April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

Bought a CSA box of produce as encouragement to eat veggies, and it included a bunch of spinach, which reminded me of a side dish I used to eat at a favorite japanese restaurant. Gomae: braised spinach with sesame paste (toasted sesame, mirin, rice vinegar, coconut aminos as a soy subsitute). So delicious.  

Gomae.JPG

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Mirin has a low level of alcohol in it and thus is not compliant.  Switch out a bit more rice vinegar for the mirin next time :)  That looks delicious tho!

This brings up a question I've had for the process:  kombucha is allowed but has trace amounts of alcohol in it, too. Why are things like cooking alcohol and vanilla out when kombucha is in?  I actually can get a light buzz off of GT'S even when refrigerated. 

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, IndustriousJoy said:

This brings up a question I've had for the process:  kombucha is allowed but has trace amounts of alcohol in it, too. Why are things like cooking alcohol and vanilla out when kombucha is in?  I actually can get a light buzz off of GT'S even when refrigerated. 

Kombucha has health benefits that outweight the possibility of alcohol (there are the GT's that are regulated in the states and they have brands that are not, which means lower possible alcohol content... you may want to try the Enlighten line if the buzz bugs you).  There are no known health benefits with vanilla and cooking alcohol which are also much higher in alcohol content than KT.

There's a great thread discussing this from a couple years ago... all the info is still relevant so it might be of interest to you.

1 hour ago, IndustriousJoy said:

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Mirin has a low level of alcohol in it and thus is not compliant.  Switch out a bit more rice vinegar for the mirin next time :)  That looks delicious tho!

ARgh! I knew I was toeing the line with the mirin. Fortunately, it was a minor amount (1/2t) and, like you said, a bit more rice vinegar would be fine. Thanks for the feedback :)

17 minutes ago, Michelle Arthur said:

Just blew up butter in the microwave tying to make clarified butter! 

Ouch!   I bought some Ghee from our local Mrs. Greens (Whole Foods like) supermarket.   It's been working out great.  The one thing is that it's found near the cooking oils and not in the refrigerated section.  Even after opening, it just needs to be stored in a cool dark place.   I'd recommend giving that a shot :)

Today I took the kids to the zoo and we had an awesome time.  I looked around and was the only one eating a salad rather than something with french fries.   It felt good that I was able to not feel tempted by the other foods.  I brought a bunch of carrots in a ziplock bag and a paleo beef stick I got on Amazon (couldn't find any offline that did'nt have sugar).  I thought the thing I would miss was beer and wine, but it turns out it's popcorn.   They have lots of popcorn stands and it smelled so good, but I just let myself enjoy the aroma without the calories and guilt.   I'm looking forward to having some after the 30 :)

One change I've got to make is less nuts.  I haven't been eating that many - a handful or two a day, but I think I'm going to switch over to carrots for that crunchy feeling. 

My son is my unofficial Whole 30 buddy.  He'll eat anything with meat in it and it's been great to share with him.  This morning I diced up two apples, put some cinnamon on them and microwaved them for 90 seconds.   I browned a pound of ground pork and added fennel seed, Tony CHachere's Creole seasoning, some salt and pepper and rosemary/garlic infused olive oil.  It was delicious and I still have a bunch left over for breakfasts during the week.  

For dinner I made the "Slow Cooker Cheater Pork Stew"  from Nom Nom Paleo.  https://is.gd/GRf6YH   I didn't have fish sauce so that was omitted and I used Goya Adobo.   It came out awesome - again a bunch of leftovers for the week.   

Today was the first day I didn't have a headache - I think that's a good sign.

Let's keep doing this!! 

Hey all! 

Im new to the forum and on day 9. I completed 30 days then went to reintroduction. I did three days and then ate about half a pizza. Suffered for 3 days with a terrible and very intense migraine. I spent march eating fairly compliant but the week before I started I ate a ton of non compliant food. 

I don't recall feeling this terrible the last time. I'm miserable. I started back at yoga (hot) since my last whole 30. I couldn't even make it through class yesterday. I feel bloated, unwell and tired. Aches and gas all day. I don't know what to eat that's easy on the stomach. Any suggestions? 

I should add that my reason for whole30 is I have terrible headaches everyday and back/hip/neck pain. I have had CT scans, MRI, X-ray and no idea what's causing the pain. So here I am! Last time I felt MUCH better. Less headaches and pain. I'm turning 30 this year and want to feel better than what I have been.

I hopeni start to feel better. Monday-Thursday I had diarrhea every morning. Ugh. 

Hope everyone one is doing great! :)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Michelle Arthur said:

Uh ya... I've never heard of someone making ghee in the micro.. too hot, too hard to control and it doesn't heat evenly... yikes!  Sorry you have to clean that up now.  Google for a stove top recipe... much safer, lower temps, easier, less cleanup ;)

• Moderators
2 hours ago, zork2112 said:

Today I took the kids to the zoo and we had an awesome time.  I looked around and was the only one eating a salad rather than something with french fries.   It felt good that I was able to not feel tempted by the other foods.  I brought a bunch of carrots in a ziplock bag and a paleo beef stick I got on Amazon (couldn't find any offline that did'nt have sugar).  I thought the thing I would miss was beer and wine, but it turns out it's popcorn.   They have lots of popcorn stands and it smelled so good, but I just let myself enjoy the aroma without the calories and guilt.   I'm looking forward to having some after the 30 :)

One change I've got to make is less nuts.  I haven't been eating that many - a handful or two a day, but I think I'm going to switch over to carrots for that crunchy feeling. 

My son is my unofficial Whole 30 buddy.  He'll eat anything with meat in it and it's been great to share with him.  This morning I diced up two apples, put some cinnamon on them and microwaved them for 90 seconds.   I browned a pound of ground pork and added fennel seed, Tony CHachere's Creole seasoning, some salt and pepper and rosemary/garlic infused olive oil.  It was delicious and I still have a bunch left over for breakfasts during the week.  

For dinner I made the "Slow Cooker Cheater Pork Stew"  from Nom Nom Paleo.  https://is.gd/GRf6YH   I didn't have fish sauce so that was omitted and I used Goya Adobo.   It came out awesome - again a bunch of leftovers for the week.   

Today was the first day I didn't have a headache - I think that's a good sign.

Let's keep doing this!! 

In my opinion, the popcorn never tastes as good as the amazing smell so you really got the best of that world without the stomach ache, bloating and having to start over!

2 hours ago, NanSea said:

Hey all! 

Im new to the forum and on day 9. I completed 30 days then went to reintroduction. I did three days and then ate about half a pizza. Suffered for 3 days with a terrible and very intense migraine. I spent march eating fairly compliant but the week before I started I ate a ton of non compliant food. 

I don't recall feeling this terrible the last time. I'm miserable. I started back at yoga (hot) since my last whole 30. I couldn't even make it through class yesterday. I feel bloated, unwell and tired. Aches and gas all day. I don't know what to eat that's easy on the stomach. Any suggestions? 

I should add that my reason for whole30 is I have terrible headaches everyday and back/hip/neck pain. I have had CT scans, MRI, X-ray and no idea what's causing the pain. So here I am! Last time I felt MUCH better. Less headaches and pain. I'm turning 30 this year and want to feel better than what I have been.

I hopeni start to feel better. Monday-Thursday I had diarrhea every morning. Ugh. 

Hope everyone one is doing great! :)

Lots of us had/have the same issues with feeling bad. Read through the April 1 forum and you won't feel alone!

Starting on Day 7 was when the badness stopped and I got a taste of feeling awesome. So hang in there, you'll get there too! :)

12 hours ago, NanSea said:

I feel bloated, unwell and tired. Aches and gas all day.

Could be that you're over-loading on a particular food or foods - can you give us a quick run down of your meals, being specific on veg types? ie. Don't just say 'roasted veg' or 'huge salad' - we need to know what types of veg you're eating...

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Could be that you're over-loading on a particular food or foods - can you give us a quick run down of your meals, being specific on veg types? ie. Don't just say 'roasted veg' or 'huge salad' - we need to know what types of veg you're eating...

My breakfast had been a quiche made with sausage, potatoes, eggs, onions and peppers. My lunch is usually leftovers of meat (beef or chicken) with white potatoes and either broccoli or carrots and either a banana, orange or grapes. Supper has mostly been meat, potatoes and veggies (which I end up having for lunch the next day. I have also made egg roll in a bowl, spicy buffalo wings, egg free ranch sauce (which I dip my carrots and hot wings in). 

Now that I write it down maybe I'm not getting enough fat? I have dipped my bananas in almond butter and I use ghee when I make mashed potatoes but that's not everyday... 

hopefully you folks have some advice. I'm just up and going to start with a breakfast or soft boiled eggs, leftover potatoes made into patties and some broccoli. And my half banana... 

thanks in advance! And thanks for the support 

Nance

7 minutes ago, NanSea said:

maybe I'm not getting enough fat?

Lack of fat isn't really going to cause gas, aches & bloating, although you DO look light on fat anyways.

Sounds like you're eating a lot of white potatoes which could be responsible for the aches & tiredness - I'd cut back on those for a few days & see how you go.

Bloating/gas could be caused by the onions/broccoli & even the banana.

Over exposure of ANY food can cause gastric (& other) symptoms so it's good to mix things up as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Lack of fat isn't really going to cause gas, aches & bloating, although you DO look light on fat anyways.

Sounds like you're eating a lot of white potatoes which could be responsible for the aches & tiredness - I'd cut back on those for a few days & see how you go.

Bloating/gas could be caused by the onions/broccoli & even the banana.

Over exposure of ANY food can cause gastric (& other) symptoms so it's good to mix things up as much as possible.

Thanks! I'm going to switch it up and try to get more of a variety of veggies today! Definitely going to lay off the potatoe as well. It makes sense what you're saying. Hopefully it helps! 

I start a new position this week for 4 months and it's an office job. I am usually out "in the field" daily which makes it hard for meals and you can understand. Hopefully by being in an office setting it will be easier for meal prep. 

Now I'll have the problems many people have... avoiding the candy dishes and cakes in the staff rooms. Yikes! Looking forward to sharing my journey and following all of yours!

12 hours ago, Michelle Arthur said:

Oh my!  I have made clarifed butter by SLOWLY heating it on the stove and skimming the milk protein off of it.  I think it has to do with the heat chemical reaction of separating the parts so it needs to be done slowly as compared to full out nuking it in a microwave.

While I did make the homemade mayo, I opted to purchase one jar of ghee (Whole30 compliant) as a trade off for the time.  Gotta make choices.

Diane

So, I made it through another challenge - friend's birthday party. I called ahead and asked what was being served (wife know I was on Whole30 - her son has done it). She had protein - grilled chicken and smoked brisket, that I think was okay. I did bring my own fresh veggies and had about a third cup of the fruit salad. No wine! I just put my water in a wine glass!

I spent Sunday cleaning our boat and my husband offered to take me out to dinner to restaurant A. I said no, Then he offered restaurant B. I said no. So we went home and had a Whole30 compliant dinner. I had made a pork chop recipe with 3 left over pork chops (now individually frozen) so pulled one of them to eat. Did frozen broccoli with a bit of ghee and voila! a Whole30 compliant, quick dinner. Maybe not as exotic as some meals, but quick was the key. I even packed a lunch to have while at the boat.

Today was the first morning in 43 days I did not wake with a headache. YEAH! But I still struggle getting that half ounce per pound of water in. I just might need to do some chugging!

This morning it is back to work and tonight a grocery run to get fresh veggies in the fridge. 

I've come to day 10, but I think this will have to be my last day with whole30. I had a strong allergic reaction at lunch at work today (I had sardines in olive oil, snack cucumbers and pear, so I think it might have been the pear or pesticides since it wasn't organic fruit or vegetables this time). The ambulance had to come and take me to the hospital for observation. They also found very low blood levels and low iron levels, so I will have to do a gastroscopia and colonoscopia. They have given me laxatives and a Nutridrink I haven't opened yet, but they recommended me to drink that as I can not have any solid food until tomorrow. I was also given a glass of apple juice without added sugar and a cup of black coffee. I don't know if it's wise keeping on track with the Whole30 in this state? Cheers to all April whole 30ers, you are doing great :)

9 minutes ago, aprivero87 said:

I've come to day 10, but I think this will have to be my last day with whole30. I had a strong allergic reaction at lunch at work today (I had sardines in olive oil, snack cucumbers and pear, so I think it might have been the pear or pesticides since it wasn't organic fruit or vegetables this time). The ambulance had to come and take me to the hospital for observation. They also found very low blood levels and low iron levels, so I will have to do a gastroscopia and colonoscopia. They have given me laxatives and a Nutridrink I haven't opened yet, but they recommended me to drink that as I can not have any solid food until tomorrow. I was also given a glass of apple juice without added sugar and a cup of black coffee. I don't know if it's wise keeping on track with the Whole30 in this state? Cheers to all April whole 30ers, you are doing great :)

So sorry about the ?allergic reaction. I am sure it must have been scary. Follow the medical orders to prep for your tests. Once all the tests are done, have a talk with your physician. I know there is a link in the While30 book about how to talk to your physician about Whole 30. Review why you decided to do the Whole30. Then decide whether to start the Whole30 again. Take it one day at a time.

3 hours ago, aprivero87 said:

Probably not--sorry to hear you have been hospitalized for an allergy!  Hang in there!

4 hours ago, aprivero87 said:

So sorry to hear about your allergic reaction & subsequent hospitalisation. It's unlikely the low blood/iron levels are a result of 10 days on Whole30. You'll definitely want to have everything checked out to see what the underlying cause was so I'd say do the best you can for your long term health right now under the circumstances and then come back to Whole30 when you're feeling better and have some answers.

Hoping you feel better soon....

Day 10:  Not feeling like I want to give up at all!  I like eating this way!  Tonight my mom took the kids and I out to Chick fila for dinner. I didn't get anything but brought some GT'S, dried fruit, nuts and carrots to have. They are so right--that stuff is not satiating. So now I'm having a late meal of avacado, taco meat and tomatoes.  I have accepted that for the goals I have I will not be ending at 30 days--looking more at 45 to 60.   This first 10 days feels so much like a learning experience even though I've eaten only compliant things. Some have been off the template or eaten too frequently (ahem, nuts).  

Finishing up on day 9. Sleeping hard. Drinking more water. Today I only had one small snack in the middle of a bike ride. Feeling the groove of preparing food, and eating at an even pace. Haven't turned into a magical unicorn or anything, but I see small shifts in attitude . Perhaps sugar=irritability. Looking ahead to the Reintroduction phase. Very curious about the outcomes, especially non-gluten and gluten grains, and alcohol. Onwards!

Archived