And although I should not be eating at my desk, I do.  I've been using beans, lentils, and split peas for my protein sources.  The trouble is these things can smell not so nice (vegetables don't always smell nice either).  Does anyone have any tips to reduce the smell?  

I can eat lunch away from my desk but breakfast is always at my desk.  How can I avoid offending my coworkers with the smell?

@RabbitFood Honestly, I'm a terrible office mate. I bring in cabbage stew, roasted cauliflower, etc. Lots of food that has a strong scent. My coworkers have never said anything about it (I work in a job where I eat both breakfast and lunch at my desk most days; just a reality of the position I'm in). If you are really concerned about it, try considering how you spice them. Garlic, ginger, and curry or other fragrant spices will change how they smell. 

I eat breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner at my job (12.5+ hour shifts where I leave my house about 6:30am) and don't hesitate to bring a plethora of terrible-smelling foods. Cabbage, eggs, fish, stews, all kinds of vegetables and proteins. I don't care if people don't like the smell - I have to eat, and I enjoy eating a wide variety of foods. My coworkers sometimes scrunch up their noses, but they're sitting there eating fried breaded chicken strips, bags of potato chips and cookies, candy, soda, and all manner of takeout. Their foods smell strongly, too. Mostly of sauces and cheese though, where mine might be veggies.

In any case, to me, it doesn't matter. The smells don't last long anyhow.