Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Michele324 said:

Yay! I'm in. Day 1 for me!

Michele from Boston, MA

Hi Michelle! Good luck!

Most of us are on Day 10, so hopefully we can furnish you with tips as you go along, because we've been there!

5 hours ago, queenE said:

Checking in on Day 9 (For me).  Things are going well.  I feel good and have noticed some changes in my body.  I am still struggling with food intolerance, but have taken steps to eliminate the products that aggravate me- olive oil being the hardest.  It is interesting that the symptoms I associated with milk allergy may actually be caused by olive oil and not dairy! 

Starting this evening, I have social commitments for the next 4 nights!  I am planning on eating before I go, but staying away from the bar will be a challenge.  I am armed with the tips I read in the Whole30 email, so hopefully I will be ok.  

I hope you all are having a great day!  Keep up the good work!

You can do this!!!

So tired today. Went to bed late and woke up early to prepare for an exam. My endometriosis and IBS are flaring up together today.

I have been compliant but not eaten enough. My tummy is bloated and sore and I feel fat. I am hungry and cranky (have only eaten chicken thighs for dinner, I know I know!).

Had 3 hour exam and afterwards every one had doughnuts and chocolate to celebrate. I got to enjoy a black tea and fresh raspberries. Crappy day all round. Its only 7pm here in Australia but I'm already in bed happy to put an end to today. Tomorrow will be better but at least I was compliant!! Just not feeling this plan is worth it today. 

Night all. 

12 hours ago, queenE said:

Checking in on Day 9 (For me).  Things are going well.  I feel good and have noticed some changes in my body.  I am still struggling with food intolerance, but have taken steps to eliminate the products that aggravate me- olive oil being the hardest.  It is interesting that the symptoms I associated with milk allergy may actually be caused by olive oil and not dairy! 

Starting this evening, I have social commitments for the next 4 nights!  I am planning on eating before I go, but staying away from the bar will be a challenge.  I am armed with the tips I read in the Whole30 email, so hopefully I will be ok.  

I hope you all are having a great day!  Keep up the good work!

hi @queenE

how did you work out that you had an issue with olive oil? I've never heard of OO being a culprit before but I have been using a lot of OO the last week because I've run out of ghee and my endo and IBS are flaring. Wondering it OO could be a trigger. Do you mind sharing what you know about OO? 

Thanks in advance. 

Happy Day 11!  Glad we're in the double digits :)  I've been trying to think of a NSV to share, and mine is regarding my attitude towards food.  I've noticed my relationship with both food & alcohol is becoming healthier, even in this relatively short amount of time.  In the past, I've felt guilty for thinking about food too much- like not thinking about it would somehow be the magic cure to losing weight.  On more than one occasion, my plan has been to try and overschedule myself so that I didn't have time to eat.  SO UNHEALTHY!  Now, I'm realizing that it's ok to think about tomorrow's breakfast or Sunday's dinner, even though it's only Thursday.  Why the heck not?  Food can and should be fun (and not just when you're eating or drinking your favorite fill-in-the-blank indulgence).   

Thanks for being a great group of supportive people to go along on this journey with.  Here's to health and happiness ~ and tiger blood coming soon!

10 minutes ago, jessdoit said:

Happy Day 11!  Glad we're in the double digits :)  I've been trying to think of a NSV to share, and mine is regarding my attitude towards food.  I've noticed my relationship with both food & alcohol is becoming healthier, even in this relatively short amount of time.  In the past, I've felt guilty for thinking about food too much- like not thinking about it would somehow be the magic cure to losing weight.  On more than one occasion, my plan has been to try and overschedule myself so that I didn't have time to eat.  SO UNHEALTHY!  Now, I'm realizing that it's ok to think about tomorrow's breakfast or Sunday's dinner, even though it's only Thursday.  Why the heck not?  Food can and should be fun (and not just when you're eating or drinking your favorite fill-in-the-blank indulgence).   

Thanks for being a great group of supportive people to go along on this journey with.  Here's to health and happiness ~ and tiger blood coming soon!

My attitude towards alcohol has shifted dramatically. Going from multiple beers/night to zero has certainly been a change. I'm going to bed sooner, working out more, and just genuinely feel different. Better. The first week was tough because it was such a drastic shift. But, I'm feeling good now. I don't mind going home and not pouring a beer. I'm glad I took this on. I'm thinking by the end of the 30 days my whole attitude towards alcohol will change.

10 hours ago, maggiemay said:

hi @queenE

how did you work out that you had an issue with olive oil? I've never heard of OO being a culprit before but I have been using a lot of OO the last week because I've run out of ghee and my endo and IBS are flaring. Wondering it OO could be a trigger. Do you mind sharing what you know about OO? 

Thanks in advance. 

Maggiemay,

I am going to give you a long explanation to answer your question, but feel you may benefit from my experience.

Several years ago I suddenly developed allergies to everything - make up, soap, lotion, hairspray....  Little did I know, I also had intolerance or allergies to food too.  In effort to solve the mystery as to why all of a sudden I was having so many reactions, I had my blood tested for food sensitivities.  A compounding drug store in my town offered the Alcat blood test, and while it wasn't cheap, it gave me lots of information.  I also had an allergist run a skin patch test on me to see what was causing my skin to be so sensitive.  I had pretty much decided on my own it was coconut and coconut derivatives which are in everything in the beauty section! 

Alcat gives you lists of food you are highly, moderately, and mildly reactive to then suggest you eliminate those foods from your diet for a period of time, then reintroduce or consume on a rotation type frequency.  My list for highly reactive things included things I was eating everyday- Olive Oil being one of them.  The moderate Reactive list had 37 food/spice items (including caseins), and the mild intolerance list had about the same number (gluten being on this list).  I was overwhelmed by the amount of things I couldn't or shouldn't have, but as I started eliminating the things on my list, I noticed my skin and digestive issues easing up!  (I thought it was just normal to rush to the potty several times each morning- if you know what I mean!) 

I noticed the most improvement when I stopped dairy- especially digestive issues.  If I have sage, the inside of my mouth becomes raw and blistery, same with cucumber.  I try to limit the olives I eat, but never paid special attention to using olive oil because I didn't think I really ingested very much.  (At one point I was using olive oil as a moisturizer but quit when I started having a reaction to it). When I notice something different in my skin, mouth,  or potty habits, I can usually trace it back to something on this list.

I started the whole30 to get off of sugar, improve my skin and nails, and level out my hormones.  During the first week my tummy and skin were 'sick' like they are when I have dairy- even though I had no dairy.  I became suspicious of the ghee and asked around to make sure it was dairy free.  I went back to my Alcat list and the only connection I could make was the Olive Oil.  On Monday, I stopped using the OO, switching to coconut oil, and safflower seed oil.  I have also stopped using the ghee and use beef tallow instead.  I am happy to report that my digestion is back to normal and my skin is better than it has been in a long time!  My plan is to reintroduce ghee next week to see if it is causing any trouble, but I fully suspect it is the OO. 

Since I have been trying to figure out what products or food bother me over the past several years, I have developed the skill of retracing my steps.  If I notice something different in my skin- pimples on my face for example, then I look at what I have recently  eaten, cleaned with or come in contact with.  I can usually find the culprit and avoid it.  Just an interesting tidbit, My husband got a flavored bourbon that was very tasty.  In the evening I would have a serving- not a full glass and not more than one glass.  The next morning I felt like I had been run over by a truck- my body hurt, my head hurt,  my tummy was upset like I had consumed the whole bottle.  My body does not like bourbon- not even the smallest amount!

I am sorry to be so long winded about this, but it may be helpful in making you feel better.  Initially I would try to write everything down, look for common ingredients, eliminate one ingredient, and see how things go.  I highly recommend the Alcat blood test.  It has been helpful for me.  

Good luck and I hope I have been helpful to you or someone else struggling with IBS.

13 hours ago, maggiemay said:

So tired today. Went to bed late and woke up early to prepare for an exam. My endometriosis and IBS are flaring up together today.

I have been compliant but not eaten enough. My tummy is bloated and sore and I feel fat. I am hungry and cranky (have only eaten chicken thighs for dinner, I know I know!).

Had 3 hour exam and afterwards every one had doughnuts and chocolate to celebrate. I got to enjoy a black tea and fresh raspberries. Crappy day all round. Its only 7pm here in Australia but I'm already in bed happy to put an end to today. Tomorrow will be better but at least I was compliant!! Just not feeling this plan is worth it today. 

Night all. 

@maggiemay Don't give up. Great job pushing through all those obstacle''s too. It's certainly not easy to do so, especially when your overworked, tired, and hungry! But we are all looking at the bigger picture here with you too, optimal health. We're in day 11, we can do this!

holy crap guys I just realized I'm on day 12! I've been so busy this week cramming that I was out of step on which day it was. I though I was only day 10 yesterday lol but no I'm onto day 12 already!

I feel much better today, slept well last night as I have been since I started whole30 actually but that does not always translate into feeling refreshed the next day. But today I feel great. I went shopping and stocked up on some more ghee and veggies.

@Laurie_ Thank you! Yes it feels much easier with people to vent to on here, I would have given up by now!

@queenE also thank you for taking to answer me. Its funny you should mentions spots because I have woken up this morning with 4 on my chin and jaw, I was super clear yesterday! My tummy feels a lot better today and I have not touched OO! I'm back using Ghee now. I'm supposed to be doing the FODMAP diet too as my Dr says it will help with my IBS but I found it too restrictive to do whilst doing this too but I'm thinking now I just need to suck it up and adhere to the FODMAP rules too in order to truly get the best out of this elimination diet. My lower GI is all hot and angry and I need to help it heal! May as well do this properly. I'm going to look into visiting a Naturopath that has been recommended to me and will see if they can help.

Ok back to work for me. Have a shoulder of lamb with veggies in the slow cooker for later, can't wait for that yum! Also going to do up some bone broth when we have eaten it all.

Happy day 12 guys!!!  

Day 12! I'm still going along. I managed to prep too much food last weekend, but the upside is I'll have quite a bit of back-up meals in the freezer for emergencies. It is taking practice, but I'm slowly getting better at planning properly so I have the right amount of food with the least amount of prep time. I had my meal planning process perfected pre-Whole30, but it was fairly grain and dairy heavy, so adjusting to the meat and vegetable focus is taking some time.

The hardest thing right now is that my coworkers like to go out for lunch together on Fridays. They don't choose the restaurant until they're leaving, which doesn't give me any time to research ahead of time, plus the only restaurant I know of nearby where I can eat is Chipotle. All my coworkers have been very nice and understanding about it, so that it isn't the issue. I just really miss the networking and the time outside of the office to get to know them all a bit better. I'm fairly new in their group, so I hate feeling like that much more of an outsider. On top of that, my wonderful husband, who is not doing the Whole30 with me, bought himself a whole box of raspberry danishes last night, when he knows I can't eat any. I have no intentions of quitting or giving up, but with no real changes yet, it really makes me question if this is worth it to me. Still, I have hope that I'll have some kind of NSV in the rest of the program, and I  know the adjustment in how I think about food, as well as new knowledge about how specific foods do or don't effect me, will be important and useful.

Hang in there @Thulily! Maybe do a little research on the possible restaurants before Friday rolls around so you're prepared for the choices. Maybe even suggest the restaurant to the group. The social aspect of eating plays a huge role in our lives so it becomes as important to figure out how to enjoy the outing along with making the best food choices. This sounds like one of those times when you have to remember the reason that you started the W30 in the first place. You got this!

Thank you for the encouragement, @Hockey4Life. I have been working on focusing on the reasons I'm doing this, and it really does help. It's similar to how focusing on what I can eat is so much more positive than focusing on what I can't, and it turns out that I can eat a ton of delicious food, and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything.

@Thulily It is hard considering that food is what soma my people bond over and it seems to be what people surround themselves with during most special occasions. We typically have a teachers room with some sort of sweet treat on the tables, and it's usually emptied within a few hours of the start of the day. Food is a reward on so many levels. I've never been one to focus in food, unless I'm the baker because I LOVE to bake, but now learning more about the addictive qualities makes it so much easier to say no thanks! I haven't had aNY NSV yest either, but I'm not giving up like you because we will :)  Keep up the good work and Happy Day 12 everybody!!

Laurie x

On 3/29/2017 at 4:31 PM, Chris_ said:

Hi Michelle! Good luck!

Most of us are on Day 10, so hopefully we can furnish you with tips as you go along, because we've been there!

Thanks Chris! I'm on day 4 (with 2 previous days of very strict ramp-up) Feeling amazing so far! Loving this whole30!!!

I'm glad I found this.  I started March 20th also and would love to have some people to bounce ideas off. 

A little bit about me... I'm on r3d14. I tried round 3 in February but didn't make it all the way through.  I know when I feel better when I eat this way but when I'm stressed I go to chocolate,  coffee and wine. I'm trying different stress relievers in this round to try to find one or two that can be a replacement. 

Hi awesome Whole30ers! I started on March 20th (Sunday, right?) Anyway I'm on day 15 today!!  I was in a couple other groups that started at the same time as me, but they both fizzled out. Glad I found this too, @lucy2021.

So I love reading the timeline section of the book and totally woke up from a nap today dreaming that I'd eaten tortilla! lol! I had already eaten 2 bites and didn't notice til I was on bite 3. I totally felt guilty! So disappointed. But then I woke up and was just laughing!! I was just seriously surprised that I was following along with the timeline! Can't wait for "tigerblood"! 

As for symptoms, I've been really tired still and needing naps. That could also be partly because I'm just not getting a lot of sleep at night with a 6month old. She's a cutie. I am the mother of 7, and we all started off Whole30 together, but had to modify their journey because of finances. We ate 10 dozen eggs in 6 days. So they lasted a week, lol. Now my kids are eating oatmeal for breakfast and rice & beans for lunch (while I eat Whole30 separately) and then we all have Whole30 approved dinners together. 

@Thulily, that sounds super tough! You are doing great keeping strong. I would definitely be struggling if my hubby wasn't on board and staying away from sweets along with me. :-( That's why we're here! So glad I found this group!

So Saturday I was at an all day wrestling meet with my boys (ages 12, 11, and 8) and I stayed strong! I wasn't even really tempted by all the concession stands and their smells! I didn't allow myself to stay there mentally. I reallly could have prepared a little better, but for snacks we brought a container of tomatoes, oranges, leftover hamburger, and a cucumber we quartered between us. I also bought a container of fruit they had for sell. There was absolutely nothing else I could buy! I barely made it with hunger, but I didn't give in! :-D 

You guys are already inspiring me as I read your messages. So glad you're here! Look forward to checking back often! Yay for halfway!

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Nedster7 said:

Hi awesome Whole30ers! I started on March 20th (Sunday, right?) Anyway I'm on day 15 today!!  I was in a couple other groups that started at the same time as me, but they both fizzled out. Glad I found this too, @lucy2021.

So I love reading the timeline section of the book and totally woke up from a nap today dreaming that I'd eaten tortilla! lol! I had already eaten 2 bites and didn't notice til I was on bite 3. I totally felt guilty! So disappointed. But then I woke up and was just laughing!! I was just seriously surprised that I was following along with the timeline! Can't wait for "tigerblood"! 

As for symptoms, I've been really tired still and needing naps. That could also be partly because I'm just not getting a lot of sleep at night with a 6month old. She's a cutie. I am the mother of 7, and we all started off Whole30 together, but had to modify their journey because of finances. We ate 10 dozen eggs in 6 days. So they lasted a week, lol. Now my kids are eating oatmeal for breakfast and rice & beans for lunch (while I eat Whole30 separately) and then we all have Whole30 approved dinners together. 

@Thulily, that sounds super tough! You are doing great keeping strong. I would definitely be struggling if my hubby wasn't on board and staying away from sweets along with me. :-( That's why we're here! So glad I found this group!

So Saturday I was at an all day wrestling meet with my boys (ages 12, 11, and 8) and I stayed strong! I wasn't even really tempted by all the concession stands and their smells! I didn't allow myself to stay there mentally. I reallly could have prepared a little better, but for snacks we brought a container of tomatoes, oranges, leftover hamburger, and a cucumber we quartered between us. I also bought a container of fruit they had for sell. There was absolutely nothing else I could buy! I barely made it with hunger, but I didn't give in! :-D 

You guys are already inspiring me as I read your messages. So glad you're here! Look forward to checking back often! Yay for halfway!

Your snacks sound great... the one thing it's missing is fat.  You probably would have felt a bit better... avocado or olives would have worked perfectly!  Good for you for sticking it out!

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Your snacks sound great... the one thing it's missing is fat.  You probably would have felt a bit better... avocado or olives would have worked perfectly!  Good for you for sticking it out!

Great ideas. Thank you! I need to go shopping!

Is anyone figuring out the pre and post workout snacks (mini meals)? Generally I can get the pre-workout in but post workout seems too close to dinner for me. Yesterday I had an early hockey game so I ate 2 boiled eggs and a quarter of an avocado on my way to the game. Unfortunately that turned into my lunch and no post work-out meal and starving by dinner at 5ish by the time I made it home. Other than Sundays when I play hockey, my workouts are at 6 pm during the week. I think if I could get this piece of the puzzle figured out it would help with sleeping. It seems to take forever to fall asleep and then I wake up tired and don't want to get out of bed.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Hockey4Life said:

Is anyone figuring out the pre and post workout snacks (mini meals)? Generally I can get the pre-workout in but post workout seems too close to dinner for me. Yesterday I had an early hockey game so I ate 2 boiled eggs and a quarter of an avocado on my way to the game. Unfortunately that turned into my lunch and no post work-out meal and starving by dinner at 5ish by the time I made it home. Other than Sundays when I play hockey, my workouts are at 6 pm during the week. I think if I could get this piece of the puzzle figured out it would help with sleeping. It seems to take forever to fall asleep and then I wake up tired and don't want to get out of bed.

Your post-WO doesn't need to be a huge amount of food, just a few bites each of some lean protein and some starchy vegetable, so something like chicken or tuna and some sweet potato. It really shouldn't be so much that it affects your dinner too much. Try to take some chicken and sweet potato with you and eat it before you head home. It should be fine to leave unrefrigerated at room temperature for a few hours, but if you are concerned about that, find an insulated lunch bag to keep it in. 

Day 16 - How's everyone doing? I grumbled a bit this morning when the mirror doesn't reflect as much of a change as I think it should but by lunch time I was feeling better about it (thanks to the support in the FB group) and actually shared the website and a quick overview of W30 with 2 co-workers who are diabetic and trying to get it under control :)

18 hours ago, Hockey4Life said:

Day 16 - How's everyone doing? I grumbled a bit this morning when the mirror doesn't reflect as much of a change as I think it should but by lunch time I was feeling better about it (thanks to the support in the FB group) and actually shared the website and a quick overview of W30 with 2 co-workers who are diabetic and trying to get it under control :)

I am feeling a little discouraged too.  Over the weekend, I had what I would consider tiger blood!  I cleaned and organized everything I could get my hands on.  I had a great time at the parties I attended -even without drinks and party food. Then yesterday I felt horrible- I was tired, foggy headed and had a headache.  (I am suspicious that I had sugar in a meal I had, but cannot find the source. ) 

Is it normal to loose the tiger blood after it comes?  I am also looking carefully at what I am eating as I frequently feel like my hands and feet are swollen or puffy.  I have never thought I had a problem with nightshades, but now I am starting to wonder.  

I really have enjoyed the science side of this program and figuring out what is good for me and what is not.  The human body is an amazing machine!

Archived