Reintroduction hesitation-help please!!

Kellj4949

Hello, I am needing some real, true advice!!! I started the W30 journey thinking I would never make it, lol, but I did and did it well actually!! I have always had stomach pains and wanted to source the cause, but now that my 30 days is up, I feel amazing and energetic with no foods giving me that instant ache! I truly don't want to transition as I'm afraid and now it has been 37 days and I am afraid to reintroduce any off plan foods as I don't want to be sick, bloat, feel like garbage, etc. I know it's advised to bring back these foods, but I'm just so mentally afraid. What can I do to get over this hump!!? And what is now becoming another concern is that even though I'm "off" or passed the w30, I find I am overeating at night on healthy "on plan" foods. Like Lara bars nuts coconut shreds and dates. Tons of dates. I know I cant be trusted it seems, but I don't know If I'm internally saying it's okay because i still feel good and amazing the next day!? Plus it's better than the alternatives of dark chocolate and other snacks items.  I know I'm battling a few different issues, but what  can I do as I feel I'm loosing control on what is and was such a good program for me?? Totally lost and afraid now! Thanks for all the advice!

• Moderators

If you had been dealing with stomach pains before, nuts, dried fruits, and Larabars are the worst thing you could be eating. They're the compliant items most likely to cause digestive issues for people. So, even if you aren't having problems now, if you keep eating these things, it's likely to cause issues in the future, especially if you eat more and more of them over time. You don't have the rules of Whole30 to keep you eating this way, but you can set your own rules. I know that's harder than just following the rules that are set, but it's important to do for yourself. So make a rule that if you are hungry between meals, you're going to grab some leftovers or a hard boiled egg or something other than a Larabar, and that if you're not actually hungry, you're going to do something other than eat -- journal, exercise, meditate, work on a hobby, do your nails, go to bed, call a friend, read a book, whatever makes sense for you.

For the rest, I answered another post you'd replied to here: 

I think most of what I said there applies to you as well as the other individual. 

I was also nervous about doing reintroductions, but I found that the structure of it was really helpful in transitioning from the whole30 to a less rule based way of eating. I am also learning a lot about my own specific sensitivities as I go through it. 

Like you, I had stomach and digestive issues for years before trying the whole30. The reintroductions, while at times uncomfortable because of the symptoms or reaction, have been quite empowering. I'm gaining important information about exactly what effect specific foods have on me so that I can make informed decisions in the future. Let's face it, we are all going to end up in situations where we don't have 100% control over the food that is available or how it is prepared. The information I've gained through the reintro will help me make the best choices I can in any given circumstance. 

As as far as over eating now that you're done with your whole30 - are you still eating enough at meals? Are you still following the template? Maybe you're hungry and need to add something to your last meal of the day to ward off hunger. 

Archived