March 27 start, Time to SHINE!!

cortadoplease

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All

Yay Day Tres :) Hah that was off the top of my head.......

Yesterday was hellalazy but guess I needed to rest. Did get the three major items crossed off my list for work and did make it to my cross row class but it was hard. As in I almost quit hard. But I didn't. Felt dizzy tired with sluggish digestion but kept on. Feel much better this morning. 

Loving my stew, yesterday's meal 2 with chopped chard thrown in and last night's meal 3 was a little bit of salmon (half portion) and broccoli and then after my cross row class, a small bowl of my zucchini/egg whites with five blueberries. I was really satisfied. Also having zucchini/eggs for my meal 1 this week until it's gone. 

So this morning I drank a glass of lemon water (every morning) and did 30 mins yoga before meal 1. Then I found a 25 min. yoga for digestion vid on Yoga International - so after this post, I'm going for a 20 min walk and doing that second digestion yoga session. My work schedule is flex and I have more time for self care, Thank Goddess, cuz I need it.

@harpchick I'm planning on getting some training sneaks today too! My reward for signing on to gym classes this month. 

@sooladybug that jerk raspberry chicken with plantains sounds awesome! Do you have recipe?

Today my motto is - breathe deep and step out with an open heart. 

Yup.

happy day 3 everyone! I'm struggling a little bit with eating properly around my morning workouts. I've been combining my post-workout meal with meal 1, but it's 10:00am and I'm at work and starving! I wake up at 5:30 and go to the gym around 6:15, then to work at 7:30... so already eating meal 1 on the go in between gym and work. I work at a hospital so really no down time to eat once I get to work. But it seems like I do need to fit in a post work out meal and meal 1 so I'm not too hungry. Thoughts on good portable options for either of these meals would be great! Hope everyone is feeling ok today. 

Hi! I officially started today (with 3 days ramp-up because I could not part with my Siggy's yogurt). I was able to cut everything out for most of the week- and am off and running full-throttle today. Feel a little spacey and weepy these past few days. Has that happened to anyone else? Very excited to "own my own" again!

xxx and good energy to all,

Michele

Boston/ Canton MA

Hello all!

Welcome to the new additions. I love the idea of being a Warrior this month! Woot!!! 

I decided to tweak my meals today. I know I'm not supposed to do this but I've decided to time the intervals between meals to ensure I don't become ravenous! It's about 5 hours between each major meal. . I've also decided to eat a couple of extra eggs with my breakfast so that I'm fine until lunch! Let's see how it goes! ;)

My energy has been okay but not great. I'm exhausted. I need some Warrior juice!!!! My body is going through a clear detox... I have some breakouts that cannot be explained with PMS or food allergies Nothing major but it's definitely new! This happened in my first W30, as well. It's okay... it won't be here for long ;)

Thanks for the inspo to make a non-food rewards list. I've been brainstorming and geez, I can't wait to go shopping!!! haha 

How's everyone else doing? 

Day 3 is done!  I felt good today, went to the gym this morning and no headache today.  We had yummy roasted turkey breast with roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash and a baked potato for supper!  All in all a pretty good day.  A bit scared for the next couple of days because my boyfriend and bff are struggling more with energy and the need to "kill all things" lol 

@bronnyd The recipe is from the Whole30 cookbook, I'll write it out tomorrow for you.  I'll be honest, I'd do it now but it's all the way upstairs lol

I felt good today. Probably because I had a 2.5 hour nap yesterday :D

Went to the mall after work. The craving for a snack was annoying, made me kinda cranky. I wasn't hungry but it was a habit. And then I was putting stuff in the pantry and absent mind reached for the chocolate (cause I always have a piece when I'm in there) caught myself real fast. It's crazy the ingrained bad food habits.

Boyfriend is having pizza for dinner.<_< which is okay. It smells good so I want a piece, but I'm not craving it. Had chicken legs tossed in garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper and a bit of Franks. With roasted potato and carrots with a big handful of the kale salad. Yum!

Day 3 feeling pretty good energy wise but ravenous between meals! Managed to only snack once. Are we supposed to adjust meal size if we find we're hungry? I can't quite remember what it said in ISWF. 

I love reading about everyone's meals! @sooladybug your roast turkey description has my tummy grumbling  

@Michele324 I was also feeling a bit emotional today too - I might be able to chalk it up to PMS but it was a bit weird for me. 

@Miranda E thanks for the fish sauce tip! I might have to head to Save-on. As far as bacon goes..if you're in St. Albert - have you ever checked out the deli on Perron? I know they have nitrate free bacon and  gluten free items - you might luck out! Also somewhere else I read the Costco brand low sodium bacon was compliant? Seems too good to be true. I did get cheap(er) avocado oil at Costco to make homemade mayo. 

Ladies, yes, if you are ravenous between meals then increase the volume next time around - we don't want you to be hungry, nad meal size often takes some tweakingin the early days, as does composition. Are you including enough fat? This is what will provide satiety & energy.

With regard to recipes please do not type out any copyrighted material from the books, but if the recipes yo are recommending are available free online by all means link to them.

Anyone feeling a little anxious or emotional - are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg each day?

hello everyone, tomorrow is day 1 of my first whole30. I am spending some time tonight getting connected to a support group (y'all!) and journaling about my intentions while sipping on some nice soothing nettle, fennel and peppermint tea. 

i will be a few days behind all of you that started on the 27th, following your wisdom and experiences and sharing my own. i look forward to this journey, i have already been living without wheat and dairy for about 5 months, and have cut down on refined sugars a great deal. 

some of my fears about the upcoming 30 days:
- that i will feel hungry and loopy and uncomfortable, especially at first 
- that i won't have the energy to do my usual activities
- that i might feel really great (i know that may sound weird but having a long history of feeling bad physically and emotionally about my eating..i'm kind of attached to that and so healing my gut and getting well is a new and scary thing itself.)

i look forward to learning more about you all and thank you in advance for sharing openly your journeys as we are tuning into ourselves and establishing new relationships to food!

14 hours ago, Mariannne said:

hi @egmartin171 I feel your pain. I've been having to navigate around my workouts too!

I'm curious what you're eating between 5:30am and 6:15am?

What kind of workout are you doing? What time are you consuming your meal after the workout?

@Mariannne I've been doing cofffe w coconut milk + hard boiled egg before workouts. I'm training for a half iron man tri (not til summer) so workouts are 45mins-1hr of swimming , cycling or running. I've beeen eating meal 1 about an hour post workout. Today going to try some sweet potato + another hard boiled egg right afterwards and then still have meal 1 about an hour afterwards... we will see how it goes!

On 3/29/2017 at 8:33 AM, ncoughlin said:

Day 3... kill all the things is early.... set off by a new shirt i bought not fitting when i tried it on this morning... thats all im saying for today because i dont have anything nice to say

You'll be fine.  Hang in there.   It'll pass.

@jmcbn thank you for your response! I felt like I was adding enough fat but I'll try tweaking. I definitely didn't know about starchy veggie recommendations - I bought ISWF but didn't see anything in there about exactly which veggies count as starchy or how to portion them. I guess I should search on this forum! Or is there a chart somewhere?

10 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Ladies, yes, if you are ravenous between meals then increase the volume next time around - we don't want you to be hungry, nad meal size often takes some tweakingin the early days, as does composition. Are you including enough fat? This is what will provide satiety & energy.

With regard to recipes please do not type out any copyrighted material from the books, but if the recipes yo are recommending are available free online by all means link to them.

Anyone feeling a little anxious or emotional - are you including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg each day?

day 4.... dont want to kill all the things. Yay! it died down by mid afternoon yesterday. Was definitely sick of my same breakfast this morning... next week ill have to prep 2 different breakfast options so i can alternate. added a banana and almond butter to my morning egg casserole to try and make it to lunch w/o a snack. lunch is tuna salad over spring mix with some cucumber slices. also have an apple to accompany lunch if needed. Dinner tonight will be turkey tenderloin, roasted cauliflower and idk what else yet.

i definitely feel less bloated than i did before i started so yay!!!  im really missing my delicious coffee though. have not found the right combination yet to make my coffee enjoyable not bearable

Hullo hullo Happy Day 4! Or maybe not. But let it be whatever it is......

I'm having just a tiny bit of gut issue today - growly, gurgle and a little bit of - well lets just say I'm going a lot. Sorry to bring up the poop subject but that's what's happening. It's good really - feels like I'm cleaning out. Also forgot to take my probiotic yesterday so back on that today.

@sooladybug I might just have to go out and buy the W30 cookbook. Been himming and hawing about that for a while - you can find so much online - but maybe it's time to get the book as well for those really scrumptious fab recipes. I like to cook so it's always good to have healthy recipe books on hand. 

@harpchick I think @jmcbn also said increasing fat might be an option. I'm finding when I have a little fat (like bacon or mac nuts) with each meal, I'm really satiated. And I really like the starch too - love my squash. 

@em.eek:) you sound aware already and that's more than half the battle. Good for you for joining and taking this first step! This forum really helps me with self-care. If you do have a day or two or three where you just feel like @#%, if you can take some time for yourself, let yourself nap, drink lots and lots of H20 and let yourself be uncomfortable, it'll go way easier. 

AND  @ncoughlin I'm missing my coffee too. I actually did buy an iced decaf Americano yesterday while working at a cafe. Didn't even drink the whole thing! 

Yesterday I ate meal 3 a little late because of a rockin' 6 p.m. yoga class. I had so much more energy than Tuesday. Kept the meal small because it was coming up on 8 p.m. and I'm supposed to stop eating at 7 p.m. - I considered it to be a post w/o snack but it was actually my meal 3 -  small bowl of beef stew and some raw fennel and raw radiccheo - LOVE. I could eat those two veggies for every meal. 

This morning I had mac nuts with my oatless creamed zucchini and eggs (topped with blueberries, 1/4 banana, a tiny handful of mixed nuts and cinnamon). Won't have lunch until after 2 p.m. today but feel completely satisfied. It's nice to not feel hungry all the time. We'll see if that lasts ;) 

I made oatless oatmeal today (also called creamy zucchini and eggs) and it was good, especially for a break from same breakfast eggs dishes ...but is it SWYPO? and is that ok? This was posted earlier:

zucchini-eggs, also called oatless oatmeal, which is a little SWYPO,

So what are the rules about SWYPO? I'm not trying to mimic oatmeal, which is non- compliant,  this is just a breakfast choice with ingredients that are allowed: egg whites, almond milk, 1/2 zucchini, 1/2 banana, flaxseed and cinnamon.

Good evening All!,

How's day 4 going? I got a fresh breakout this morning :) hahaha It's aways great to re-live my 13 yo self again ;) I'm almost getting used to this. Everything else is going well. I'm still a little tired day-to-day. I hope that'll change soon! I did have a moment this evening where I really wanted a donut! Just a moment of anxiety: thinking thoughts that make no sense whatsoever. I decided to simply 'let it go' and enJOY the moment I'm in right now. I looked around myself and realized how great things really are! That shift to gratitude has taken me some time to practice but I'm getting better each day!

I couldn't get away for lunch today so there was a good 10 hour gap between meals today. Hmmm... that could explain why I was more interested in a donut today.

I'm drinking a lot of water in hopes that it'll help with the detox. I know come the weekend, I'll be napping like a baby! I seriously can't wait!!!  More self-care in the days to come! I'm looking forward to getting through the initial stages of W30.

@harpchick: I believe the template is recommended and not bible truth on here.  You've not broken any rules by having a snack so long as the snack is compliant :)

Welcome @em.eek ! So happy to share and support with you here.

@egmartin171: I'm glad you're tweaking that. It sounds 'smart'. How did it go today?

@bronnyd: sorry to hear about the gut. I hope you feel better. I'm still tweaking my evening post-wo/M3. I did have egg white and a bowl of roasted cauliflower and jalaepeno soup at around 8:30pm last night. I was hungry again at 10:30pm lol  I'm still tweaking for certain! ;)

@Mevans I believe that 'oatless oats' is mis-named. It's nothing like oatmeal. I am eating that for breakfast as well and I do enjoy it. I might try something different for next week. I'm going to do some research between naps this weekend! ;)

I hope everyone else is crushing it today! Have a great sleep everyone!!!

xo-M

Today was a good day,  didn't feel too tired or hungry and no headache either.   I'm starting to wonder when the other shoe is going to drop though!  My boyfriend is really tired today and my bff seems cranky.   I got a frantic text after work tonight asking me to talk her out of the walmart easter aisle. .. so much chocolate!    

Tonight we had Morracan chicken with roasted carrots and potatoes. ... those carrots tasted amazing!  We made the spice mixture last night and it was great.  That's something that I'm learning. .. success takes planning.   There is no way you can expect to succeed unless you plan to.  I'm so glad we made a meal plan before we started.   It's taped to the cupboard so we can easily reference it and the cookbook stays right there too.  We have 2 people in the house not doing W30 and I know they were very skeptical of what we were going to be eating.   So far they've loved everything!

I'm headed to the gym at 6am tomorrow,  I'm really hoping that will help keep my mood and energy up!  Plus the fact that I only work 4 hours tomorrow :)  night. . Hope everyone had a great day 4!

@bronnyd You definitely should get the cookbook. ...lots of great ideas in it!

@Mevans k I need to know. .what is SWYPO??? it's killing me lol

@Mariannne hopefully you don't have too many missed lunches... that's killer! !  I love your technique for getting past it... gratitude is always better than a donut! 

@harpchick it was awesome!   BTW I'm from Edmonton too! I've lived out east for 10 years though. 

I guess I'm "easing into it" this time around having cut out all sugar over the past 4 days, but officially starting my 3rd W30 April 1!  I did a life-changing Whole 90 2 years ago, (did awesome for about 16 months;) I did another Whole 30 this past January after over-indulging through the holidays, then went off some crazy sugar deep-end since then, so I need to reign it in before it gets crazy-er.  @mermaidstar8101 said they gained 20# in the past few months.  I'm right behind you.  I've gained at least 10 since Christmas, but 15# since October.  No Bueno!  I know that journaling and giving thanks before each meal really helped me the first time around so will definitely be doing that again.  Wishing everyone the absolute best!

1 hour ago, sooladybug said:

Today was a good day,  didn't feel too tired or hungry and no headache either.   I'm starting to wonder when the other shoe is going to drop though!  My boyfriend is really tired today and my bff seems cranky.   I got a frantic text after work tonight asking me to talk her out of the walmart easter aisle. .. so much chocolate!    

Tonight we had Morracan chicken with roasted carrots and potatoes. ... those carrots tasted amazing!  We made the spice mixture last night and it was great.  That's something that I'm learning. .. success takes planning.   There is no way you can expect to succeed unless you plan to.  I'm so glad we made a meal plan before we started.   It's taped to the cupboard so we can easily reference it and the cookbook stays right there too.  We have 2 people in the house not doing W30 and I know they were very skeptical of what we were going to be eating.   So far they've loved everything!

I'm headed to the gym at 6am tomorrow,  I'm really hoping that will help keep my mood and energy up!  Plus the fact that I only work 4 hours tomorrow :)  night. . Hope everyone had a great day 4!

@bronnyd You definitely should get the cookbook. ...lots of great ideas in it!

@Mevans k I need to know. .what is SWYPO??? it's killing me lol

@Mariannne hopefully you don't have too many missed lunches... that's killer! !  I love your technique for getting past it... gratitude is always better than a donut! 

@harpchick it was awesome!   BTW I'm from Edmonton too! I've lived out east for 10 years though. 

SWYPO = Sex with your pants on.

Day 4 was hood over all. Really need to nail bedtime. Was up too late, but the boyfriend took the day off and I rarely see him so I over indulge in him. We work opposite shifts. Me mornings him evenings because he owns a restaurant.  So I end up staying up to see him and then we chat.

Have eaten dinner so late the last 4 days. Must try to eat a bit earlier. But it's not too bad, I can eat and then go to sleep no problemo.

And I must make some sauces and dressings. Just realized that that is what I am missing. Didn't want my lunch today even though it was a very good lunch. Could used some ranch. 

Will squeeze it in somehow. Very busy weekend. Going to a murder mystery party. Must remember to eat before going.

I felt incredible today for energy, hunger and mood! But I woke up with the most GINORMOUS zit on my chin. Bigger than a zit - like a a growth!  - my husband said it was distorting my face. Good grief!! And I've actually been on an amazing arbonne regiment for 3 weeks and seeing improvements until now. My stomach was a bit off too but nothing major.

Anyhoo - I added a small handful of cashews to my waldorf chicken salad lunch and had roasted turnips & potatoes with pulled pork made in my instant pot & homemade compliant bbq sauce. The added fat at lunch and starchy veg at dinner were the keys to making me feel much more satisfied.

I am going out for dinner tomorrow night - EEK! It's been planned for ages so I can't avoid it. I've emailed ahead so that I don't have to make a giant speech in front of the rest of the table. Luckily it's a fine dining kind of place so hopefully they'll be knowledgeable about their ingredients.

@Mevans - I was wondering if the "oatless oats" problem was that it relied too heavily on flax seeds? In the whole30 It Starts With Food book - there was a section on how seeds should be used sparingly - does anybody else know?

@sooladybug - I can't believe there are 3 Edmontonians on this thread. What are the chances?

@Miranda E - This ranch dressing is sooo tasty- it's from one of Against All Grain's cookbooks but it's published in this facebook post - I left out the chives and the fresh herbs and it still tasted amazing. The post also has the recipe I used for homemade mayo - though I used avocado oil.

Archived