What can I do different if this happens again?

Today would have been day 22 except I woke up at 130am with major nausea. While I'm ok now, today has been filled with saltines, chicken noodle soup, and powerade. I'm guessing I have to start over, even though I didn't make a choice per say to get sick. On the off chance of it happening again, what are some things I can eat/drink that are compliant?

• Moderators

Peppermint tea can also be helpful when you're nauseated. I even find the smell of peppermint helpful, so smelling peppermint essential oil or just smelling your peppermint tea. If you don't have the ginger turmeric tea mentioned above, you can slice fresh ginger (it freezes well, so you can keep some on hand, already sliced, if you want) and add it to boiling water to make a ginger tea.

As for starting over, your body doesn't differentiate between eating something because you're sick, eating something accidentally, or eating something intentionally -- if you want to do reintroductions, you need 30 days with no off-plan ingredents, and you definitely had wheat in your saltines and the chicken noodle soup, sugar in the powerade, and possibly soy or msg in the soup as well. However, you're an adult and get to decide for yourself how to proceed -- here's an article about how to decide whether or not to restart. 

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to stock up on what I can find. My local Whole Foods doesn't carry the compliant broths, just the organic ones that have sugar in them. I'm going to restart in April. I had another round of nausea on Friday so I'm going to give my body time to heal before stepping back in, plus I do better when I start by the calendar. My cravings definitely changed after the first round and my mindset was broken so I knew I couldn't just continue. It's frustrating but  I know I can do it. 

• Moderators

Can you make your own bone broth in a crockpot before Apri?  Hopefully you're not sick again, but it's handy to have in the freezer for cooking as well as dealing with illness/nausea.  If you're not familliar with making your own, google Whole30 bone broth and you'll get tons of results... there are also recipes all over the paleosphere for bone broth methods and pointers/tips tricks.

Good luck, you can do this!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 7:00 PM, ShadowKat said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to stock up on what I can find. My local Whole Foods doesn't carry the compliant broths, just the organic ones that have sugar in them. I'm going to restart in April. I had another round of nausea on Friday so I'm going to give my body time to heal before stepping back in, plus I do better when I start by the calendar. My cravings definitely changed after the first round and my mindset was broken so I knew I couldn't just continue. It's frustrating but  I know I can do it. 

I appreciate your honesty about stopping the Whole30 and then recommitting after some time. Were you able to start your new Whole30? How has starting up after being sick felt for you?

Archived