March 27 start, Time to SHINE!!

cortadoplease

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bronnyd said:

Thank you, @SugarcubeOD !! I was thinking of doing another W30 after Europe - just hop right back on the band wagon on May 15. Then I could do a 'proper' reintro in mid June and enjoy the summer. :) Also, it's going to be veryyyy difficult to not overindulge at times with all the different European cuisines and treats - but I do have resolve to be mindful. Beeeee mindfuuuul. So Thanks again - methinks I'll just commit to doing a reset when I get back. That said, do you think it needs to be another W30? Am thinking of doing something like a W10 or W15........

I think it depends on how far off the rails you went and how you feel when you get back.  I think if after 15 days you feel as amazing as you do today, then that's great... but don't cheat yourself... if you're not feeling superb, keep going to 20 or even 30... you owe it to the re-intros to be in great form before reintroducing again :)

I think also you may want to quickly review Melissa's talks about her one bite rule... if you can somehow work that into your eating plans in Europe, then it might prevent a full fledged face plant into the pastries and you can still have a great experience with trying different things... Even if you buy the pastry, eat one bite, realize it's not worth eating another bite, you have only 'wasted' a couple bucks and maybe your travelling partners will also want a bite each... but don't just eat the thing because you paid for it... or you may pay for it... ;)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So get this. I have thought for a while (about a year) that I don't tolerate eggs well. I think it is the whites. Last week I ate a frittata then eggs for breakfast for a few days before and I had a bad IBS-D reaction (tryng not to be too graphic). Then I stopped the eggs got better then tried again same thing. So the jury is in no more eggs for me. Now what I need to figure out is if the yolk is ok. I love my homemade mayo. I would hate to have to give that up too.  @SallyAnnGI am also thinking about the AIP. 

Although I have not been non compliant with food choices I did eat after dinner last night leftovers and some ham. Not really sure I was hungry more tired and bored waiting for my daughter to come home. It is an old habit I would like to break. On a good note I am no longer ravenous at 400. I can go till dinner without getting hungry which is huge. 

The other thing I am committing to is the scale. I have not gotten on the scale since 4/15 I don't need to loose weight but I am a slave to the scale. I want to break that habit too. 

I feel so much better. I am laughing at myself because I have done "Paleo" since 2014 but never gave up sugar. Alway gluten but not sugar or dairy. This is the longest I have ever been compliant and I really see the benefit. I am going to do another 30 because I need it so if anyone is with me lets go!!!!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Strictlyspeaking said:

So get this. I have thought for a while (about a year) that I don't tolerate eggs well. I think it is the whites. Last week I ate a frittata then eggs for breakfast for a few days before and I had a bad IBS-D reaction (tryng not to be too graphic). Then I stopped the eggs got better then tried again same thing. So the jury is in no more eggs for me. Now what I need to figure out is if the yolk is ok. I love my homemade mayo. I would hate to have to give that up too.  @SallyAnnGI am also thinking about the AIP. 

Although I have not been non compliant with food choices I did eat after dinner last night leftovers and some ham. Not really sure I was hungry more tired and bored waiting for my daughter to come home. It is an old habit I would like to break. On a good note I am no longer ravenous at 400. I can go till dinner without getting hungry which is huge. 

The other thing I am committing to is the scale. I have not gotten on the scale since 4/15 I don't need to loose weight but I am a slave to the scale. I want to break that habit too. 

I feel so much better. I am laughing at myself because I have done "Paleo" since 2014 but never gave up sugar. Alway gluten but not sugar or dairy. This is the longest I have ever been compliant and I really see the benefit. I am going to do another 30 because I need it so if anyone is with me lets go!!!!

EEP, check that ham... it's almost impossible to find compliant ham... almost all has been cured with sugar... 

Howdy all! Just a week to go - can you believe it?

So I haven't felt  great for the last 36 hours or so - gut pain, heartburn,  Ulcerative Proctitis acting up enough that I had to start using medication again.  I'm trying to figure out the cause - too many raw veggies? red meat? too much sparkling water?  So frustrating.  So I might be with you ladies @Strictlyspeaking and @SallyAnnG - do the AIP and eliminate even more!! I wouldn't really want to re-introduce foods next week if my guts still haven't settled down - though it would be nice not to worry about minute traces of soy or sugar or corn in food.  Oh and having a glass of wine would be nice too. :)

Those of us with GI issues - maybe it gets worse before it gets better?  I'm certainly happy with the way my pants are fitting and my new relationship with meals/snacking but seriously the gut pains are worse than when I started the whole30!

@bronnyd - lucky duck! have fun in Europe!! Where you headed in Ireland? I found the bread products didn't irritate as much as at home in Canada.

@SugarcubeODThe ham is Creminelli prosciutto cotto from whole foods has no sweeteners in the process. It is cooked and soooooo good!!!!!

@harpchick I am having a terrible time with digestion but I also have eaten a few FODMAPS that I had been avoiding--don't really know why I did that other than experimentation. Last week I ate peaches and watermelon and yesterday I had cauliflower. All NO BUENO! 

@bronnydI have also heard that in Europe the grains are not as hybridized and therefore less problematic. Have fun and enjoy everything!

Morning! Can't believe it's almost over.

@Strictlyspeaking I find with eggs, I have to have them hard cooked. If they are even a little under done my gut hates me for the rest of the day. But I don't have any problems with the mayo. <_< It's strange.

The last few days I have been feeling frustrated and angry and I have no idea why. It's like 'kill all the things' has come back. It's horrible. I think it has a lot to do with no longer eating my feelings. Now I have to deal with them, and I haven't figured out how to yet, which is frustrating :angry: Definitely think reincorporating excretes will help. I haven't yet because if I do everything at once I fell overwhelmed and will quit. Baby steps. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Hey all! I am in Dublin! Woo hoo! I have been wandering around all day to stay awake. It's working-and right now I'm back in my room resting my feet and then I'll be going back out for dinner soon.

I have to say I broke my whole 30 - but I'm right back on track to stay mindful for the rest of the week. And my break was small but it was a break and I just realized I just can't do this for another week here in Europe. That said I did have half a bagel and a couple bites of yogurt and some cheese.  It was a free breakfast offered on the plane after a long flight of no sleep.  But I will say that once we arrived and I found my hostel and got settled in, I went for a long walk and found a really cool breakfast café and had a fully compliant full breakfast. It was three eggs omelette with bacon and avocado and a side salad no toast and some fruit and green tea. I haven't had any  food since late this morning . Just been walking off that omelette. :)

So even though I'm not doing the full whole 30 I did a whole 24 instead. And if it's OK I'd still like to report back here for the rest of the week if I can find Wi-Fi. I'll be in Donegal on a little retreat with some friends and we won't have Internet access for a few days. But I think this whole 30 goes into next week and I'm sure I'll be able to get some access before it's over. I want to get right back on the bandwagon and stay as compliant as possible  because my tummy is very happy with me right now.  

And when I get back from vacation I'm going to do another whole 30 around  mid May. Not sure what day to start on yet because I might be extending my vacation for four days. I'll know more after tomorrow about that. Marianne will be hopefully doing it with me. :)  Anyone else wants to join in again let's do it! 

@harpchick i'm sorry to hear your gut is bugging you. It could very well be the raw food. I know my gut at first  didn't  like salads for a long time and it sucked. Now it seems to be fine with salads. I had SIBO before and that affected my digestion pretty badly. Like @Strictlyspeaking I follow the low FODMAP diet  pretty much. And I am careful with the raw food but I can eat more of it now and also the sparkling water. Have to watch that. Are you drinking enough water water? That's a biggie. And also probiotics really help. And lemon water too. :) @Miranda E that is so wise about feeling the feelings as they come up without having to understand them. Yes this is a time  to see how we avoid our feelings with food. And other substances as well. Sometimes when our livers are detoxing it can cause frustration and anger to crop up as well. It can be very physical as well as mental emotional and it's all  connected anyway right?

OK I'm gonna go out and walk around a little more before coming back and hopefully getting a good nights sleep. Going to have a compliant mostly dinner. ;) no alcohol for sure.   I intend to be compliant most of the time :). xob 

• Moderators

Hey @bronnyd you can definitely report back here on all the compliant meals and things you've found to eat, but in the interest of newbies and not torturing your friends here, please don't post about your non compliant items... I'm sure they're delicious and if you want to share, make a post in Post Whole30 log and put the link here so that your friends can follow along but we can't host non compliant food discussion on these main forums.

Glad you're having fun!

Hey guys, hope everyone is hanging in there!  Day 25!  I've been feeling really bloated and uncomfortable today, not sure why though!  This morning I had an unfortunate encounter with a baby gate and hurt my baby toe!  I thought I might have broke it because it hurt so much to walk on it but I think it's ok, just really painful!  I'm supposed to go to the gym in the morning, hoping it's good enough by then.  

So I have to admit I'm fighting a little bit of the green eyed monster.  I'm not proud but I feel like you guys might understand. So, you know my boyfriend is doing W30 with me which is amazing.  He cheated and stepped on the scale week 2... he'd already lost 10 lbs.  Everywhere we go people comment on how he looks like he's lost weight.  Not one person has commented to me like that, I'm bloated and icky feeling right now and I'm seriously freaking out thinking what if I actually gain weight!!  I haven't eaten anything not compliant so I know this is irrational but I can't help it!   I know men lose faster and easier then women but man!!  I am proud that he's done so well, I really am.  Just wish my results showed a little more I guess lol

@Miranda E  I found early on that if I ate too much fruit my cravings became stronger. 

@sooladybug hang in there. I too feel a little thick today.  ITs  whole 30 right? Maybe this next week will change things or maybe you need to do another 30 with me? Just kidding. Can you think about any other NSV you have made? 

Hope you have a good weekend. Ill be at a conference so not online much. Almost done!

@sooladybug -  I'm sure that is so hard that BF is getting comments ... hang in there!! I'm sure you have made great progress. At least he's doing it with you ... my husband is counting down the days for me to be done.  He has hated this - he has missed his partner for restaurants, wine tasting, BBQs, drinks by the pool and more - ha!

@SugarcubeOD - can we stay together here as a group for our reintro - posting what/how we are doing including posts about non-compliant food?  

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Mevans said:

@sooladybug -  I'm sure that is so hard that BF is getting comments ... hang in there!! I'm sure you have made great progress. At least he's doing it with you ... my husband is counting down the days for me to be done.  He has hated this - he has missed his partner for restaurants, wine tasting, BBQs, drinks by the pool and more - ha!

@SugarcubeOD - can we stay together here as a group for our reintro - posting what/how we are doing including posts about non-compliant food?  

No ma'am we ask that you don't... it's too confusing for new people coming along.  We do however suggest that one of you make a thread in the Post Whole30 Log section and then post the link here... then you can all join eachother over there to keep the party going !

13 hours ago, bronnyd said:

Hey all! I am in Dublin!

I'll be in Donegal on a little retreat

Ooooh - what are your plans for your time in Ireland?

Which part of Donegal is your retreat in? I was in Donegal earlier this week and go there often....!!

Will you travel North too?

Ireland is probably one of the easiest places to eat compliant because we have so much variety in fresh meat, fish & veg being a small farming island - plus all the allergens are clearly labelled on menus. But the wheaten bread IS good, and our butter/dairy, well..... :wub:

Be sure to try some mussels & oysters!!

Hi @jmcbn in what part of Ireland do you live? If you already said I missed it sorry. I'm in Donegal city  and the bus did drive through north Ireland. Is that where you live? Will be here for about eight days and then I'm going back to Dublin for a couple days before going on to Scotland and U.K. 

Today I plan on being fully compliant. So far so good. :)  Definitely will try some mussels and oysters and fish! Woo hoo!

3 hours ago, bronnyd said:

Donegal city

Town ;)

There are only five cities in the South - Dublin, Galway, Limerick, Cork & Waterford. Donegal is a town, within the County of Donegal. If you drove through the North you must have flown into the International Airport at Aldergrove or George Best Belfast City Airport.

Technically I'm in the North, but actually I'm a little further South than you currently are the way the border works, and just over to the East. I was over in the West for a few days for Easter & travelled round the Inishowen Peninsula which is in Donegal County. It's one of my favourite parts of the Ireland, although it's hard to find a bad spot!

so I did really great over the weekend. It was a lot of eating out but I managed well. No alcohol. Brought coconut milk for coffee. This am all there was was fruit but just had grilled salmon and asparagus at a great restaurant. On way home now. Looking forward to home cooked meal s. Slept better in a hotel than I ever have and my digestion is good!!! I even had some pistachios and was fine!  I felt so bad for all the people eating such unhealthy foods. I so want people to be more healthy! Even my friend who was with me all weekend. I see her in such distress after she eats and yet she continues to make choices that will hurt her. 

So I read in rob Wolfes book wired to eat that we don't need a better relationship with food that we can't cheat on our diet. We can only make healthy and less healthy choices which is what it starts with food says. This has been very helpful for me to say no to cheese and French fries! 

Who s continuing? I wonder if there is a whole 60 forum? 

@Strictlyspeaking Good to hear that you are feeling so healthy!  And changing your relationship with food is huge!  This has had a big impact on me as well.  I've really enjoyed the meals we've had - definitely can't complain about the food!  

The biggest changes for me are some loss of belly fat and I'm sleeping better, but I've also been meditating for stress reduction and to help with sleep.  I seem to have more energy in the afternoons.  The PMR is as troublesome as ever though - has been keeping me from exercising and getting into even better shape, but too much exercise Is pretty painful.  Limited to walking now that the ski season is waning.  May try running and see how that goes.

I plan to keep a lot of aspects of the Whole30 moving ahead but will be reintroducing some things.  Fortunately there isn't too much that I miss.  Still reading up on the paleo-approach (aip) but have some travel later this week where I won't have much control over food.  After that will really try restricting the nightsahdes, etc...

Almost there...looking forward to that congratulatory glass of wine :rolleyes:!

Hi everyone! Day 29 ... I really can't believe how quickly this seemed to go and if you look back on the first posts ...we've come a long way.

How is everyone feeling? What is everyone going to re-introduce?

Day 31 is my birthday (yay!) but I will still do the re-intro plan so Wed I will stick with the food plan but will have some wine. Then this weekend we are going to the big weekend festival concert here in CA - Stagecoach. This will be challenging for re-intro but I will plan ahead and do what I can and do my best while still having fun!!!

Guys, day 29! Aren't we the greatest?

So, I've been feeling crampy, nauseous and very bloated for the past few days. I think l might be getting my period, but since I have PCOS and I generally only get it a few times a year, I can never be sure. It usually comes back whenever I eat paleo/primal for at least a month.

I am considering not weighing myself on day 31 because I feel I might get discouraged by the bloating. Also, Tiger blood has been gone for the past few days and I could only do a NSV assessment based on my memory of how I felt before this probable PMS thing hit me. Right now l feel like sh*t, tbh, and ready to fall face first into a pile of sweets, instead of the feeling of indifference I have experienced days 10-25 of my whole30. 

I am also considering continuing on with no pause to a whole45.

Any thoughts?

@Nana ValenteI read in here that the first period can be rough. Maybe by Tuesday you will feel better and can make a decision then. My thought on reintroducing Foods is that they should be healthy. That way you can shaped a diet that works optimally for you. Robb Wolf talks about this in wired to eat. It's not that the 30 is done and we eat whatever. And if that was my thought I would rethink whether I had a healthy mindset about food. Which is the whole point of this right. I want to be the most heathy I can be and that has a lot of parameters! 

I am trying to think about what I would want to reintroduce. White rice seems to help with my digestion but it also raises my blood sugar. Alcohol is no bueno for me as is cheese and gluten. Those are nonstarters. So I think this strict paleo three meals a day eat when hungry stop when full approach is it for me right now. 

Stay the course!!! 

@Strictlyspeaking, thanks for the answer. 

You are 100% right. I think I just temporarily reversed to my old way of thinking about food as a way of not dealing with feelings (both emotions and physical) and nothing to do with nourishing my body.

I'll just stick to healthy comforting meals for today and tomorrow and hope whenever my period arrives I get back to my new normal. In any case, if I decide to do a whole45 or even a Whole60, let's keep going together :)))

Wow!! I can't believe we are on our last 24 hours of this challenge!!!

Congrats to everyone for staying strong this whole month. I may do another w30 challenge in a month or so. Idk what I'll do for the reintro as there are plenty of items I'm happy to leave out of my diet (dairy, alcohol) but some stuff I miss (oats, variety at breakfast time, hummus, socializing, and dating) lol I've been cutting back on my social time (I always do on a W30) b/c I just don't trust food unless I made it myself :P

I also want to make some other changes. I'm doing a self-care re-jig right now. I want to take better care of myself physically and emotionally. I'm even writing this by candlelight and thus, less artificial lighting and screentime :) Not changes I am excited to make ... but i know they're good for me in the long run.

Happy Day 30-eve all!  :) Thank you for sharing your experiences and this journey with me!

Wow can't believe this is almost over!  I am certainly going to be keeping aspects of this way of eating after tomorrow, although like @marianned there are things I miss!  I plan to reintroduce dairy to start but we are going away this weekend to Mackinaw Island so we'll be limited on what we can get.  This weekend we went for a bit of a drive about an hour out of the city to a place we camp and scuba dive from (I don't scuba dive, boyfriend does).  We had picked up some snacks before we went and had a little picnic of nuts, dates, chopped up fruit & veggies, and pickles... even the teenager didn't complain!  When we got back we stopped at the grocery store to pick up some stuff and found Kombucha  & Larabars.  We figured we'd give them a try ... Kombucha not so much, Larabars we went back for more!  I really wish we'd known about those before day 28 lol.  We've already agreed that we will continue to eat mostly Whole 30 and I think I'm going to do another round after we get back from a trip over Canada Day weekend.  It's been great getting to know everyone!  I go to my gym to get weighed and have my measurements taken tomorrow... I'll let everyone know how it goes!!

Happy day 29 eve everyone!! I can't believe we only have one day left - congrats to us :) Luckily my tummy settled down - thanks @bronnyd for the tips. I think it was too many raw veggies or the kombucha. I've not had those in a few days and have felt back to normal!

i think I'll be doing slow re-intros. Not too interested in adding in dairy/grains so I'll start with soy and corn so that I don't have to watch food labels so carefully! Oh and alcohol will be reintroduced on the weekend - headed to Jasper -woo! Did y'all see the slow reintro article? It was pretty useful. 

I am going to start making some SWYPO stuff like Paleo wraps and pancakes too- apparently you just have to watch your psychological response there. 

@marianned good to hear your update and self care! I was wondering where you'd gone to :)

@sooladybug your picnic sounded awesome! Believe in or not I bought a ton of Lars bars a month ago and never cracked one. I have eaten them before this I guess I was worried they would make me want granola bars! I'm going to check my measurements at the gym tomorrow too - I'll look forward to hearing yours! (Maybe you'll even beat your boyfriend!) 

@Mevans - have fun at stagecoach!! I've actually attended as a musician! We were spoiled rotten. It was 10 years ago but I still remember the amazing catering. 

@Nana Valente i know my pms felt pretty bad until I put a few more carbs in my meals. Have you tried that? I hope you feel better soon! 

So Day 31 folks.... we made it!!!  So proud of everyone!  I ended up losing 7 lbs & 1 inch from everywhere except my arms I lost 2 inches. My friends that did this with me lost 10 lbs,  15 lbs & 18 lbs... I feel like my body is a jerk but I'm also the only one that was working out 3 days a week through is so I'm hoping there was muscle in there too lol.  I hope everyone has a fantastic day.  I'm not planning  to reintroduce stuff too fast... I'm a bit nervous.. anyone else?

Archived