Legume reintroduction recation

brittney

I just finished my second Whole30 on Tuesday. Last time I did the Whole30 I did not properly follow a reintroduction plan, so this time I'm following the one in the book to a T. The first thing I have reintroduced is legumes. I had peanut butter with my breakfast, hummus with my lunch and black beans with dinner. The next morning I woke up with skin irritation around my mouth, I was itchy and red all day and it has continued to this morning (the second day after I reintroduced the legumes). Since it's not gone today I'm wondering if maybe it could be more because of the external environment (spring allergies). Has anyone else had this reaction? Also I'm wondering if this was caused by all the different types of legumes I ate or if just one is doing it.

THANK YOU!

Impossible to say without knowing the ingredients.  

Many commercially packaged legume products such as peanut butter or hummus contain not only legumes, but other banned ingredients such as soy, soybean oil, or corn oil.   
The 30 days may be up, but the importance of scrutinizing an ingredients list and minding your compliance still holds true for re-intro.  

Hey @brittney - assuming the products you tried were compliant it sounds like it could be a histamine response. Legumes contain pretty high levels of histamine, especially peanuts, chickpeas & soy beans - two of which you certainly . Legumes are also histmaine liberators which means they can encourage the release of histamine within the gut - so kind of a double whammy. A histamine reaction (like many food reactions) is a lot to do with tolerance threshold, so with eating legumes at three meals in the one day you may well have just gone over your own personal tolerance threshold. I'd be inclined to let the symptoms subside & re-try individually.

Do you happen to be celiac or have IBS?

51 minutes ago, Carol said:

ingredients such as soy, soybean oil,

Soy is a legume, and as such would be fine for legume reintro day unless you wanted to trial soy & peanuts separately as some people do.

• 10 months later...

On 3/24/2017 at 6:18 PM, jmcbn said:

Hey @brittney - assuming the products you tried were compliant it sounds like it could be a histamine response. Legumes contain pretty high levels of histamine, especially peanuts, chickpeas & soy beans - two of which you certainly . Legumes are also histmaine liberators which means they can encourage the release of histamine within the gut - so kind of a double whammy. A histamine reaction (like many food reactions) is a lot to do with tolerance threshold, so with eating legumes at three meals in the one day you may well have just gone over your own personal tolerance threshold. I'd be inclined to let the symptoms subside & re-try individually.

Do you happen to be celiac or have IBS?

Soy is a legume, and as such would be fine for legume reintro day unless you wanted to trial soy & peanuts separately as some people do.

Hi, I have celiac and reintroduced soy and chickpeas (through hummus) yesterday and last night I had horrible diarrhea and today I have a rash on my neck. Does this have something to do with my celiac disease? I have never noticed a reaction to legumes before, even the last round of whole 30.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 9:50 PM, colleen1492 said:

Does this have something to do with my celiac disease?

Unlikely.

Legumes don't contain gluten, although the hummus might have if it was store bought? Did you read the ingredients?

I'd hazard a guess that soy is your problem given that it's one of the top allergens in the Western world. I'd be inclined to let the symptoms subside & reassess individually - soy & peanuts are often given their own reintro due to them being highly allergenic.

Archived