails. We keep at least two coolers full of food/ice. One for things that are less perishable and that we will need to get to often. The other contains back up items. We try not to open that cooler. Most grocery stores carry dry ice, but it might be hard to find right now. Veggies should make it a few days at room temp. Fresh eggs from a farm can sit on the counter for a couple of weeks. We usually start bagging ice from our ice maker a few days out. This helps if the ice sells out. I would stock tuna, canned chicken, etc. any frozen meals (cooked) are going to take a few days to thaw if the power goes. My grandmother (she's 98) told me that as long as the middle of something is still frozen, the food can freeze the rest of the way again. You may luck out on finding veggies after the storm as most people don't buy those when they are in freak out hoarding mode. Milk, bread, pasta usually go first. Good luck and stay safe!

tinned sardines, salmon, mackeral,anything with no bad stuff in it.

some salamis are nitrite free and reasonable cured and keep well

nori

jerky

sound fresh fruit

dried fruit

nuts

coconut oil

olive oil

jarred or an emergency stash of tinned veggies

jarred tomato/spagh sauce (read ingredients carefully- canola oil and sugar abound- awful, blech!)

*if power loss- move perishables from fridge to cooler and use them first. Then keep fridge closed Plan to open freezer once. Then keep it closed- it will keep for 2 days, then you have to eat everything in the next two days- throw a party!

get a grill, hibachi, camp stove- use OUTDOORS only. (in which case you could have a cache of sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, leeks, parsnips, and onions to grill- yum!

Freeze 2 L seltzer/soda bottles of fresh water NOW- use them to keep fridge and perishables in good order and then you have clean drinking water when they thaw out.

I just posted this on the other Hurricane Sandy forum. Just thought I'd paste it here, too.

Hi, all! I found this video on storing fruits/veg helpful and lovely (and short):

http://www.improvise...thout-a-fridge/

Also, I've lived in the Caribbean where some folks (even in that heat) do not refrigerate raw eggs at all -- and they're perfectly fine. I've read about this in other areas as well. For example, taking them on long camping trips, 10-14 days. I know that the eggs in the supermarket are not always the freshest but still, my guess is that they should keep at least several days without refrigeration. As for prep, if you've got a gas stove and that still works you can always cook them up there. Same on a grill. If you don't have running water, experiment w/saving a pot by lining with foil. *As far as I know, once the eggs are cooked they're pretty perishable so be careful there.

Just a reminder, after having lived several days after a storm without running water, WATER runs out fast. We always think about drinking water, but trust me, by day three DISHES, CUPS and UTENSILS pile up. And the TOILET... ugh. When you have to choose between drinking and caring for all other things you will choose drinking. SO, make sure you fill everything you can with water for: flushing the toilet when necessary (a bucket of water poured quickly in the bowl will flush it), brushing teeth, watering plants (ironic if they dry out because of a rain storm, eh?), combating B.O., rinsing/wiping stuff, *washing hands, etc.

All the best to everyone!!!

Archived