Oils other than olive, and fats

Aflyingbuttress

After doing an ALCAT test, I see I should not be eating olives. I assume that means I cannot have olive oil either. I also cannot have chicken or pork so those fats are out too. I'm not super knowledgeable on the selection of cooking fats out there that I can easily get my hands on. 

I have come up with coconut & avocado oil, and ghee. What else can I look for?

Ideally, I'd like to find some items that won't break the bank.

Avocado oil makes good mayo. Occasionally comes out a little greenish, but tasty. 

Personally, I don't think a wide variety of cooking fats is really necessary. If you did want to venture into animal fats, Epic sells duck fat, pork lard, and beef tallow, so you could pick up the tallow for some additional variety. 

Any nut or seed oil is fine so long as it's used in moderation. You could also opt to eat beef brisket or shin which can be quite fatty (& cheap).

For mayo a 50/50 split of avocado & coconut oil works well (the avocado oil prevents the mayo from solidifying), and I quite like mine made with walnut oil...

• Administrators

You shouldn't make mayo with olive oil anyway, it comes out very bitter. You can try avocado or macadamia nut oil for mayo. Also grapeseed works.

For other fats, coconut, avocado oil/fruit and ghee are good options. Tallow is an option but I'm not sure the cost or what your "break the bank" limit is. 

I did not like the taste, at all, (tasted like wood is the only way to describe it)  with making mayo with avocado oil.  

So my second batch someone suggested light olive oil.

I bought this Bertolli light tasting Olive Oil and loved it!  I am in Massachusetts and bought at Market Basket.   I think its a staple at most large US Grocery Stores.

plus great to cook and sauté with too!

https://www.amazon.com/Bertolli-Extra-Light-Olive-Oil/dp/B003QJF33Q/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1491444258&sr=1-1&keywords=light%2Btasting%2Bolive%2Boil&th=1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Kimberly G said:

I did not like the taste, at all, (tasted like wood is the only way to describe it)  with making mayo with avocado oil.  

I bought this Bertolli light tasting Olive Oil and loved it!  I am in Massachusetts and bought at Market Basket.   I think its a staple at most large US Grocery Stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Bertolli-Extra-Light-Olive-Oil/dp/B003QJF33Q/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1491444258&sr=1-1&keywords=light%2Btasting%2Bolive%2Boil&th=1

It's not recommended to heat light olive oil to high temperatures...

14 hours ago, Kimberly G said:

I'm in MA too, and shop at Market Basket! That's the oil I use for my mayo - hasn't failed me yet :)

23 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

It's not recommended to heat light olive oil to high temperatures...

Really?  So then why does it say, right on the front of the  bottle 'For sautéing, frying and baking"??????

oh and on the back, and I quote,

"'Extra Light' has a faint hint of olive flavor and a light aroma.  This, along with its high smoke point, allow it to perform best in cooking methods such as, Baking, deep frying, stir-frying and braising."  :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, racheleats said:

I'm in MA too, and shop at Market Basket! That's the oil I use for my mayo - hasn't failed me yet :)

Hey Rachel, this one's awesome too!   I actually used this one in my Mayo the last time, and it tastes awesome!! 

Read the reviews here ⌵ on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Filippo-Berio-Extra-Light-Olive/dp/B004ZK6IN4/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1491531935&sr=8-14&keywords=light+tasting+olive+oil

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kimberly G said:

Really?  So then why does it say, right on the front of the  bottle 'For sautéing, frying and baking"??????

oh and on the back, and I quote,

"'Extra Light' has a faint hint of olive flavor and a light aroma.  This, along with its high smoke point, allow it to perform best in cooking methods such as, Baking, deep frying, stir-frying and braising."  :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry, I don't know what happened there... I got my wires crossed... light olive oil is fine to heat... extra virgin olive oil has a much lower smoke point and is not great to cook with.  

Here's an article with a chart of the smoke points of different oils.  Bear in mind, I am in no way recommending most of these oils as they are not Whole30, but you can sift through and see which Whole30 compliant ones have the higher and lower smoke points.

My apologies for my mistake! Thanks for pointing it out!

50 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I'm really sorry, I don't know what happened there... I got my wires crossed... light olive oil is fine to heat... extra virgin olive oil has a much lower smoke point and is not great to cook with.  

Here's an article with a chart of the smoke points of different oils.  Bear in mind, I am in no way recommending most of these oils as they are not Whole30, but you can sift through and see which Whole30 compliant ones have the higher and lower smoke points.

My apologies for my mistake! Thanks for pointing it out!

No Problem!  I know! it can be hard to keep it all straight!  

Whoops, where is said article?  Did you forget to attach?  Or am I missing something?

Archived