Feb 27 Reintro Group!

Okay, I am definitely doing the planned reintro. I'll start with legumes tomorrow (today is technically Day 30 for me because of a mess-up on Day 1). I am spending the weekend at my parents' house and was scared to tell them about what I'm doing. I don't know why I was. My mom was so supportive on the phone. I told her I could bring my own food so that they wouldn't be put out, but she was having none of that. She basically planned the menu with me on the phone. I am so relieved and grateful. See, we have similar food issues, and that made me nervous to tell her. I'm one of the few who just didn't care to share with people (unless necessary) that I was even doing a Whole30. I just didn't want the comments or questions (not to mention judgments!), and that's worked out great for me. But I think I underestimated my parents. My mom even said, "Actually, it sounds like you can eat a lot of stuff!" Yes, yes I can. 

Here's to a successful reintro for all! I bet it will be super eye-opening...

So, I decided to try "commercially" produced fries today at school, instead of my usual baked potato. However, I think my school bakes the fries, so I'm not sure if that counts as reintroducing something or not. But, tonight at my other job, they will be having pizza, so I plan on eating a slice of that. We'll see how it goes! 

I'm a little nervous about reintroduction because I worked so hard over the last month, and I don't want all of the strides that I've made to be undone. That has happened so many times before, and I'm tired of falling off of the wagon. It hurts! :P

I think this may be harder than the actual program! 

I'm having a rocky reintroduction so far.  I decided to start with non gluten grain, bc I miss eating rice.  Ate corn yesterday for lunch, and rice and taco shells for supper.  My stomach was a bit upset last night, and I was tired all morning today.  Correlation does not equal causation, so I'm going to wait a couple of days and then eat just the rice.  I've been gluten free for years (celiac), so if I lose the non gluten  grains, I'm out of grain options.  :wacko:

It's been a great ride. I am struggling to decided to stay W30 a little longer or slow intro. We have spring break next week, so won't have time for the 10 day.

Can I slow intro, but add beans and then go back to strict W30 until we leave Sunday?...while away, basically go back to W30 with out the strict sugar watching and then go back to reintro upon return?

34 minutes ago, Foodie on W30 said:

It's been a great ride. I am struggling to decided to stay W30 a little longer or slow intro. We have spring break next week, so won't have time for the 10 day.

Can I slow intro, but add beans and then go back to strict W30 until we leave Sunday?...while away, basically go back to W30 with out the strict sugar watching and then go back to reintro upon return?

I'm sure the moderators will know better but I think you can add the beans in for a day as long as you go strict whole 30 for the next two days.  I am kind of doing something similar.  I don't really want to fully begin reintroduction until at least Sunday because I am a musician and playing in a show and just don't want to risk not feeling well with that kind of pressure.  I have decided not to be crazy strict with sugar watching until I am following up my reintro days.  Today, the one thing I wouldn't have had on a strict Whole 30 were some kettle chips* that were packaged and had a few "sneaky sugars" in them.  The other not totally Whole 30 thing I did today was snacking, but to be honest it was more because of my schedule.  I packed as if to eat meals but just kind of had to eat them as snacks.  We are in testing in NY schools so my first free period today was 8th period (1:45) and I knew I needed to eat but only had a few minutes here or there/inbetween periods/awkwardly at my desk while kids were working lol.  And then with rehearsal for this show I kind of fell into the same pattern.  Unfortunately tomorrow will be quite similar schedule wise so I am again going to stay basically Whole 30, no big reintros.  I may be able to eat lunch at 1, but I would need to eat dinner at 4:15/30 so I will probably eat again after the show (say 10 o'clock) as well.  I will see how I feel and go from there.

*as for the kettle chips, I wanted to try something that isn't a terrible trigger for me but enough of one to work on going back afterwards.  I started reading Food Freedom Forever and I am coming to terms with the relationship I've had with food in the past, during the Whole 30, and in the future.  It is important for me to learn to have a "trigger" food and then move away from it (as Melissa talked about the Cadbury Creme Egg in the book I envied her ability to put it away for a year, and I guess ideally that's the goal, right?).  The most interesting thing is that a co-worker asked me how it was, and, well, eh.  They were crunchy which I missed, and that's about it.  I'm excited not to go to that food again for a while.  Food freedom...a work in progress.

Thank you for starting this thread TeacherFitJourneyy :)

I don't have any desire to reintro anything. So far I've still just carried on with strict W30. Partly because I'm not excited about legumes and partly because I'm so happy to have much less Inflammation. That being said,  the only thing I kind of want is quinoa. I will probably skip legumes and do quinoa first. Do we really need to do legumes first? 

4 hours ago, Msb5643 said:

I woke up with a cold on day 31!! I am holding off on reintroduction until I feel better.  I was sooo looking forward to that glass of wine!

There's no "Dislike" button here... 

That stinks! Sorry you're sick Msb5643! Get better soon. 

Okay so I was all set to start with legumes today. Last night I ran out and bought a couple of peanut butter cookie Larabars and some popcorn. Of course, I've just realized that corn is a non-gluten GRAIN, not a legume. I had to go to an early doctor's appointment that required fasting so the Larabars were my breakfast at work. I was going to munch on the popcorn around lunch, but now I'll have to find something else. 

In other news, I treated myself to a bottled coffee drink from Whole Foods I found that is 100% compliant. It's Califia Farms unsweetened black & white cold brew coffee with almond milk. The bottle says it's non-GMO, dairy free, soy free, gluten free, vegan, BPA free, carrageenan free and made with Rainforest Alliance-certified coffee. That's a lot of FREE haha. 

Ingredients: cold brew coffee (water, coffee extract), almond milk (water, almonds), coconut cream, potassium citrate, sunflower lecithin, calcium carbonate, sea salt, natural flavors, locust bean gum, gellan gum

It's pretty delicious. It would be even more delicious if I sprinkled a little stevia in it, but I refuse to wake up my sugar dragon!! I almost never buy coffee because the $$ really adds up if I get in the habit, but it's nice to know there's an option out there. It was $2.99 for a 10.5 oz/310 ml bottle. 

4 hours ago, diamonds422 said:

In other news, I treated myself to a bottled coffee drink from Whole Foods I found that is 100% compliant. It's Califia Farms unsweetened black & white cold brew coffee with almond milk. The bottle says it's non-GMO, dairy free, soy free, gluten free, vegan, BPA free, carrageenan free and made with Rainforest Alliance-certified coffee. That's a lot of FREE haha. 

I had the same thing about 10 minutes ago!  Bought a few at Target.  The price is a bit much but were good for on the go.

I had a fun-sized bag of M&Ms yesterday, and I was so worried that it would awaken my Sugar Dragon and set me off....but it didn't! I had the one small bag, and I haven't craved sweets! This makes me feel better about riding my own bike, and it lets me know that I can keep up this lifestyle!

I did reintroduce bread today....but not really by choice. I was in a car wreck last night, and was left with 2 back sprains. So, I'm stuck inside and having to order food (Uber Eats has been a lifesaver today). So, I had a bagel (no cream cheese or butter, just the bagel) this morning, and a sandwich from Subway for lunch...with no cheese. I feel like I'm doing okay, but I'm not sure what to do for dinner. Maybe order a burger and roast some potatoes? I don't want to go off plan too much. 

I started with Legumes on Wednesday, Day 31.  I had natural peanut butter (no sugar added) on apples with my lunch.  A handful of unsalted dry roasted peanuts as a snack.  Within about 2 hours, I was having some stomach issues.  I ate peas with my dinner.  They tasted really good.  I noticed the peanut butter was non gmo and wasn't sure about the peanuts so thought that might play into the stomach issues so had a spoonful of peanut butter after dinner.  Afternoon of Day 32 stomach issues again and lingering pain in the middle of my stomach.  The same feeling I would get each night about 4 years ago before I cut gluten from my diet.  I haven't felt that same thing until yesterday afternoon.  It is pretty much gone today.  Tomorrow, I'll introduce gluten free grains.  This reintroduction is really interesting.  My mother-in-law and a coworker each sent me an article or podcast this week relating to eating paleo, issue of gmo vs. non gmo, and gyphosate (roundup) in our food.  Trying to piece information together as well as my experience to have some freedom with my food.  My wife is concerned I'll never be able to eat anything (pasta, cheese, ice cream, pizza, or out to eat) ever again!  Ha!  

On 3/30/2017 at 0:32 AM, Msb5643 said:
1 hour ago, eblanchardcf said:

I started with Legumes on Wednesday, Day 31.  I had natural peanut butter (no sugar added) on apples with my lunch.  A handful of unsalted dry roasted peanuts as a snack.  Within about 2 hours, I was having some stomach issues.  I ate peas with my dinner.  They tasted really good.  I noticed the peanut butter was non gmo and wasn't sure about the peanuts so thought that might play into the stomach issues so had a spoonful of peanut butter after dinner.  Afternoon of Day 32 stomach issues again and lingering pain in the middle of my stomach.  The same feeling I would get each night about 4 years ago before I cut gluten from my diet.  I haven't felt that same thing until yesterday afternoon.  It is pretty much gone today.  Tomorrow, I'll introduce gluten free grains.  This reintroduction is really interesting.  My mother-in-law and a coworker each sent me an article or podcast this week relating to eating paleo, issue of gmo vs. non gmo, and gyphosate (roundup) in our food.  Trying to piece information together as well as my experience to have some freedom with my food.  My wife is concerned I'll never be able to eat anything (pasta, cheese, ice cream, pizza, or out to eat) ever again!  Ha!  

Each time you had the pain in your stomach - had you had the dry roasted peanuts? 

Those always gave me pain in my stomach too. Sometimes cramping in my stomach. Try avoiding the roasted and only eat raw nuts. That fixed the problem for me. 

Good luck! 

17 hours ago, mandab17 said:

I had a fun-sized bag of M&Ms yesterday, and I was so worried that it would awaken my Sugar Dragon and set me off....but it didn't! I had the one small bag, and I haven't craved sweets! This makes me feel better about riding my own bike, and it lets me know that I can keep up this lifestyle!

I did reintroduce bread today....but not really by choice. I was in a car wreck last night, and was left with 2 back sprains. So, I'm stuck inside and having to order food (Uber Eats has been a lifesaver today). So, I had a bagel (no cream cheese or butter, just the bagel) this morning, and a sandwich from Subway for lunch...with no cheese. I feel like I'm doing okay, but I'm not sure what to do for dinner. Maybe order a burger and roast some potatoes? I don't want to go off plan too much. 

I'm so sorry! That's awful. Hope you feel better soon!

So yesterday for breakfast I had those two peanut Larabars, and later a decent amount of hummus with lunch. No reaction whatsoever. Hours later, in the evening after eating a Whole30 dinner, I started feeling some very mild bloating and stomach sensations. I say sensations because it wasn't pain or even discomfort, but something was going on. No gas or other digestive issues. These are things I wouldn't have even noticed pre-Whole30. I wasn't really bothered. Today I'm pretty tired, but I went to bed way too late last night so I doubt it's related. Anyone else wish they could go off and do Whole30 + reintro in some super controlled, luxurious spa atmosphere? We can dream. 

Oh, and speaking of dreams, I had some crazy vivid weird ones last night. Legumes? Who knows...

So I had a couple of pieces of chocolate today, and I must say, it tastes different now. It's a weird taste...not sweet like I found it to be before Whole30. And I'm not craving it. I was able to have 2 small pieces and stop. 

I'm still nervous about undoing everything that I accomplished on Whole30, but I'm getting better about it. I've had bread yesterday and today with no adverse reactions, so that's making me more comfortable about adding it back into my diet. My dinner tonight will be completely Whole30 compliant because I feel like I need it. I'm still recovering from my car accident, so I'm tired thanks to the medication that I'm on. But, I'm better than I was doing yesterday, hence why I'm able to cook a compliant dinner tonight. 

OK, sounds like we are all having our ups and downs with reinto!  Tonight (dinner) was my first non compliant meal.  Went out to dinner and tried my best to behave without ruining the night.  I really didn't notice much of a change, or at least didn't realized the changes until now.  I split a half bottle of white wine, had crab cake appetizer with side slaw and arugula, entree was grilled salmon, over wild grain rice and quinoa with grilled veggies.  I can't honestly say what was REALLY in everything other than the obvious ingredients.  Of course I basically licked the dish clean!  But, I felt so stuffed, like over ate stuffed and then one hour later, my hands and feet began to swell, like they were always doing prior to whole 30.  Now, being that I reintroduced so many groups at once Im not sure what is causing this discomfort.  I've used more salt in my cooking since prior to starting whole 30 so I don't think its that, but who knows and I'll need to try one item at a time to figure it out.  I had no pasta or bread of anything really too heavy.  Lesson learned, I feel better on the program than off so I'll only eat like this once in a while because its not worth feeling like crap as I do now!  Happy Weekend!

I ate cheese pizza and drank 2 glasses of wine last night.  I was full...but what I noticed was that I didn't stay full for very long!  Eating strictly whole30 I felt full all,the time....sometimes had to force myself to,eat dinner.  So right there is a huge lesson for me!  I also had 2 pieces of chocolate on Thursday...Easter candy fundraiser at school...the chocolate still tasted really really good....so no change in taste for me.  But sweets are not my huge issue...give me a bag of chips, cheese crackers etc...that's my issue and have have stayed clear of those so far.  I still plan to prep tomorrow so I can stay whole30ish as much as possible during the week.  Have a good weekend everyone!  

I went 33 days and then (as planned) had a few indulgences this weekend on a camping trip. S'mores and margaritas... lol, not together! The chocolate tasted good and normally one indulgence would've opened the floodgates, but I had my treats and was over it. I'm so happy I didn't crave more. (p.s. next day result - fruit didn't taste as sweet!? :(  ) 

Between the sweetness of the campfire dessert and the margaritas, I had a double hangover of sorts - sugar and alcohol. Probably the combo making each other more noticeable... so I'm home now and very eager to clean up my act and start another round for 30 days. I really like the progress I made the last 30 days and I got the desire to partake in junk with my friends out of my system completely. Win win in my book. 

Also - I didn't notice as much of a problem with swelling after my non-compliant treats. I guess because a month off has cleaned up my system. That's another reason I want to do another 30 days now. I want to see if detoxing some more will help clear up my swelling issues... thinking my gut biome just needs to adjust to a healthier state. 

Is anyone else starting a fresh round today or tomorrow? 

Had some wine over the weekend. Wow, did both wines taste different! The chardonnay that I used to like tastes way too strong now, and my favorite pinot noir tastes even better than it used to. Odd. I definitely noticed a lack of tolerance to the alcohol and am okay with just having a glass, two max in the future. 

Today I started non-gluten grains. I've had half a bag of popcorn and even though popcorn has never been my thing, it was a food with no brakes today and I had to get it out of sight. I don't feel any effects from it at all. I'll have some brown rice later tonight. 

I probably wont do another Whole30 until May when I get back from Italy. I have a feeling I'll need it!

Archived