Started March 1, Day 28

Day 28. Any change I saw or felt in my body happened the first week. Maybe I just lost a little water weight, but I felt a tad smaller in the tummy. Since then, I've had no change. I thought I might at least get down a size. Nope. I don't feel any different. I don't look any different.

I discovered soy in a supplement I was taking twice a day on Day 9 and pledged to restart the days, so I'll take it right through Lent. But so far I have to say Whole 30 is a bust for me.

I know some other people were starting on March 1 and also going through Lent, but I can't find the original posts. I'd love to hear from those people!

And please. I don't want to argue about whether this is a weight-loss program. Save it. Seriously.

Here's the March 1 start date thread: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/42457-starting-march-1st/?page=1

Some of those participants are going through Lent, though I don't think there's a dedicated thread for WholeLent this year.

If you're interested in getting some feedback about your Whole30, you can post a few days' worth of meals, water intake, sleep, activity, stress levels, medical issues - anything you're comfortable sharing in public and would like feedback on. We'd be happy to offer some help and support.

13 hours ago, michicali65 said:

Day 28. Any change I saw or felt in my body happened the first week. Maybe I just lost a little water weight, but I felt a tad smaller in the tummy. Since then, I've had no change. I thought I might at least get down a size. Nope. I don't feel any different. I don't look any different.

I discovered soy in a supplement I was taking twice a day on Day 9 and pledged to restart the days, so I'll take it right through Lent. But so far I have to say Whole 30 is a bust for me.

I know some other people were starting on March 1 and also going through Lent, but I can't find the original posts. I'd love to hear from those people!

And please. I don't want to argue about whether this is a weight-loss program. Save it. Seriously.

Is this your first whole30 or have you done one or more before? I personally have done a few over the years, and I found that my most dramatic changes (weight loss and otherwise) happened after my first. After the others, I remained mostly whole3 between rounds (and haven't done one in a year - yay food freedom!) and didn't see as dramatic of a difference from day 1-30. Maybe that is happening here?

Like AmyS mentioned, it's always good to post a few days worth of meals - if you're following the template and eating the right portions the weight loss *should* happen naturally as a result. Sometimes not eating enough can actually have the opposite effect that you want. Or, maybe your body is finally at a comfortable/right weight for you? That's what happened to me :) 

Thanks for the link, Amy! I'll see what's going on over there.

Rachel, this is my first time. 

A typical day looks like this:

Breakfast -- two eggs fried/scrambled in coconut oil and an avocado. Or I'll mix the better part of a bag of spinach in with the eggs.

Lunch -- one English cucumber and one head of celery, both organic, and an avocado, topped with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, dried garlic and dried dill. Today I was out of everything, so I thawed a bag of berries and topped them with a dollop of almond butter.

Dinner -- a big salad or a baked potato and vegetables, both with a side of fish.

If I'm hungry, I'll have a cherry pie Lara Bar or a handful of roasted almonds. I'm not usually hungry, though.

I've been primarily vegan some time but reintroduced pasture-raised eggs and fish just for the diet. 

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

17 hours ago, michicali65 said:

Thanks for the link, Amy! I'll see what's going on over there.

Rachel, this is my first time. 

A typical day looks like this:

Breakfast -- two eggs fried/scrambled in coconut oil and an avocado. Or I'll mix the better part of a bag of spinach in with the eggs.

Lunch -- one English cucumber and one head of celery, both organic, and an avocado, topped with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, dried garlic and dried dill. Today I was out of everything, so I thawed a bag of berries and topped them with a dollop of almond butter.

Dinner -- a big salad or a baked potato and vegetables, both with a side of fish.

If I'm hungry, I'll have a cherry pie Lara Bar or a handful of roasted almonds. I'm not usually hungry, though.

I've been primarily vegan some time but reintroduced pasture-raised eggs and fish just for the diet. 

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Hi again - I took a look-see at your other posts and observed the following issues that you brought into your Whole30 experience:

• in or going through menopause, taking a soy-based supplement for estrogen purposes until day 9
  • unexplained weight gain in the past year
  • a sense that your thyroid and hormones are the underlying cause of your recent difficulties, and a concurrent experience that your doctor did not help you to sort this out

Over the course of your Whole30:

• you were hoping/intending to drop a clothing size, and that did not happen.
  • You also indicated that you do not feel any different.
  • Finally, you were/are not interested in hearing any more information about Whole30 being something other than a weight loss program.

You also indicate that you generally eat vegan, but that you added eggs and fish for the purposes of completing a Whole30.

If I've missed anything, let me know, but I think that summarizes all that you have shared here on the forums.

My response:

First, when you are dealing with thyroid and hormone issues and going through menopause and unexplained weight gain, you may find that Whole30 offers nutritional support for the symptoms that arise there. Whole30 is unlikely to resolve them entirely. Additionally, if the issues are particularly entrenched/persistent, Whole30 will not so much remove the issues as it will highlight their persistence. Example: I believed that Whole30 would resolve my high blood pressure. Over time, unfortunately Whole30 revealed that I definitely need to be on medication each and every day for my blood pressure. Once I did all that I could to resolve that issue with nutrition, it was time to find a doctor who actually supported me and offered true solutions for my actual medical needs.

This may mean that it's time to either return to the doctor and let them know that you have done all that you can with regard to diet and supplementation, and it's time for more tests/support. It's not uncommon, by the way, for this kind of proactive seeking of medical care to result in your needing to look for a new doctor.

Second, with regard to your Whole30: you have made a significant change in your eating habits in order to do a Whole30, and that kind of change takes time for the body to adjust. Going from vegan to eating eggs and fish as protein is a pretty big change! Given that, it makes sense that the experience would be at the least unfamiliar, and also frustrating - and much of what vegan nutrition philosophy promotes is diametrically opposed to what Whole30 promotes. So again, this is a big change, not just in your daily eating habits, but also in the mindset. Your experience with feeling very confused about soy is an example of different understandings of the role of soy in the female body during menopause.

Finally, when it comes to your daily eating, thank you for posting a sample of your daily eating pattern. It's always helpful to go back and look at these patterns when something feels generally out of whack. I do have some suggestions, which I offer with a healthy dose of my first and second points above.

1. For Whole30 purposes, the only protein you are eating comes from eggs and fish. Nuts and nut butters are fat sources for Whole30 purposes, and they are not recommended to be eaten regularly as they have a high Omega 6/Omega 3 ratio; additionally, they cause digestive distress for many; and they are food without brakes for many as well.

2. The Whole30 meal template is your friend as you continue. You want one or two palm-size portions of protein (again, that's eggs and fish - and eggs, when they are the sole source of protein, are as many as you can hold in your hand - so probably 3 or 4); one or two thumb-size portions of fat minimum (and don't count the cooking fat for this purpose); and then 2-3 cups of veggies (fill your plate with veggies - when you are eating leafy greens, imagine them wilted down to get the correct proportions - you'll need lots!). We recommend that you eat this template meal three times a day, the first time within one hour of waking.

3. Whole30 is not a program that provides for snacks. If your meals do not satisfy you for 4-5 hours, then make a mini-meal of protein and fat, or a mini-meal of protein, fat, and veggies, or another full meal if you are really hungry. Then revisit your meal composition beginning with breakfast the next day. Lara bars are to be used in the kind of emergency where your two options are to starve or eat your traveling companion. Nuts for a snack are not recommended for the reasons listed above.

In general, make sure that your breakfast has enough protein and veggies; that your lunch has protein; and that your dinner has fat.

When you bring a set of health challenges to Whole30, then Whole30 may resolve them or it may highlight the need for more support from medical folks who are truly knowledgeable about your situation. Regardless, eating whole foods will offer the nutritional base line from which you can find the answers you seek.

I wish I had a magic wand to wave to take away the weight gain that you have found so unexpected and troubling. More than that, I'm troubled myself (but unfortunately not surprised) that you have found less help from your doctor than you need. My final suggestion would be to either continue Whole30 or begin reintroductions; and to find a doctor who listens. And stay around these forums to ask more questions and seek more support as needed. We're always here for you.

Thank you for posting this.  I am just finishing day 20 and I haven't noticed any real changes either.  I keep waiting for my skin to clear up, get more energy, and lose a little belly weight.  I'm starting to feel like I must be doing something wrong since I'm not experiencing all the great side effects everybody else seems to get.

Amy, thanks very much for taking the time to read my posts and deliver such a comprehensive response. I greatly appreciate it.

I'm giving it through Lent, so in these last few days I'll up my eggs and watch the nuts. 

Thank you for the support!

Archived