Looking for a holiday-worthy (savory) pie I can cut in to wedges?

Carol

Hi Friends, 

My sister's 40th wedding anniversary is coming up.   Everyone going to the gathering must bring a homemade pie -- this is  a family joke --- of some sort.  A few months ago, I committed to bringing a savory pie of some sort, and my sister loved the idea.  

The dish must be round and cut in to wedges (this ties in to the family joke) , hence my struggle.  The recipes I'm seeing  don't look as if they would hold up well to the wedge cut.  The author of this savory pumpkin recipe specifically notes that her pie won't hold its shape.   This rhubarb pie and  this cottage pie are square cut casseroles baked in a square pan.  They miay be yummy, but they are not a good fit for the event.  

I can certainly make a non-compliant pie, and not eat it.  But the sharing -- and, of course, eating -- of pies is an important focal point of the party.  Since I will be still be on plan, I'd like to enjoy a piece of something compliant with my family, and I know my sister and her husband are looking forward to trying whatever I create.  

I am not looking for a SWYPO recipe -- in fact just the opposite.  I don't want share something with my family that makes them think that it's a shame I'm not cooking with (insert non-compliant ingredient here).   I want to share something that makes them say "Damn, that was GOOD!"   

Suggestions?  

• Administrators

How about a fully loaded frittata? Those hold their shape very well when cut and can be all sorts of gourmet!

Or try doing an upside down shepherd's pie of sorts? Make a meat crust (press meat into pie plate, pre-bake somewhat) and then fill it with veggies and "ice" with mashed potato or cauliflower and then rebake? That should hold its shape fairly well also.

In the UK a pie is not a pie unless it has a crust. I assume that rule does not apply here, so how about the butternut squash 'lasagne' from @stupideasypaleo - tasty, compliant, made in a round dish, slices into wedges, holds it's shape.

Here's one I made earlier...

1EE08D1F-B36D-4C5C-82EC-1127EC5A6260.jpg

4 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

How about a fully loaded frittata? Those hold their shape very well when cut and can be all sorts of gourmet!

Or try doing an upside down shepherd's pie of sorts? Make a meat crust (press meat into pie plate, pre-bake somewhat) and then fill it with veggies and "ice" with mashed potato or cauliflower and then rebake? That should hold its shape fairly well also.

Thank you so much!   The upside down shepherd's pie sounds fascinating!    

The loaded fritatta would definitely work too - and I know my sister would love it.  I'm keeping that as my backup option, since frittatas aremy go-to weekend breakfast.  Ideally I'd like to try something new and get feedback from everyone else. :D

14 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

In the UK a pie is not a pie unless it has a crust. I assume that rule does not apply here, so how about the butternut squash 'lasagne' from @stupideasypaleo - tasty, compliant, made in a round dish, slices into wedges, holds it's shape.

Here's one I made earlier...

1EE08D1F-B36D-4C5C-82EC-1127EC5A6260.jpg

Correct, it doesn't apply.  (Don't tell the food police....LOL!)

That recipe, and your presentation look AMAZING.  Thank you SO much!

• 2 weeks later...

We have a winner!    The decision was....actually....a frittata!

Earlier this week,  BF said he wanted to have breakfast with me.  I'm a zombie in the mornings so I was pulling ingredients out of the fridge and hoping for the best.   I made a frittata out of scrambled eggs and some leftover chicken curry

I cut the frittata with a pizza wheel as usual.   BF and I both grabbed a slice.   It is delicious!   BF dives in for a second piece and says THIS is what I should bring for a savory pie.    Its yummy, and different, but not too different.   Not so different that it would weird out the little kids or the older folks.    

Everyone at the gathering loved it, and asked if I would make it again the next time we got together.   I didn't even have time to snap a photo....the frittata disappeared in short order.

I really appreciate the other suggestions.   I wan to try them all, and they inspired me to buy the Well Fed cookbook.   I've already tried Mel's recipe for spaghetti squash, and I look forward to exploring more :)

On 4/9/2017 at 10:16 PM, ladyshanny said:

Yes!!!!! What do I win for the excellent suggestion?? Haha...just kidding. Glad it worked out for you!!

You win DINNER!    My place, whenever you are in NH :D

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Carol said:

You win DINNER!    My place, whenever you are in NH :D

Sold! That is a long, LONG way away (about 3,100 miles or so) though so you probably don't have to put a meal plan together for awhile. ;)

Archived