struggling - at day 17, update - restarting :(

So about 1-2 months ago I went paleo with some dark chocolate here and there. I felt AMAZING. Seriously. I woke up energized. Birds were chirping, sun was shining. I felt 10 years younger. It was amazing.

Then I fell off the wagon and its amazing how easy it is to get back into bad habits. I went on a trip and came back deciding to do the whole30.

Today I was on day 17.

I have been 100% on plan. I havent eaten else where because I was scared to accidently eat off plan. Im pretty sure I have been taking in plenty of calories and fats. I have aimed to be in bed by 10 - most nights I have been getting 6-7 hours of sleep. But the energy didnt come. I have felt so blah. I havent really gotten up the energy for any kind of exercise - I was exercising regularly last time. I dont know whats different. But I am not feeling amazing like I did before and it has stressed me out.

Yes I KNOW it might take longer, the whole 30 days or even 45 or 60 but I just thought since I felt so great last time it would happen this time too.

Then today I was busy at work and just threw my hands up and said fuck it. I ate things that are WAY off plan - crazy off plan.

And of course now I feel like crap.

And my 30 days will have to restart but Im feeling pretty hopeless right now.

You had 16 GOOD days and one bad. Don't be discouraged!

Get back on track now. This is more about a lifestyle change to me than just a 30 day challenge. Do your very best and be happy with your successes. Each and every one. Setbacks happen to all of us. i know they happen to me but I just keeping working on my goals. Month by month things get better...

Tom is right...sleep is so important. Honestly, I used to sleep 6-7 hours and think that was acceptable. I had to force myself to sleep longer, without guilt. Give it a try! I know I feel a ton better and I make much better food choices when I have slept 8 hours. Just try it out. Best wishes! ^_^

I wish I had the right words of encouragement right now.

If anything, I would recommend you look at everything you had eaten and then the business at work that lead to this. Are there other stressors in your life that are out of your control?

You can move on with the next new 30 days knowing that you CAN DO THIS. Look at this last 17 as a learning experience.

Sending you hugs!

Now you are doing a whole47. Plan it. Do it. Next time you have a fuck it moment, stop and think. If you have to walk off and sit quietly somewhere for a few minutes and collect yourself, do it. What drove you to that moment? Stress? Hunger? Both? Right now, put in place a plan to stop it from happening again. You can do it. You made a choice cram a bunch of crap in your mouth so now you can make a choice to do something differently. Learn from the mistake. And yes, yes, get more sleep! It really matters!

Enough tough love, now for the nice: You had 16 great days in! SIXTEEN! That is amazing! You know you can go at least that long and you can do it again! *cheering you on*

I understand what you mean and where you're coming from.

I've been eating paleo for the last several months, gluten and dairy free most of the time for the last year. I thought I would give Whole30 a try because I still wasn't feeling 100 %. First five days were terrible. Before Whole30 I used to eat five times a day (two big meals and three snacks, usually fruit), every couple hours. Now with three big meals allowed about two hours after eating I started experiencing hypoglycemic symptoms. Tired, fatigued, cranky, mental fog. Carb flu, alright, I thought and accepted the fact I wouldn't be able to work for the rest of the week. After five days it got a bit better. Still shaky most of the time but at least able to read and write for work. Unfortunately, my energy levels were getting down every day and I started experiencing rheumatoid arthritis-like pains in my hands and arms, later in my knees and feet. While before Whole30 I used to experience such pains once twice a month, now they became daily and especially terrible at night. So after one week I decide to implement autoimmune protocol: no eggs, not nightshades, not nuts (though I did not ate nuts), no ghee. The pains got worse and worse. Twelve days of Whole30 and I gave up. With really low energy levels, growing pain, terrible mood and no wish for anything. Yesterday was Day 13. I ate white potatoes and green peas. A Paleo no-no foods. And eggs. And tomatoes (AI no-no foods). And yesterday, today I feel better. I feel like actually doing something and not just lying in bed unable to move. The pain? It's almost gone. Ridiculous.

The thing is, I believe in paleo and whole30 ideas. It makes sense and I know it works. I am not exactly sure what went wrong with me but I am guessing I might be allergic or intolerant to one of the foods I consumed during my 12 days. I went through my meals plan and I am thinking it's either cauliflower or coconut. I used coconut oil for the frying purposes and I used light coconut milk for rich soups and my breakfast cauliflower "porridges". Tomorrow I am gonna do all whole30 from the beginning only without the coconut products and we'll see how my energy and pains be then.

So my point is, maybe there was something in your diet that you do not tolerate that well which caused all the terribleness during your whole30. It's worth looking into :)

I was 7 days in and went off last night too. We got given amazing box seats for an international NFL game and I just thought, "This is a once in a lifetime thing. Screw it. I want that cheesecake (and ribs and corndog)."

Afterwards I felt AWFUL, physically. And there is a big part of me that regrets it. But you know what? Today isn't going to suck as bad as my first Day 1 did because I know what to eat and now I know how much better I feel when I'm eating the right food. I'm doing a whole40 now (I just like round numbers...sounds better than a whole37) and I am going to do it well because I know that I don't want to feel like I did last night after eating.

So hang in there. You're not alone. I swore up and down that there is no way I'd find myself in a restart position, but I did. But really, it doesn't matter because I gained so much mental information from this that it's going to make my next 30 days infinitely easier than my first 6 were.

Archived