March 24 Start - First Timer

Kat49

Hello Ladies! I made it to Day 5.

Thank you Barb for sharing your story. It's a good reminder that even when we think we've got something beat, we can "fall off the wagon" at any time. I lost some weight about 5 years ago using Weight Watchers and some other motivating factors (surgery) and thought I would never gain it back. I've only gained half of it back at this point and WW doesn't do anything for me now. I much more concerned about how triggers for carbs and sugar are affecting me than about my weight - which is why I think this program appeals to me so much.

I never realized until reading W30 last week that replacing high caloric treats with "diet" versions, like WW Chocolate Brownies, only leads to more cravings for salt and sugar that can get out of control. For the past year I had to have a sweet bite after dinner, and good intentions of buying "100 calories sizes" or only eating one piece completely failed.  But since I've started W30 I haven't had the same urge, except for the first day.

I also appreciate your support Marianne. Thanks for the encouragement. 

Good luck to us for completing another day! - Kat

13 hours ago, Mariannne said:

@gothope77Stay strong Doll! I'm cheering for you here. I know the Sugar Dragon well! It was always there for me so I know how tough it is to sever the ties. I'm right here with you :)  This will be SO worth it!

Day 2 without sugar.  WAY better than day 1.  Pressing on!  

On day 7! I have been keeping a journal of how I'm feeling which helps emotionally. Also, I have gotten some GREAT recipes off of pinterest. For breakfast you should look at the avocado egg bake. Today has been a hard day for me. Lots of mood swings but at the same time still feel good mentally- which doesn't really make sense. Can't wait to get to tiger's blood!

How is everyone else doing?

3 hours ago, Sct0006 said:

On day 7! I have been keeping a journal of how I'm feeling which helps emotionally. Also, I have gotten some GREAT recipes off of pinterest. For breakfast you should look at the avocado egg bake. Today has been a hard day for me. Lots of mood swings but at the same time still feel good mentally- which doesn't really make sense. Can't wait to get to tiger's blood!

How is everyone else doing?

Doing great so. Today is first day I wasn't hungry all day. I guess after six days my body is adjusting to three smaller meals per day. I'll check out the avocado egg bake. Am starting to not love my frittatas anymore after three times this week.

Haven't experienced the mood swings yet. Still can't sleep though. This might be a longer term benefit.

Good luck with Day 8!

13 hours ago, Kat49 said:

Doing great so. Today is first day I wasn't hungry all day. I guess after six days my body is adjusting to three smaller meals per day. I'll check out the avocado egg bake. Am starting to not love my frittatas anymore after three times this week.

Haven't experienced the mood swings yet. Still can't sleep though. This might be a longer term benefit.

Good luck with Day 8!

The avocado egg bakes are amazing! Just make sure you get the bigger avocados! :)

Also these recipes have been amazing so far for me! http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/category/whole30/

Have you been waking up in the middle of the night? I have been waking up around 2 am every night...but have been able to go right back to sleep after. Still weird, though! Day 8 is okay so far - too early to say because it's still morning. If I have bad symptoms it's usually in the afternoon.

Thanks for responding and hope you have the best day too!

On 3/28/2017 at 6:41 AM, Mariannne said:

@gothope77Stay strong Doll! I'm cheering for you here. I know the Sugar Dragon well! It was always there for me so I know how tough it is to sever the ties. I'm right here with you :)  This will be SO worth it!

Yesterday I made what I thought was my compliant Maverick bacon only to find out that Maverick now makes another product...applewood "maple."  After finishing my first piece it dawned on me that it tasted different.  It had sugar listed as an ingredient.  I've been buying and eating Maverick bacon (the compliant one,) for 2 years!  I had no idea they made another product so I never looked at the ingredients or packaging.  So...I'm starting over April 1.  I'm still "candy-free" which is the good news.  Anyway.  It's encouraging to see everyone doing well.

14 hours ago, Sct0006 said:

The avocado egg bakes are amazing! Just make sure you get the bigger avocados! :)

Also these recipes have been amazing so far for me! http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/category/whole30/

Have you been waking up in the middle of the night? I have been waking up around 2 am every night...but have been able to go right back to sleep after. Still weird, though! Day 8 is okay so far - too early to say because it's still morning. If I have bad symptoms it's usually in the afternoon.

Thanks for responding and hope you have the best day too!

I wake about around 4:00 am and can't fall back asleep. Am hoping good sleep will be the main benefit from my W30 experience. 

Woke up strong on Day 8 but around 1:00 after lunch starting wondering how I could possibly last the full 30. I was still really hungry. Didn't have any compliant food with me. Somehow made it thru the rest of the day. Stopped at store and found a whole bunch more compliant incredients so will be cooking all weekend. 

Will have to come up with an emergency compliant stash for the office. 

Good luck tomorrow!

2 hours ago, gothope77 said:

Yesterday I made what I thought was my compliant Maverick bacon only to find out that Maverick now makes another product...applewood "maple."  After finishing my first piece it dawned on me that it tasted different.  It had sugar listed as an ingredient.  I've been buying and eating Maverick bacon (the compliant one,) for 2 years!  I had no idea they made another product so I never looked at the ingredients or packaging.  So...I'm starting over April 1.  I'm still "candy-free" which is the good news.  Anyway.  It's encouraging to see everyone doing well.

Hi Barb. There were several comments on another thread that you don't have to start over if you accidentally ingest something if it's a small amount and it was just one day. Ultimately it's whatever you're comfortable doing. 

That's  great about resisting the treats. One day at a time!  

8 hours ago, gothope77 said:

6 hours ago, Kat49 said:

Hi Barb. There were several comments on another thread that you don't have to start over if you accidentally ingest something if it's a small amount and it was just one day. Ultimately it's whatever you're comfortable doing. 

That's  great about resisting the treats. One day at a time!  

Generally we point people in the direction of >this article< and let them decide for themselves how they wish to proceed. I don't recall a Mod ever saying you don't have to start over. We can offer our opinion, provide what info we know on how disruptive to the gut the ingested off plan item is, but from there on in we are all adults here & we leave it up to the individual, generally advising if they decide to continue that they should leave at least 30 days before reintroducing the ingested item regardless of where they are in their Whole30.

Ingredients in packaged goods change from region to region, & from month to month, and food manufacturers bring out new products all the time - a big part of the process is learning to read every label, every time.

Personally I think anyone choosing to start over (no matter how small/accidental their slip up) should be commended as it shows a longer term commitment to their health.

9 hours ago, Kat49 said:

I wake about around 4:00 am and can't fall back asleep. Am hoping good sleep will be the main benefit from my W30 experience. 

Woke up strong on Day 8 but around 1:00 after lunch starting wondering how I could possibly last the full 30. I was still really hungry. Didn't have any compliant food with me. Somehow made it thru the rest of the day. Stopped at store and found a whole bunch more compliant incredients so will be cooking all weekend. 

Will have to come up with an emergency compliant stash for the office. 

Good luck tomorrow!

I work 8-5 at the office and always bring Tupperware full of stuff for the day. I bring my eggs, veggies, and avocado for morning - have my lunch ready in the the fridge here - and have 1 larabar always in my lunchbox if I get hungry. By the time I get home I am pretty hungry for dinner but not overwhelmingly hungry (unless I've had a bad day!) I sort of *always* feel like I'm hungry and start craving something - and I read somewhere that if you think you are hungry wonder to yourself "would I eat REAL food right now?" and if the answer is no then it is just a craving.

This motto has really helped because sometimes it will be an hour after lunch and I'll think I'm still hungry - ask myself that question - and then realize oh no, just craving cupcakes.

Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!! You are doing awesome :)

Today is my first day and I think breakfast will be the biggest challenge for me.  I need ideas that can be eaten quickly without much last minute prep.  My work schedule requires me to get up early and I don't allow much time to eat, so anything quick or somewhat portable would be great.  

First week done and I think I am actually seeing some results!  I used to ache when first getting out of bed and the walk down the stairs every morning could be a challenge.....today was a smooth walk - even after a fairly intense workout last night!  Meal planning is still a struggle, I used to plan meals when my kids were at home, but since we have been empty nesters it has been easy to not plan as much - thus not the best meals at times!  I have made 2 different egg dishes that I eat for breakfast along with some fruit, usually a salad with some protein for lunch, then dinner is where I cook protein and veggies.  I grocery shop at least twice a week for fresh veggies.  I really miss my coffee creamer, and really cannot envision life without it.....so I think that will be the first reintroduced food on day 31!  

Hey Kat! I started on the 24th.  Hope everything is going well for you!  As well as everyone else.  It's amazing how different my day looks when I'm not snacking or eating sugary foods.  I'm realizing how many times i put something i my mouth mindlessly and it is kinda startling.  Anywho- I just now started up at the forum and you seem to be the closest to my start date!  

See you around!

Ambra

@Kat49 I buy Nick's sticks in bulk from Amazon. They are compliant and they're really good.  They get cheaper the more you buy so I go ahead and buy 25 of them for $69.99. I like all the flavors. Many RX bars are also compliant having protein, fat and carbs in them also but they can be considered a no-no know if you use them for snacking. They are for emergency on the go only.  Those are also cheaper on Amazon. They even have Whole30 assortment box. But again, use those with caution. They are really good and could easily become a problem if you're a snacker. Hang in there and keep your resolve! It gets easier.

12 hours ago, CC60 said:

Today is my first day and I think breakfast will be the biggest challenge for me.  I need ideas that can be eaten quickly without much last minute prep.  My work schedule requires me to get up early and I don't allow much time to eat, so anything quick or somewhat portable would be great.  

First week done and I think I am actually seeing some results!  I used to ache when first getting out of bed and the walk down the stairs every morning could be a challenge.....today was a smooth walk - even after a fairly intense workout last night!  Meal planning is still a struggle, I used to plan meals when my kids were at home, but since we have been empty nesters it has been easy to not plan as much - thus not the best meals at times!  I have made 2 different egg dishes that I eat for breakfast along with some fruit, usually a salad with some protein for lunch, then dinner is where I cook protein and veggies.  I grocery shop at least twice a week for fresh veggies.  I really miss my coffee creamer, and really cannot envision life without it.....so I think that will be the first reintroduced food on day 31!  

After my first week I'm seeing some results too! No more leg cramps is probably the best one so far. My cravings are lessening and I'm starting to get used to three meals a day. Can't wait for the end of next week to see what else improves. 

12 hours ago, Mermaidambra said:

Hey Kat! I started on the 24th.  Hope everything is going well for you!  As well as everyone else.  It's amazing how different my day looks when I'm not snacking or eating sugary foods.  I'm realizing how many times i put something i my mouth mindlessly and it is kinda startling.  Anywho- I just now started up at the forum and you seem to be the closest to my start date!  

See you around!

Ambra

Hey Ambra. Nice to hear from you. I had the same problem with mindless eating. Can't believe it's been a week and not one slip up. I think the one strike and you're back to Day 1 is very motivational. 

Have a great weekend!

Kat

Hi Everybody. Made it to Day 10. I think this is the longest I've stayed on a program in a long time.  Haven't seen any dramatic changes yet except my cravings have definitely subsided. If this is the only benefit I'll still be happy. I think I've lost some weight but that will probably slow down too. But after 30 days it will probably be a good result.  

How is everybody doing?

Archived