Peanuts - bloated and gassy

Dreamlet

I recently finished my first whole30 and I've started doing reintroductions. Surprisingly, I had no noticeable reaction to wheat. Dairy gave me hives. Today I ate some peanut butter and have become very bloated and have pretty bad gas pains.  Is this a typical response to peanuts or to legumes in general? 

I'm trying to decide if I should try introducing other legumes or just avoid them all based on this reaction. Is there anything specific to peanuts that might cause this reaction, or is it likely to happen with all legumes?

3 hours ago, Dreamlet said:

Is this a typical response to peanuts or to legumes in general? 

Yep, this is how legumes effect me, but not ALL legumes. I'd be inclined to break it down & try the ones you like individually.

Peanuts are an oligosaccharide (the O in FODMAP) and are known to cause bloating & gas. Legumes in general are high in phytic acid which binds to other minerals in your body and inhibit the digestive enzymes from doing their job. Some legumes are more easily digested than others though (lentils, mung & black eye are said to be the easiest), and using dry beans & soaking them overnight helps.

8 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Yep, this is how legumes effect me, but not ALL legumes. I'd be inclined to break it down & try the ones you like individually.

Peanuts are an oligosaccharide (the O in FODMAP) and are known to cause bloating & gas. Legumes in general are high in phytic acid which binds to other minerals in your body and inhibit the digestive enzymes from doing their job. Some legumes are more easily digested than others though (lentils, mung & black eye are said to be the easiest), and using dry beans & soaking them overnight helps.

Thank you! I know certain beans have this effect on me, so I will try the ones you mentioned individually to test them out. 

Archived