April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

I am starting my first whole30 today. 

I've spent the last few weeks preparing and am ready to get started already! Remind me I said that on Tuesday ;)

Supportive but not participating family. Very grateful to have this forum. 

Have a great day one all!!!

- Sarah

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Scolvin2303 said:

Good morning! It is the morning of day 1 and it is time for breakfast. Which brings me to my first small worry...I don't like eggs but loooove breakfast foods. Oatmeal, bagels, donuts...ahh ok! I got this. I'm going to try an egg casserole and hope I like it since it is full of things other than eggs! Other than that, this is my first Whole30 and I want to use it to jump start healthy eating before summer, get rid of my sugar dragon, and possibly lose a few pounds. I've done a gluten free diet for a year as well as vegetarian awhile back but nothing has stuck or made any impactful changes. I'm so nervous but excited to start this journey! 

If you don't like eggs, you don't have to have eggs. You can have anything for your first meal of the day you can have for any other meal.

Try making sausage (I start with this recipe, omit the sugar, and I cut way back on the pepper flakes and cayenne because I prefer less spicy), these salmon cakes, or even just burger patties or meatballs seasoned in whatever way you want. For vegetables, try some soup like this one or this one, or do something like this broccoli salad or this beet salad or this paleo "tabbouleh." Any of these options can be made up ahead of time and keep for several days, so you're not having to cook every morning for breakfast. 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, bethross said:

Is Mel's meal plan on this thread?

I'm guessing she means one of the plans you can find here -- just scroll down the page, there are four weeks' worth. There are lots of other helpful articles on that page, some specifically Whole30, and some more for life after Whole30, and most of the recipes on the site are Whole30 or easily modified to be.

Today's the day...jumping right in so I spent yesterday chowing down on wine, cheese & takeout:D

Would love to follow along with this group of committed peeps to have some support, I'm doing this on my own - with support from family but would love to have the online group to reach out to!  

Good luck to everyone!  We got this!

Heather:)

On 3/30/2017 at 6:06 PM, Tara A. said:

Hello everyone! Joining for the April 1 start. I want to do a Whole60 this time, so will be going till June.  I am a 38 y.o. woman living in the Northwest.

I did a Whole30 with friends last year, in August, and felt great, lost weight (about 13 lbs), gained energy, etc. However the results didn't end up sticking long term for a number a reasons. Making a Whole60 commitment this time as I read that it takes 8 weeks to change habits, so want to give myself a chance to have those sync in. :) My friends are not doing it with me this time, and that's a shame because I found community support to be a big success factor last year. Hope to find (and provide!) similar support here!

I experimented with paleo challenges and lifestyle even before discovering Whole30, and know for fact and not from some book that  it's the best for me, the trick is to actually stick with it. So... basically using these 2 months as a way to jumpstart a long term lifestyle change, which will involve 80/20 paleo and regular workouts.

Will make sure to make it to Trader Joe's around Friday and get salads, cauliflower rice, sweet potato pasta, etc. :)  Excited to start!

Tara,

Welcome to the group! I commend you on the Whole60! I decided that I will see how it goes on day 30 and make my decision then to either stay on the Whole or slowly transition.  Either way, my immediate goal is one day at a time, one bite at a time. 

Diane

32 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

I'm guessing she means one of the plans you can find here -- just scroll down the page, there are four weeks' worth. There are lots of other helpful articles on that page, some specifically Whole30, and some more for life after Whole30, and most of the recipes on the site are Whole30 or easily modified to be.

Thank you!!

I'm on board for my 2nd Whole30. Glad to join this support group. This time I want to add a bit more variety to what I eat. While I managed to get through the last Whole30, I really felt I could benefit from more taste and texture variety. 

Felt I got through the hump of cooking. Sundays are the days for bulk cooking and separating meals out for the week. I've got that habit down now. 

Good luck everyone! 

4 hours ago, Scolvin2303 said:

Good morning! It is the morning of day 1 and it is time for breakfast. Which brings me to my first small worry...I don't like eggs but loooove breakfast foods. Oatmeal, bagels, donuts...ahh ok! I got this. I'm going to try an egg casserole and hope I like it since it is full of things other than eggs! Other than that, this is my first Whole30 and I want to use it to jump start healthy eating before summer, get rid of my sugar dragon, and possibly lose a few pounds. I've done a gluten free diet for a year as well as vegetarian awhile back but nothing has stuck or made any impactful changes. I'm so nervous but excited to start this journey! 

I totally burned out on eggs during my first w30- can't eat 'em any more.  For breakfast I just have some kind of meat and veg with either avocado or some oil for fat.  This morning breakfast was butternut squash soup with bacon and extra bacon fat.  Not a great protein choice, but I still need to go shopping.

On 3/30/2017 at 5:37 PM, Kaylakat said:

I feel much more confident now! I downloaded much needed grocery lists etc. on the site. Tonight is the night to purge my kitchen.... not sure how I feel about that but I do know that my coworkers will enjoy my goodies:rolleyes: 

Is anyone else ridding their fridges of non whole 30 foods?

Kaylakat,

I purge my frig and pantry - taking 3 bags to the food bank!  There was sugar in my chicken broth! And my beloved Morton's Nature Season's had sugar as the second ingredient. I am finding all the hidden sugar . . . .

An empty frig showed I needed to clean it. But now all full for the Whole 30!

Diane

Hello, day one here too!  It's my first, but I eat pretty well anyway and have the book already.....I will really miss alcohol though....that's going to be hard socially.  I also am worried about having ENOUGH to eat, if I don't cook beforehand.  I work full time, twelve hr night shifts at the hospital so that's a lot of food to pack.  I need a cuter lunchbox!  So I just prepped some protein and vegetables and feel great about it, breakfast was two eggs fried over roasted carrots and potatoes and black coffee.  Sad little black coffee.  Good luck y'all!  Let's do this!  

My biggest NSV hope is to gain energy and stop being lazy.  Each day I am going to decide on something to do to avoid eating that I wouldn't always be up for otherwise. Today I let the kids play in the yard while I did some work, and after nap we are going to wash the car.  These are things I have to do anyway and am trying to gain discipline in doing more often. 

Hi everyone! 

I am starting Whole 30 today as well! I am so glad to have found this feed. I was recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance, GERD and IBS. I have been feeling pretty crummy for the past 3 months and am really hoping this will help me in so many ways! My fiance is currently deployed so this is the perfect time for me to focus on myself. Looking forward to journeying these 30 days with all of you! 

Best wishes,

Chelsea

1 hour ago, DianeD said:

Kaylakat,

I purge my frig and pantry - taking 3 bags to the food bank!  There was sugar in my chicken broth! And my beloved Morton's Nature Season's had sugar as the second ingredient. I am finding all the hidden sugar . . . .

An empty frig showed I needed to clean it. But now all full for the Whole 30!

Diane

I have my spot for my food. 

My family is not participating but I think they will like the meals

It's nice to see there are so many people starting today :)   This is my first Whole 30 and I'm really excited and a bit nervous as well.   Under stress I've turned to food and booze as my escapes and that has left me lethargic and unhappy.  Right now I weigh more than I ever have in my life and need to make a real change.   I'm in my early 50's and now is going to set the tone for the next part of my life.  I got the book Thursday and read enough to get going.  I figure I'll go through the rest as the month goes by.  I could really go for wine, whiskey, or beer, but I can hold out until May 1 :P   I did the first round of shopping today and the surprise I got was just how much stuff has sugar in it!   Everything for soup to ketchup.  Made burgers for my son and I and couldn't find a topping without sugar, so I went with a whole 30 compliant salsa.   It was actually really good.  I'm doing this solo, but my family is at least on board with the fact that I need to change.  My wife's not going to do the program, but is going to try to make some of the recommended changes.  

Good luck everyone !!!  

I started yesterday! First time for me. Going through a divorce so no hubby to steer me off track. I will have temptations with my kids food though, but I am very motivated to stick with it. I figured this was a perfect time in my life for a complete reset! I will miss my wine though. ;)

I made the roasted sweet potatoes; much better than just baking them.  Turkey burgers from Farm to Family by Butterball.

My son asked me to get breakfast sausages for him. I am going to make the sausage recipe in the Whole30 book.

I still let my emotions get to me; I grazed on pistachios for a few minutes.

one day at a time

On 3/29/2017 at 4:04 PM, DianeD said:

HI LB345!  

I am starting April 1st, too!  :rolleyes: This is my first Whole 30. I spent today cleaning out the refrigerator and pantry - it is looking pretty sparse! I live with a husband who does not intend to do Whole 30, but he said he would be supportive.  So here goes! 

Saying goodbye to wine, chocolate and cheese, ~sniff~ will not be easy, But as I read, This. Is. Not. Hard.  And I figure I can do anything for 30 days. Heck, Lent is not even that long! I am willing to keep in touch and share encouragement. As you have done this before, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Diane

Diane..how is your first day?  I'm just finishing the 10th day.  It's really not that bad.   My hubby is not following it either however his eating habits are changing fir the better because at home he is eating what I'm eating :)

Cindy 

First day down!  I think it went well.  Had a couple of snacks, but am planning to phase them out from doing six small meals a day before.  They were actual tiny snacks, though, not mini meals  I can see the adjustment being ok!  

Any newbies getting carb flu?  Any tips for handling it?  Haven't got it yet and am praying I will avoid it!

PS: Sorry for the odd post above--wouldn't let me delete a quote from earlier. 

2 hours ago, bethross said:

I made the roasted sweet potatoes; much better than just baking them.  Turkey burgers from Farm to Family by Butterball.

My son asked me to get breakfast sausages for him. I am going to make the sausage recipe in the Whole30 book.

I still let my emotions get to me; I grazed on pistachios for a few minutes.

one day at a time

The sausage recipe does not taste like breakfast sausages that my son likes. I thought they were tasty; I will enjoy them.

Archived