April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, my sleep and energy haven't really improved. I do feel generally good, though, and am enjoying feeling in control of my eating. On the cooking front, I've started cooking large quantities of veggies, like sautéed mixed bell peppers and onions, or red cabbage onions and green apple, so that at least I don't have to mess with them at every meal. I also cook a bunch of sweet potatoes or spaghetti squash at the same time. And double up on recipes like chili and chicken cacciatore. It helps.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Knittheresistance said:

Day 20 here. I feel so little difference it's disheartening. I can't ascribe my increased energy specifically to the change in diet, because the sun has returned to Seattle (plus I'm still sleepy). I don't feel like I've lost an ounce. I've asked all the people who regularly see my body (massage therapist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, and husband, not necessarily in that order) and they observe no change. My husband says maybe my face looks a little difference. No change in the back flab. Tshirts that had gotten tight are still tight. I only wear leggings and tshirts, and the tshirts I stopped wearing because the sleeves had gotten too tight, are still too tight. As ever, doing a restricted diet is doing nothing for me.

I am used to eating a heavily plant based diet with meat only 3-4 total meals per week, and we've been rotating meat-fish-meat-fish for dinners every night. I'm used to tofu and veg, tofu and veg, beans and rice and veg. So that's different.

I haven't eaten wheat, dairy, soy, or sugar since day 1. No difference.

No difference in bowel function.

No difference in appetite.

Frustrated. Thought I'd be a tiny bit changed.

The only "diet" that has ever helped was the Clean Cleanse -- protein smoothie for breakfast, protein and veg for lunch, light soup for dinner. Lost a ton. Gained it back when I started eating like a normal human again.

frustrated.

I've been inspired by your commitment and I feel so badly for you and your experience. For what it's worth, I was eating much the same as you (minus the tofu), a pescatarian for 37 years, getting an organic year round veggie share, not eating processed crap or fast food at all, walking 20-30 miles/week, and I am disappointed to not feel physically better (fibro, chronic fatigue for decades) or to feel like I've lost weight, though the bloat is gone. I'm still glad that I'm doing this though, because it's helped me rein in my grazing and try new recipes and combinations of food. Perhaps we're learning that, for some of us with long term health issues, we're still going to have to live with some of their effects. But I very much agree with Alaska Woman and others to keep going, maybe beyond 30 days, to see if anything shifts.

Are you exercising? My walking has saved my sanity throughout the years of dealing with all this chronic stuff, even though it was really hard at first. I had to decide at a very young age that I wasn't going to let chronic pain define who I am. I have limitations of course but walking is something that renews me every day. That may not be what works for you, but I hope you find something that does, if you haven't already.

And I hope you take up the moderator on her offer to review what you've been eating. This is such a healthy food plan that it's worth adopting long term, whether weight loss accompanies it or not. 

As a side note, non-organic soybeans have been found to be more pesticide dense now, which is why I've quit eating tofu. Somehow they attract and hold onto pesticides much more than other legumes.

We are all here rooting for you!

23 hours ago, Knittheresistance said:

Day 20 here. I feel so little difference it's disheartening. I can't ascribe my increased energy specifically to the change in diet, because the sun has returned to Seattle (plus I'm still sleepy). I don't feel like I've lost an ounce. I've asked all the people who regularly see my body (massage therapist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, and husband, not necessarily in that order) and they observe no change. My husband says maybe my face looks a little difference. No change in the back flab. Tshirts that had gotten tight are still tight. I only wear leggings and tshirts, and the tshirts I stopped wearing because the sleeves had gotten too tight, are still too tight. As ever, doing a restricted diet is doing nothing for me.

I am used to eating a heavily plant based diet with meat only 3-4 total meals per week, and we've been rotating meat-fish-meat-fish for dinners every night. I'm used to tofu and veg, tofu and veg, beans and rice and veg. So that's different.

I haven't eaten wheat, dairy, soy, or sugar since day 1. No difference.

No difference in bowel function.

No difference in appetite.

Frustrated. Thought I'd be a tiny bit changed.

The only "diet" that has ever helped was the Clean Cleanse -- protein smoothie for breakfast, protein and veg for lunch, light soup for dinner. Lost a ton. Gained it back when I started eating like a normal human again.

frustrated.

I am sorry  that you are frustrated.Are you drinking enough water?

From the Whole 30 book I've made the chili, the chicken cacciatore, the brisket & the ,butternut squash soup, and the salmon cakes. They were all yummy. Most of the time I just roast or sauce large quantities of veggies so that I have them ready to add to the meat for a lot of meals. I've been trying to keep the meats simple: chicken thighs browned & then simmered in a little bone broth for about half an hour, hamburger patties, Aidell's chicken & apple sausage, compliant franks, and canned salmon. 

I'm retired and it's just my husband and I at home (he just started the program yesterday when they had to cancel his cataract surgery because his blood sugar was so high). Even so I've found the program to be pretty labor intensive compared to the way we were eating before. Especially at first it seemed like I was always in the kitchen either preparing or cleaning up. It's a little better now that I've realized it doesn't take any longer to clean up after fixing a double batch of something but even so I wonder how people with jobs and kid manage. I stand in admiration of them.

On April 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Michelle Arthur said:

Just blew up butter in the microwave tying to make clarified butter! 

Simmer it in a pot, and then filter with coffee filter, works much better! Lots of youtube videos on how to do it also. Also trader joes (if you have those) has a compliant brand! 

Hi Everyone! So I also started April 1st! Day 21 here and WAS going strong. Have been very compliant, stuck to 3 meals, no snacking, meal prepping, etc. etc. The last 3 days I am crashing and burning :( My cravings are back, and I just needed to pull myself out of the almond butter!! HELP! Does anybody know why this is happening?

According to the daily email that I signed up for this is a common phenomenon called an "extinction burst", which is your brain's last ditch effort to get more of the things it was used to getting before you started this new eating habit. So be of good courage and hang in there. This won't last.

3 minutes ago, Alaska Woman said:

According to the daily email that I signed up for this is a common phenomenon called an "extinction burst", which is your brain's last ditch effort to get more of the things it was used to getting before you started this new eating habit. So be of good courage and hang in there. This won't last.

Thank you!! I am going to look more into that, hope it goes away!! Can be discouraging! 

1 minute ago, Alaska Woman said:

I've been reading a really interesting book by Charles Duhigg called The Power of Habit  that you might find helpful. He talks about ways to identify what triggers cravings and how to take alternative action rather than give in to them.

Yes! That really seems to be my problem! I know its a craving and I know the book says, 3 mins and it will go away. At the beginning, I was taking a walk, checking emails , drinking some "pretend" wine (seltzer water on ice), having hot tea.. lots of things the book recommended and I was breezing through those cravings. Turning down cake, and donuts in the break room, candy and coffee runs at 3pm. All those bad habits everyone else still has. I'd remind myself that it wasn't about food, or being bored or weight lose, etc., that I want and NEED to be a healthy person. And food is the most important thing! I was feeling so confident. 

Last few days, the cravings just don't go away, I drink hot tea and think OMG I need a banana! lol Almond butter is the only thing I have in my house that is remotely "no brakes", so I am craving good food- nuts and fruits mostly, but out of line with how my cravings were, they were completely gone. So, I think if I could figure out the actual trigger, then I would be better at pushing the cravings back to their dark hole!!! Thank you very much for your support!! I just knew I had to jump on here and give out my cry for help, 2 spoons of almond butter later, okay maybe 3! :) 

Day 20 for this one. There was a locally made, organic icecream food truck outside our building today for Employee Appreciation week. WTH. Local, organic creamy icecream made by a bunch of young ladies from SanFrancisco. Oh, and Tuesday was burgers and hotdogs (had a burger wrapped in lettuce), Weds was pizza, Thurs was sushi, and today organic icecream and donuts! And other co-workers repeating, 'Oh did you get your icecream? There's pizza in the breakroom. Have a donut!' OMG. At one point, a coworker kept repeating it rudely, even after I reminded her about Whole30, and I eventually snapped back ....'I KNOW!' 

It's ok though. I did fine. I was prepared! Body isn't craving like it was before. Moods are stabilizing, and my PMS isn't as bad as before.

So, WHole30 is work. It definitely takes time to shop, prep, and plan. Feels worth it though. Being single, and having leftovers, I try to get creative with making new meals out of foods Im growing tired of? (first world problems!) Here's a pic of some Mexican theme chunky soup I concocted with chicken thighs, leftover NY strip, and taco meat I froze 19 days ago. Threw in some cabbage, carrots, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno, old zucchini, lime. Ate this for 2 days, no problem. Always a few quarts of bone broth in the freezer!

Mex soup.JPG

Rotating food is important but since I am doing this solo, I eat the same thing , for the most part for breakfast  and most lunches. Now it is little boring but it helps if you are busy. I rely heavily on compliant sausage, sweet potatoes, avocados and triple washed lettuce.  I always have a big batch of soup available too. I eat a lot of tuna fish and eggs and salmon.

Don't worry about being a gourmet cook. It takes time to try recipes.

2 hours ago, amandapilk said:

Hi Everyone! So I also started April 1st! Day 21 here and WAS going strong. Have been very compliant, stuck to 3 meals, no snacking, meal prepping, etc. etc. The last 3 days I am crashing and burning :( My cravings are back, and I just needed to pull myself out of the almond butter!! HELP! Does anybody know why this is happening?

I was just talking to my Naturopath about this. She told me to increase my starches and water intake. So I did.. I have had a good portion of sweet potato or Yukon gold potato at every meal along with trying to drink half my body weight in water and it has helped a lot. 

She also told me that a lot of people never get the "tiger blood" that we are all waiting anxiously for. She said when she did whole30 it took her 4 months to actually start feeling really good.  She obviously didn't go into Whole30 with bad dietary habits either. So we just have to be positive and tweak some things so that we feel better and see what happens I guess. 

I can say I do notice weight loss for sure  and better bowel functions. I have learned that I can no longer eat raw veggies. Which is sad because I love a good salad. But if I do, my bowels just seize up. It's horrible.  

Its definitely been a learning experience. 

2 hours ago, amandapilk said:

Thank you!! I am going to look more into that, hope it goes away!! Can be discouraging! 

Yeah--I did that sort of thing a few days ago with fresh strawberries and raw cashews. Who even needs cake after that? Got through it, then a couple of days of funk, and now my energy has been pretty high 

I have made egg roll in a bowl, lots of red and green curry dishes with chicken and fresh veggies, taco salads, white chicken chili, baked chicken wings with buffalo sauce and ghee. I really like adapting my regular recipes and making them healthier. I have tried the adelles but they are so salty that I just can't do them anymore. I microwave bacon once in awhile and make homemade marinara with ground beef. For breakfast it's mostly eggs, eggs, eggs. I spice it up with hot sauce or salsa and add list of veggies such as mushrooms and peppers. The only problem I have is I can only cook when my toddler goes to bed and that becomes so tiring. I have to prep my lunch and make my dinner, clean the house up etc. By bedtime (11) if I am lucky I am so exhausted I just pass out. My energy lately is great through out the day and when I come home from work. No more crashing at 1 after lunch!! I am excited to see how the next week goes. 

12 hours ago, amandapilk said:

Simmer it in a pot, and then filter with coffee filter, works much better! Lots of youtube videos on how to do it also. Also trader joes (if you have those) has a compliant brand! 

You don't need to use cheese cloth? I would imagine that coffee filters are easier than cheesecloth.

11 hours ago, jklovey71 said:

Day 20 for this one. There was a locally made, organic icecream food truck outside our building today for Employee Appreciation week. WTH. Local, organic creamy icecream made by a bunch of young ladies from SanFrancisco. Oh, and Tuesday was burgers and hotdogs (had a burger wrapped in lettuce), Weds was pizza, Thurs was sushi, and today organic icecream and donuts! And other co-workers repeating, 'Oh did you get your icecream? There's pizza in the breakroom. Have a donut!' OMG. At one point, a coworker kept repeating it rudely, even after I reminded her about Whole30, and I eventually snapped back ....'I KNOW!' 

It's ok though. I did fine. I was prepared! Body isn't craving like it was before. Moods are stabilizing, and my PMS isn't as bad as before.

So, WHole30 is work. It definitely takes time to shop, prep, and plan. Feels worth it though. Being single, and having leftovers, I try to get creative with making new meals out of foods Im growing tired of? (first world problems!) Here's a pic of some Mexican theme chunky soup I concocted with chicken thighs, leftover NY strip, and taco meat I froze 19 days ago. Threw in some cabbage, carrots, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno, old zucchini, lime. Ate this for 2 days, no problem. Always a few quarts of bone broth in the freezer!

Mex soup.JPG

What is "old zucchini"?

Your soup looks really good.

12 hours ago, amandapilk said:

What kind are you looking for? From the cookbook? I have made tons I found online, some really good, if you just want some general ideas.

Yes, general ideas, I have all the books for Whole30. I get overwhelmed with a lot of information. I like to hear what other people have made.

I can't believe it's going so fast!   I've been feeling much clearer and balanced.  The weird thing is I have a headache every morning when I wake up, but it does go away - so not a big issue.   I just discovered my own little coffee hack:  Chinese Five Spice Blend.   I put in a few dashes along with some coconut milk and it's great :) 

12 hours ago, jklovey71 said:

Mex soup.JPG

That looks amazing!

My daughter is coming home from college next week and was cleaning her room when I found a little dish of MnM's. started to reach for a few and stopped myself! Our kids are grown or in college and with hubby doing the whole30 as well none of that stuff is around. Scary how mindlessly I reached for those! A definite habit to break...yikes!

Archived