Whole 30 with the Flu?

Hi All,

I know this is not technically a medication condition but I was not sure where to put it.

I've gotten a REALLY bad fluy (bad as in headachy, listlessness and aching all over) with a little sore throat and a little congestion.

I found myself trying to resort back to old comfort eating last night.

As I've never had the flu while being on the Whole30 I'm wondering how you sooth yourself?

Thanks.

I started to catch whatever bug my kids had going around. I drank some bone broth and ate a sweet potato. I was better in an hour. I'm not sure what did it, but that's my go to sick food now. Protein is hard for me to eat when I'm under the weather, but I can usually deal with eggs.

I've never had to deal with flue on W30 but I did have a really bad bout of enteritis which was no fun. My go to is chicken soup, it cures all ills :). When I've got a cold or flu I like to add chilli flakes or powder to it. Mind you I like that added to almost anything. I also had a lot of pureed soups, I found them more comforting and easier to digest. I managed to chop up some cooked meat and add it. Scrambled eggs is another easy option that I find comforting and you can add all sorts to it if you feel like it, cooked meat, cooked veggies, etc. I also found avocado quite easy and soothing and nice with a tin of tuna.

I totally agree with the bone broth. I didn't have any when I was sick but now I've tried it, I think it would be great. And if you can find a nice herb tea you like that will help soothe the throat. In fact tea made from sage leaves or dried sage is a traditional remedy for sore throats. The old fashioned fashioned fill a bowl with really hot water, lean your head over it and drape a towel over your head to cover the bowl so you're in a sort of tent, breathing in the steam is really good and even better if you add a few drops of essential oil, lavender, tea-tree and rosemary are all good for throats, will help the congestion as well.

Nothing helps the achey feeling better than having a hot bath with abou a pound of epsom salts in it. soak for at least 15 minutes and go straight to bed afterwards. Really hope you feel better soon.

Archived