Extreme Fogginess

JaeP

I just started the Whole30 on Saturday, March 18, and I have been nothing but exhausted and foggy since then. I work in a place that I need to be on point pretty much all the time and this fogginess is really worrying. As is the need to sleep ALL THE TIME. Did anyone else have this reaction or can tell me how long this might last? The Timeline I found under resources and in the book doesn't really seem to be applying to me at this point. :\ 

Thanks!

Hey @JaeP - welcome to the forums :)

A little brain fog is common in the early days as the body weans off sugar, however there are some things you can do to help - make sure you are drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily; be sure to salt your food as switching to whole foods can cause a decrease in sodium levels of up to 70% and your body needs sodium for normal functioning; be sure to include a generous serving of fat with every meal - this is over and above what you are using to cook with - you need fat for brain health. Fat is your friend ;) 

If you would like more specific feed back on your meals please feel free to post what you have been eating since Saturday, along with water intake & activity levels.

Hope this helps.

ETA: I'm moving your post from 'Resources' to the 'Troubleshooting' forum for a better fit.

Hunh! I hadn't even thought salt and sodium was a major thing. I've been cutting it out of my diet so long I never thought that I'd have to add it back in. I've been sticking to tea and water but, I admit, I'm lousy when it comes to remembering to hydrate properly. I'll probably never come close to the half an ounce per pound but I'll start keeping a better eye to my hydration.

Largely it's been apples, nuts, eggs (scrambled and hard boiled), salads with Brionna's french vinaigrette (yay no sugar!!), there was a chicken with olives and spinach dinner thrown in. We did the sweet potato bisque last night with a large salad. This morning we did the mushroom and sausage frittata from the cookbook and I've had some apple slices and tea. I'm about to (figuratively) attack my lunch. More salad and some shredded chicken with mayo, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and carrot sticks with some of the ranch dressing and a handful of almonds.

My fat has been primarily from the nuts, I think, or the eggs. Which I can never be certain are more protein or fat. Any help would be much appreciated!

1 minute ago, JaeP said:

My fat has been primarily from the nuts, I think, or the eggs. Which I can never be certain are more protein or fat. Any help would be much appreciated!

Nuts are a fat for Whole30 purposes, although an inferior one to be honest. we'd recommend you limit nut consumption (including butters/oils) to a closed handful (or equivalent) every other day max. Nuts are high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids which kind of outweighs the benefits of their omega 3s, and they can be hard on the digestive system - plus portion control is often an issue and people end up eating them mindlessly which we'd strongly discourage.

Whilst the yolk of an egg contains fat I'd always recommend adding another source to each meal for better satiety.

Try adding in some avocado, olives, compliant bacon, fatty cuts of meat like wings/thighs with skin on, coconut milk, clarified butter etc...

Eating fruit on it's own, or even along side some nuts, may well contribute to the brain fog so be sure to eat any fruit immediately after, or as part of a template meal - berries in a salad, pineapple/apple in a curry etc.

Building each of your meals to match the meal template will be key to your success - hope this helps!

2 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Try adding in some avocado, olives, compliant bacon, fatty cuts of meat like wings/thighs with skin on, coconut milk, clarified butter etc...

Would the Chomps work as well? I'm mostly thinking of things I can eat while I'm away from the house (lunches, quick "omg I feel like I'm going to die" snacks). 

4 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Eating fruit on it's own, or even along side some nuts, may well contribute to the brain fog

So fruit is a bad thing? The template was a little vague on this, actually. Or maybe my brain isn't comprehending anything right now. :\ Mostly I stick to apples or the Bolthouse drinks. Which is how I've always gotten my fruits and vegetables. I'm working on being better (trying, though I get the feeling I'm not succeeding?).

54 minutes ago, JaeP said:

Would the Chomps work as well? I'm mostly thinking of things I can eat while I'm away from the house (lunches, quick "omg I feel like I'm going to die" snacks). 

So fruit is a bad thing? The template was a little vague on this, actually. Or maybe my brain isn't comprehending anything right now. :\ Mostly I stick to apples or the Bolthouse drinks. Which is how I've always gotten my fruits and vegetables. I'm working on being better (trying, though I get the feeling I'm not succeeding?).

Chomps would be classed as a protein, and are fine for emergency use. Obviously if you can prepare for an emergecy yu can prepare to have real food - tins of tuna, pouches of olives etc work just as well. You'll find once you've ironed out any issues that you won;t get that 'OMG I must eat' feeling.... I can go 7-8hrs between meals if necessary, and often do, although I'm not suggesting you or anyone else should.

Fruit isn't inherently bad, but it is recommended to be kept to a maximum of 2 servings a day - that's 0-2 servings so eating none is perfectly fine. The fructose in fruit is processed by the liver and stored there until all available glucose is used. If it's not required it remains in the liver as fat. It will also spike blood suagr when eaten on it's own causing faux hunger, unstable energy etc. When eaten along side protein & fat it's not so bad as these macr nutrients slow down the digestion of the sugars.

I'm not familiar with Bolthouse drinks but if this is something you;re having alongside other veg then okay. If you're having this in place of othe veg then not so much... It's the act of chewing which kick starts the digestive process and so liquid food sends a different signal to the brain, leaving you less satiated, and therefore hungrier sooner.

Hope this helps.

Archived