Hey now :) I've had a few food freedom meals post my second W30 round and I find that my body reacts immediately, and a lot longer, to these off-path meals. 

Like, vomiting. Or sleeping all day after movie popcorn and diet soda (I know, very bad). And forget gluten! Even gluten free bread will alter the way my body works as opposed to the ease of things when I'm doing a W30. 

Does anyone else find that they've cleaned up their system and gotten into the habit of eating so well and whole, that the consequences of an off-plan meal are getting worse? 

I just wonder if I've made my body completely intolerant to less healthy, non-compliant foods. The alternative is to go back to the way I ate before and I'm NOT doing that, but I hear Melissa's words that it's not supposed to be Whole365, and I try to work things in but they kick my butt.  

Thanks for reading! 

cocnutty I agree, if I eat any 'fast food' or commercially produced food I immediately have consequences.  I think my body was always sensitive, it was just totally overloaded before.  Now that I've been eating clean if I do eat something bad for me my body can react quickly.  

I'm still trying to figure things out; I don't think it has to be a whole365, but I do think I'm going to end up eating like, 90% paleo.

@Georgina2 yes, same with me. My husband has reminded me of this many times that I have become such a healthy eater over the last few years that even compliant foods have caused issues. seen more Intolerances, etc. I went about 100 days in this last round of whole30 (my third successful w30). Learned about my body still reacting to foods and food patterns depending on the time of month, stress, etc. I have brought a few things back in on occasion like rice and beans, drank alcohol a few times, had some cheese a few times, 72% coca bar 2-3 times. I am almost ready to do another whole30 again...  In the past I have resorted to going back to some old habits (like pizza) but i have been 80-90% paleo over the last 5 years but this time, I can't get myself to go back to wheat. I think that has been the worst on my body. MIght happen someday but now with this last round, i have noticed how my body really reacts to fruit.  but yes I immediately have consequences as well.

• Administrators

@coconutty - no, it's not supposed to be Whole365. But you are meant to take the Whole30 foundation and then do reintroductions and see how foods affect you and then determine what you will and won't add back to your own life. Some people add back all the things and some people don't add anything back. They can if they want to but they have determined that the reaction/aftermath isn't worth it. Therefore it is no longer the rigid, rules-bound Whole30 anymore so much as it is that person's regular food choices.

The thing with "making yourself intolerant" is that in fact you did the opposite. You healed the gut and that means that the thick, protective mucosal lining that your gut formed over the years of being inundated with irritating foods, has sloughed off. No longer needed. Now when you eat something that bothers you, your stomach doesn't have that protective lining anymore and so you feel the results of the irritation more intensely/more quickly. That said, you could probably inoculate yourself to the irritants. Eat enough of them over time and your gut will create a barrier to try and protect itself.  But realistically is that what you want? Probably not.

Archived