March 27 start, Time to SHINE!!

cortadoplease

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. And your prepping has started, or will be starting! ;)

I worked out some of the kinks in my 'soft' start this weekend. I feel like some things have been easier, some tougher, and some the same as my first round on W30! Certainly, the sugar/carb withdrawal is there already :wacko: It comes on very strong so having a solid meal plan for this first week will be critical for me. I am coming up with a mantra in the moments of difficulty. Something like: "I am making positive changes. I love my body and treat it well'. I'm still working on the exact wording.

I'd also like to create meals that will be sustainable post-W30. This 30 days will give me plenty of time to think about that haha I miss my old breakfasts! :( It's time to fall in :wub: with eggs LOLOL

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, I've bought plenty of fish and eggs for this week. Eggs are soft-boiled the night before. I cut up about 20 cups of kale. It'll probably take me about 4 days to get through that. I made another round of Ginger Carrot Sweet Potato Soup. I make my own version but it's mostly this one. I also made a Roasted cauliflower jalapeno soup. Similar to this one minus the bacon. I usually add either ground meat, ground turkey, or some kind of white fish to these soups. Having them all ready in the fridge will help me this week!

I go to yoga in the mornings, so my usual wakeup is a shot of ACV + lemon juice, and a 0.5L of water. Meditation, and then a coffee. Breakfast will have to happen after yoga. I'm still working on what I'd like that to be! :) Maybe something with @bronnyd hollandaise sauce. Yum!

:) WOW @mariannne you got it going today!! That soup recipes sound delightful. It has been on my mind to make bone broth so I'll be doing that and a slow-cook beef stew with mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and rosemary. Both easy and good. And I'll also be chopping up kale and chard for about fourish days worth. Was thinking of procrastinating this until tomorrow but reading your post has motivated me to dooo iiiittt. It's about to rain anyhow. 

Prepping today! Making hardboiled eggs for breakfast on the go with fruit. I usually hit the gym before work so I need something easy and portable. Making tuna salad to have for lunch for the first few days of the week. Also roasting a chicken that will be the basis for the next few dinners. Excited to start! Happy to have a thread full of people starting together. Good luck on day 1 everyone!

@bronnyd I made bone broth this weekend! It cost me about $8.50 to make what would have cost over $100 if I ordered the same grass fed broth online! Plus I had bones leftover for my dogs to enjoy! I filled 5 kombucha bottles with broth, put 2 cups in a soup for tonight, and filled 5 ice cube trays to have in the coming weeks :)

@Eye of the Tiger that is some productivity. Love that you saved so much dough from making the bone broth 

43 minutes ago, Eye of the Tiger said:

@mariannne I will probably do a second w30 after the first week of June. I will be in CO on vacation the end of May / beginning of June on vacation. I plan on having some dairy and gluten free baked goods during my vaca! Days 5 and 6 were hard for me too, as in still the cravings and very low energy!

I did a 'soft' start this weekend ... more of a 'rehearsal'. I'm already feeling the cravings for sugar. It feels like my body is on 'wtf mode'. Alarm bells are sounding :wacko:  lol  I've been going really easy on myself today. Focusing on a restful day and treating myself well. It's been easy to say 'no'. Thankfully I know that sugar is the worst lover I've had. It will love me and leave me. No good can come of 'going back'. I treated myself to a nice yoga today, got some fresh air, ate W30 meals, and I'm listening to some calming piano music. Nothing like a good distraction ;) The cravings will be gone soon! 

Not to scare anyone out there! I'm sure there'll be plenty of people not having cravings. ;) 

Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone is off to a great start today.

Yesterday I did lots of prepping.  Cooked a whole chicken then made bone broth, made mayo, ranch dressing, balsamic vinigarette, fresh salsa and chopped up lots of veggies.

I started the morning with scrambled eggs with sauteed mushrooms and onions then had fresh salsa and gruac on them.  They were yummy but i can already tell I will get sick of eggs in the morning.

I usually have a smoothie in the morning with greek yogurt, almond milk, spinach and frozen fruit so this is a change.

Does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast that isnt eggs or leftover meals from the day before?

Thanks in advance and have a super day!

Good morning,

Starting today too!! :D

Really need to get things under control. I'm an emotional eater and eat when stressed and bored and really need to stop. I've gained 60lbs :( in the last 2 years, and just had a mentality of not caring. But I had to buy some new pants the other day, and it was a sad day. I'm tired of feeling like crap all the time. I'm tired of the food guilt as well...it's a vicious circle of emotional eating there. And it's starting to affect my relationship with my boyfriend and it's not good. I take all my feelings out on him, and he doesn't deserve that.

I've been doing a bit of a soft start. I ate 80/20 whole 30 last week. It was good. And yesterday we ate like crap to get it out of our system and enjoy a last meal. 

3 hours ago, NatCanada said:

Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone is off to a great start today.

Yesterday I did lots of prepping.  Cooked a whole chicken then made bone broth, made mayo, ranch dressing, balsamic vinigarette, fresh salsa and chopped up lots of veggies.

I started the morning with scrambled eggs with sauteed mushrooms and onions then had fresh salsa and gruac on them.  They were yummy but i can already tell I will get sick of eggs in the morning.

I usually have a smoothie in the morning with greek yogurt, almond milk, spinach and frozen fruit so this is a change.

Does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast that isnt eggs or leftover meals from the day before?

Thanks in advance and have a super day!

For breakfast I've been going homemade breakfast sausage patties with a veggie (usually carrot sticks) and a small handful of nuts. And I'm good until lunch time. I made pork ones. Ground pork, garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, smokey paprika, bit of nutmeg, salt, pepper and sage. Just fry a piece to try to see if you like the mix. Then form into patties and freeze. I bake them up in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes cause I nuke them for breakfast.

I'm not a big egg fan. I am learning to like them though. But I think I will have them for dinners and on weekends, cause I already get up super early and eat at work in the morning. 

Looking forward to this month!

Helloooo All and Happy Official Day 1. 

Did some prep yesterday, chopped up my collard greens and kale washed all the chard for easy prep. I don't prechop the chard because it's a little more delicate than the collards. Also made a delectable slow cooker beef stew and added a couple Ts tomato paste and about two cups chopped tomatoes to this recipe. It came out perfect.

Meal 1 today was a couple bites of the stew with the last of my creamy zucchini-eggs, also called oatless oatmeal, which is a little SWYPO, according to moderators. Thanks to moderator @ShannonM816, who explained that this recipe, while healthy, doesn't completely follow the recommended template, I added some sautéed collards and a piece of bacon to meal 1 today.

I also now include a couple whole eggs in the oatless oatmeal, and omit the banana (I add just a little banana to this when I heat it up - like 1/4 small banana), and changed the name to creamy zucchini-eggs. :) @NatCanada this is fast and easy to make, a great meal 1 for people on the go. I double the recipe and make enough for about fourish days. It's also a wonderful post w/o snack, esp since most of it is egg whites. 

@Miranda E I hear you about the emotional eating - my challenge there is in the evening when I'm by myself. So part of my W30 commitment is no grazing after 7 p.m. If I work out at night, I allow myself post w/o snack of some egg whites and/or squash or a bite of stew with potato but that's it. Those sausages sound scrumptious. 

Making bone broth today. 

Yay for starting W30 everyone! Let's keep on. 

xob

I haven't really cleaned out my pantry yet. But a lot of the stuff in there has been in there for awhile...I'll make that a weekend project and donate to the local food bank what I can.

I did start with some cleaning up on my friend's list for Facebook. The friend's I removed use to be real close friends of mine. I started seeing my current boyfriend, and I don't know what happened between us. Everyone else I know loves him and thinks we are a great pair. But these 3 just decided to stop being my friend. And it has taken 2 years for me to finally let them go. I cried and ate over it for about a year because I don't understand why they couldn't be my friends anymore. And of course they decided to stop being my friends at the same time I quit my job and jumped into a completely different career in the trades where having support from friends is SO important. And it was just downward spiralled from there:(  

But Ive decided I can't hang on to it anymore. It's not healthy and definitely not helping. So moving forward now!

Good luck to everyone starting today!  You can do this!  If this is your first round just know that if you're having a tough day during this process, or a tough week, you will get through it!  It's just 30 days.  And it gets easier and better!! :)

Day 23 of my first round, going strong now.  But I've had some challenging days for sure!

Hi All!  I am starting today too!

I too did a soft start about 2 weeks ago and started removing the cream and sugar from my coffee, reducing the sugar and grains, etc. It definitely helped on the coffee front. i tried going cold turkey to coconut milk the first day and couldnt do it... so i slowly reduced the amount of creamer and now i can semi enjoy a compliant coffee!

short backstory: ive eaten badly more than i have eaten healthy for most of my life. i had some success with macro counting in the past but wasnt able to stick with it. I got pregnant last winter and ate ALL THE THINGS while i was pregnant. i continued to eat ALL THE THINGS after i had the baby so naturally im still holding on to 30 extra lbs :-/  im tired of feeling tired and not in control. I even attempted a whole 30 (and made it 5 day) when i was about 2 month post partum. clearly not the brightest idea due to the amount of cooking. so now im doing it for real :)

Welcome @AAdamsdohn   @Laura Mazz and @Miranda E

@bronnyd I love the name change on the oatless oats. It's actually more accurate to call it creamy zucchini eggs. That is what it is! I'm putting a half of a small banana in mine and it's great! It's actually a really huge meal!!! I just blend everything up in a blender with the zucchini going in last (I still want it to look like it's been grated) and put it in my slow cooker over night. Tadaa! It's ready for me in the morning.

5 hours ago, Miranda E said:

I did start with some cleaning up on my friend's list for Facebook. The friend's I removed use to be real close friends of mine. I started seeing my current boyfriend, and I don't know what happened between us. Everyone else I know loves him and thinks we are a great pair. But these 3 just decided to stop being my friend. And it has taken 2 years for me to finally let them go. I cried and ate over it for about a year because I don't understand why they couldn't be my friends anymore. And of course they decided to stop being my friends at the same time I quit my job and jumped into a completely different career in the trades where having support from friends is SO important. And it was just downward spiralled from there:(  

But Ive decided I can't hang on to it anymore. It's not healthy and definitely not helping. So moving forward now!

This is what I love about doing a Whole30. It's a great time to do a detox including relationships that no longer serve you. I'm cleaning up my relationship with myself during this Whole30. @Miranda E you deserve so much better than these people. I've been there and I feel how tough that can be. It's a great opportunity to make some new BETTER friends! ;)

1 hour ago, ncoughlin said:

Hi All!  I am starting today too!

I too did a soft start about 2 weeks ago and started removing the cream and sugar from my coffee, reducing the sugar and grains, etc. It definitely helped on the coffee front. i tried going cold turkey to coconut milk the first day and couldnt do it... so i slowly reduced the amount of creamer and now i can semi enjoy a compliant coffee!

@ncoughlinwelcome! Hallelujah to figuring out the coffee! Me too! :)

The day has been good so far with meals. During my soft start, I didn't have much of an appetite but today it seems to be back! I felt a bit tired around 4pm today. I'm staying hydrated in hopes that'll pick up my energy until the next meal. I'm not hungry, just tired. I have a yoga class at 6pm today and I'm curious how I'll be doing. I intend to go easy on myself for these first 10 days or so. I will show up to yoga per usual but I won't be expecting miracles! haha  

I also workout late some days (sometimes not getting back from yoga until 8:30pm). I struggled with how much food I should be eating. I want a full meal but it's just too late in the day to have a proper meal. I'll be taking a note from @bronnyd  Perhaps a half serving of protein and a half serving of carbs. I've also programmed my phone for an alarm to go off for Last Meal of the Day. My sleep is going to be so great tonight!!!  

How's Day 1 going for everyone? :) 

Hello everyone! This is my second Whole30. I did my first in Spring of 2014. Then I did a few Whole Life Challenges. Then I moved to Minnesota and rediscovered dairy (read: dairy addiction, that is). This time, I'm trying to focus on letting go of things in my life that don't line up with my goals and dreams. 

Food today: breakfast was pretty typical: egg scramble with onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and avocado; coffee with coconut cream (refrigerate the can of milk, put the solid in the magic bullet along with some of the leftover liquid and whip). At work: snack of smoked oysters; green tea and lots of water. Lunch: pork roast with carrots and celery along with sauteed coriander cabbage and green bean. Snack: 4 macadamia nuts, 4 lettuce leaves, 2 slices of turkey drizzled with yellow mustard. Dinner: grilling pork chops (Ono seasoning, pepper and Cajun spices) and steamed asparagus with ghee and sea salt. 

Not even dinner time and I've already got my 10k steps goal for the day. Pretty low energy though. Trying to work on a lot of the mind set pieces this time around - not just food, but my relationship and attitude toward that food. I did realize that I was planning on rewarding myself with the turkey-lettuce snack above if I only took the train halfway home. So, my lesson today: food is not a reward but I've always treated it like that. I need to come up with five alternative rewards tonight before bed to take the place of food rewards. 

Happy to be here, looking forward to get to know you all better. :)

I too need to think of non food rewards. It's just cheaper and easier to reward yourself with a cookie.

Dinner tonight is Nom Nom Paleo's instant pot kalua pig with cabbage and roasted carrots and sweet potatoes.

I love orange veggies! !

Good morning all,

Happy day 2.  I hope everyone had a successful day 1.

Yesterdat for lunch I made a big salad with the roasted chicken i made and some walnuts.  I used the ranch dressing i made and it was actually really yummy!  

For dinner I made spaghetti squash and ground beef with a tomato/red pepper sauce over it.

Had the usual eggs this morning (already getting sick of them) and am having leftovers for lunch.  Im trying my hand at the coconut curry chicken tonight.  I will let you know how it goes.

I have a slight headache today and woke up this morning thinking "what did i get myself into".  Im over it now and feeling good!

Have a great day all.

Starting day 6 today.  I was thinking last night that I am getting sick of all the vegetables I'm eating.  I will try changing it up a bit. 

I also had some headaches but they don't last long...for me they could be weather related.   

Tonight I am making stuffed peppers with ground turkey.   Yum.

I know you aren't supposed to weigh yourself but I couldn't resist [edited by moderator]

Have a great day everyone :)

36 minutes ago, Diannhayden said:

I know you aren't supposed to weigh yourself but I couldn't resist

Not weighing is as much a rule as not eating dairy or grains, or not drinking alcohol. I've edited your post to remove your findings so as not to encourage/discourage others even though I'm aware this would not have been your intention.

Please be aware that weight loss is not linear, and that number will naturally fluctuate on a daily basis depending on sodium levels, liquid intake, sleep (or lack thereof), and hormones to name but a few. Bear in mind that trading fat for lean muscle may mean weight gain, but inches lost.

The number tomorrow may be higher or lower which tells you nothing about the state of your health, only your gravitational pull on earth. 

Focus your energy on the non scale victories and discover how liberating that can be.

day 2.... kind of feel like a zombie... not sure if thats from the whole 30 or if its from me deciding this morning was a good morning to go to an Orange Theory class at 5 am :-/ 

had breakfast casserole and an apple w almond butter for breakfast. taco salad planned for lunch and bunless turkey burgers and cauliflower tots for dinner

Archived