Fruit and the Whole30

Melly88

I need a definitive answer on fruit and how to incorporate it into the Whole 30.  I know to include it with a meal (not necessarily on its own for various sound reasons). But how often should I be eating it?

I have seen it stated to eat fruit "occasionally" or "limited".  Is that once per day or 2-3 times per week?  What is a good rule of thumb on this?

Thanks!

There are no definitive answers. The choices are yours. The recommendations generally are once a day, if at all (and you don't have to eat fruit), as part of a meal and not to let fruit push veggies off your plate. All of that sums up to "occasionally".

Ask yourself some questions: how do you feel as and after you eat fruit? Does it make you hungrier? Encourage sugar cravings? Are you heaping your plate with veggies? (1-3 cups each meal)? If so, enjoy some fruit. 

(And personally, I'd ban dried fruit (and Rx bars and Lara bars) as they contribute to problems and disappointing results for many people.)

5 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

There are no definitive answers. The choices are yours. The recommendations generally are once a day, if at all (and you don't have to eat fruit), as part of a meal and not to let fruit push veggies off your plate. All of that sums up to "occasionally".

Ask yourself some questions: how do you feel as and after you eat fruit? Does it make you hungrier? Encourage sugar cravings? Are you heaping your plate with veggies? (1-3 cups each meal)? If so, enjoy some fruit. 

(And personally, I'd ban dried fruit (and Rx bars and Lara bars) as they contribute to problems and disappointing results for many people.)

This is great! I work really well with clear rules.  So, for me I am going to say "not more than ONE serving ONCE a day".  I found that I was eating it more frequently (2-3 times a day) and I felt like my progress was slowing down.  I have also noticed that the Larabars and RX Bars are tricky.  Great to have on hand in a pinch... but too tempting since they are on hand. Catch 22!!! 

2 hours ago, TryingOver said:

@Melly88 A lot of people find Epic bars to be a better emergency food option because they aren't as sweet (more like beef jerky) and therefore pose less of a temptation. We keep some for when I have to travel for work. 

I've never actually had an emerge on Whole30 LOL. But I do keep food in my studio or carry a meal with me when my schedule is challenging. I always have tinned fish or chicken, olives, and tins of veggies on hand. 

8 hours ago, TryingOver said:

@Melly88 A lot of people find Epic bars to be a better emergency food option because they aren't as sweet (more like beef jerky) and therefore pose less of a temptation. We keep some for when I have to travel for work. 

I have tried the Epic bars... and they were an Epic Fail for me.  Great flavor (I had the Habanero Cherry Beef)... but it had a sawdust like texture.  And for the cost...  not worth it for me.  I will look into some other quick and easy "snacky" foods that can be cobbled together to make a Whole30 plate and just keep those on hand. Thanks!!!

PS - I would LOVE to travel that much!  As long as it was to exciting places and not 100% work the whole time. :-)

Archived