Don't understand the snack situtation!

SQSDad

My wife and I just started the Whole30, we are on day 5, and I just do not understand the snack situation. In the book it says that they do not recommend snacking, but then I see multiple links on Twitter, Facebook, and in the Whole30 email that send you to partners who produce products that are Whole30 approved. One link had things like beef sticks and veggie chips which can only be considered a snack. So if I am hungry at night can I have an apple with some almond butter, a Larabar or something else approved? Or is snacking not allowed, because the book seems to say one thing and social media/Whole30 emails seem to say something else. 

Thanks,

Nick

The 'snack' items you see as Whole30 approved such as the larabars & beef sticks are for emergency use only, and in all honesty I've yet to see an emergency that warranted their use. If you can plan for an emergency you can plan to have real food  - tinned fish & olives are very portable and have a long shelf life too. A lot of people try the bars & then lean on them needlessly, although they may work well post Whole30 on your personal 'Food Freedom'.

If you're hungry at night you'd be better off eating a mini meal made up f at least two of the three food groups with protein and fat being your best option, so something like a hard boiled egg or some chicken with mayo, then reassess the size of your meals the next day - you're aiming for that 4-5hr window between meals in order to allow your digestive system some down time, and also to allow your body to tap into it's fat stores for fuel.

Hope this helps.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, SQSDad said:

My wife and I just started the Whole30, we are on day 5, and I just do not understand the snack situation. In the book it says that they do not recommend snacking, but then I see multiple links on Twitter, Facebook, and in the Whole30 email that send you to partners who produce products that are Whole30 approved. One link had things like beef sticks and veggie chips which can only be considered a snack. So if I am hungry at night can I have an apple with some almond butter, a Larabar or something else approved? Or is snacking not allowed, because the book seems to say one thing and social media/Whole30 emails seem to say something else. 

Thanks,

Nick

To me, the things you mentioned fit perfectly into my food freedom plan - I enjoy the way I feel when I eat whole30 compliant food, and sometimes (in my FF!) I like to snack. That's when I have lara bars, RXBars, Chomps, veggie chips etc. Since I am not officially doing a round of Whole30 it's totally cool to eat them as long as I understand my own context for wanting them. When I am doing a "real" round of W30 I don't touch those things.

Again, this is how I use foods like this in my food freedom, but just wanted to offer a different perspective. Mini meals as "snacks" during a w30 is definitely your best bet :)

Hey all, please note that effective April 1, 2017 all store bought chips are no longer Whole30 compliant. This decision was made with our Whole30ers in mind so that everyone can get the most out of their Whole30 and clear up prior confusion. Best wishes!

Archived