post w/o food after 8 p.m.

bronnyd

hello!

Heloooo! I have this quest posted in another forum too but thought this would be a good place to post also.  I've been going to the gym (woohoo!) and my workouts are usually at night. Tonight I have a 7:15 pm cardio workout in a rowing class, my new love, and plan on having dinner at 6 p.m. I would rather not eat the bonus meal after (four meals???) because my tendency is to graze at night. Also eating at night creates all sorts of issues for me like wonky sleep and bloating and low energy in general. I'm finding it helpful to stop eating after 7:30 p.m. at latest. Not that that's happening consistently, but I'm working on it. Any feedback regarding post w/o foods after exercising at night? Would a snack suffice? If so, what's the best yet minimal post w/o snack after a hard sweaty evening w/o (I'm drinking tons of water, and supplement with CALM magnesium/potassium powder after w/o)? 

13 minutes ago, bronnyd said:

Any feedback regarding post w/o foods after exercising at night? Would a snack suffice?

How are you differentiating the two? I mean, why not a small amount of postWO protein that will allow protein muscle synthesis meaning your muscles will properly recover & repair, as opposed to whatever it is you're snacking on? What are you snacking on by the way? And what are you doing in terms of trying to put an end to that?

Hi jmcbn thanks for replying. That's a good question and the answer is I am finding myself doing extremes - since I'm trying not to eat after 7:30 I've been just drinking water post workout .... OR I have another meal of something like sausage, egg and chard (which I had last night and it didn't settle well). I'm fairly new to working out in the gym so need to ramp up on feeding the body afterwards.

Was thinking of having a small amount of squash (like 1/2 cup) and maybe a bite or two of leftover salmon from dinner post w/o tonight and call it done. Does that sound good? I'm a little confused as to when I should be eating the carbs - am under the impression that carbs post w/o is helpful to replenish glycogen in muscles. Or is protein more beneficial? Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, bronnyd said:

Was thinking of having a small amount of squash (like 1/2 cup) and maybe a bite or two of leftover salmon from dinner post w/o tonight and call it done. Does that sound good? I'm a little confused as to when I should be eating the carbs - am under the impression that carbs post w/o is helpful to replenish glycogen in muscles. Or is protein more beneficial? Thanks!!

Salmon is a little oily for postWO - you don't want fat as it will slow down absorption of the nutrients.

Protein will help the muscle recover & repair, and starchy veg will replenish muscle glycogen which won't otherwise normalise on a daily basis - whether or not you need the starch postWO really depends on the intensity of your WO, and the volume of starch you are eating throughout the day. How long is the rowing class?

rowing is 45 mins. it's intense and I really sweat and feel it in my muscles after. That really helps to hear about the fat after w/o! 

I did have a little starch (squash) at lunch today but none for dinner. Maybe the squash and a hb egg? or just the hb egg?

5 minutes ago, bronnyd said:

I did have a little starch (squash) at lunch today but none for dinner. Maybe the squash and a hb egg? or just the hb egg?

The squash & the egg white would be good. Yolk = fat. No yolk. ;)

Sorry to keep you hanging for a response - it was time for some beauty sleep in my part of the world...!!

Yep, saving the yolks for breakfast is fine. Or what I often do is pre boil some eegs & eat the yolks for preWO & save the whites for post, but either way, as long is it just the protein postWO you're fine.

Yes, Egg whites form a carton are fine so long as they are just that, but personally I'd rather just buy the *actual* egg. Eggs froma carton remind me of that powdered potato called SMASH my mum used to give as a kid. I was never sure if it was potato at all - which may well have contributed to my love of REAL food...!! :lol:

• Moderators
21 hours ago, bronnyd said:

oh whoops ok sorry about that. I saw this workout category after I made my initial post. Can I ask why we can't post more then once in different forums for feedback?

Sure :)  Because it makes the forum messier and harder to follow along to. It also means that we're doing double the work because we do try and answer all threads so if jmcbn saw and answered this thread and I saw and answered the other thread, that's duplicating work when we're volunteers that do this in our spare time... answering the same question in multiple places means we have less time to answer the other questions.  Also, you usually get a reply in 24 hours or less to any question anywhere on the forum so it's not necessary to post in mulitiple places to increase your odds of a response... we respond to everything ;)

Archived