Having a tough time staying on it!!!

What's your motivation for doing Whole30 in the first place? I think that's truly the first question to answer for yourself. What's causing you to "mess up" after only two days?

If you really want to be successful, my suggestions would be, first, to get rid of all non-compliant food (or at least hide it out of sight), and second, do a lot of advanced meal prep. If you've cooked meals for the entire week, you're setting yourself up for success. Letting friends and family know what you're doing, and what you're trying to avoid can be helpful in terms of support.

It looks like you've been hanging around these parts for a few years, but if you're truly interested in doing a Whole30, you might start as if you'd never heard of it and wanted to read up on it before committing.

In other words, what information about Whole30 would be most helpful to you right now, in 2017, so that you can make a decision about doing a Whole30 or not doing one? Your reasons for wanting to do a Whole30 back in 2014 were probably different than your reasons now. It's worth considering what you want to gain now.

It's also key to think of specific things you want to achieve through a Whole30. As the program has gotten more popular over the last years, people have tried to use it as if it were a standard American weight loss diet - and it just doesn't work that way. I can give you a couple of personal examples to demonstrate non-weight-loss reasons for doing Whole30: I did Whole30 the first time because a friend told me it helped her with brain fog, and I wanted some help with brain fog too. I'm currently doing a Whole30 to address some random joint pain.

There's no magic bullet eating plan that will heal underlying chronic conditions (I still have my Hashimoto's and high blood pressure, for instance), and trying to use Whole30 to drop weight rapidly is misguided, and for women especially, often completely wrong. 

I also completely agree with purplepadres on all of their suggestions. Brilliant.

You don't have to do a Whole30. You really don't. If you think you might like to, that's great - figure out why, and why now, and prepare to eat up. There's no going hungry on a Whole30.

I did and completed a whole 30 last year was super proud..the reason I want to do a whole 30 is because I want to feel good. I remeber how I felt doing it and I felt awesome...I wasn't tired all thr time I had energy ...I wasn't moody ..I slept better . I'm not worried about losing weight ..I just wqnt to feel good and I know I will on whole 30 . Thank you for responding :)

That makes sense. A second Whole30 is often a very different experience than a first Whole30. You know what you're getting into, which is good. But knowing what you're getting into makes it challenging in a way. You don't have the element of surprise or newness anymore. The idea of 30 days is to help this way of eating (or thinking about eating) become a routine. So when you start a subsequent Whole30, it doesn't feel new anymore, and in part it may feel like another routine to take on.

Because of this, thinking carefully about your goals will help you find freshness in the experience. Your goals of wanting to feel good, energetic, and sleep well, are pretty clear - you might even get a bit more detailed with those goals. What does feeling good and energetic feel like, for instance?

Another thing to consider is how you transitioned out of your first Whole30, and if you want to do that the same way again. Some folks find the reintroduction period even more important than the Whole30 itself, for instance. If that's you, especially if you decided not to do the reintroduction protocol last time, then it can be one of your goals too.

So it's totally normal to have a little difficulty approaching a second Whole30. Finding your own reasons and understanding that it won't be a totally new experience (no "new relationship energy" ;)) might help you set a 30 day period and stick with it.

Archived