April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

7 hours ago, Alaska Woman said:

Please don't hate me, but I have to say I haven't been bored at all and in fact have never truly enjoyed what I was eating as much as I have these past few weeks. And I really haven't been yearning for anything in particular from my former life. I may be heading for a rude awakening down the road, but so far so good, as the guy falling from the 100 story building said as he passed the 50th floor!

I am with you Alaska!! I have never enjoyed the taste of food as much as now. I am going to make more recipes out of the cookbook.

Have a great day!!!!

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/29/2017 at 1:53 PM, LB345 said:

Hi all!

I am starting the Whole30 April 1st and I am looking for some support buddies to help me through the process.... especially skipping my nightly glass of wine! Oh wine... I will miss you... and chocolate....sweet chocolate....and cheese, my dear friend cheese! ;)

I have complete the Whole30 before and felt AMAZING. But it all went wrong afterwards. Let's just say I went straight passed the re-introduction phase to the eat all the pies phase and have been going downhill at an astounding rate! Definitely need a re-set! 

Would love to have some people to touch base with on a regular basis, so we can encourage each other and share tips and advice. 

Who's with me? 

LB345 :)

Thank you so much for creating this group!!!

DAY 27 GUYS! We have almost made it! So proud of everyone! I wanted to clarify something and I think I already know the answer. ;P If I am going for a Whole45...should I wait until day 45 to step on the scale and take "after photos?" I am itching to see how much weight I have lost! I feel SO good and my clothing is feeling looser. My coworkers are also commenting on how thin I look. Woo! But, I know it is not all about weight loss, so let me focus on a non-scale victory next. For the past 7 years I have suffered from anxiety, particularly before bedtime. The thought of going to sleep gives me anxiety! Will I get enough sleep? Will I ever fall asleep? Cue the panic attack. I had a goal before starting the Whole30 to begin to wean off of my xanax medication before bed. The Whole30 is helping me accomplish this goal! I have been able to gradually decrease my medicine without the anxiety I thought I would and I am falling asleep SO much easier. I am so thankful for this! 

1 hour ago, Scolvin2303 said:

DAY 27 GUYS! We have almost made it! So proud of everyone! I wanted to clarify something and I think I already know the answer. ;P If I am going for a Whole45...should I wait until day 45 to step on the scale and take "after photos?" I am itching to see how much weight I have lost! I feel SO good and my clothing is feeling looser. My coworkers are also commenting on how thin I look. Woo! But, I know it is not all about weight loss, so let me focus on a non-scale victory next. For the past 7 years I have suffered from anxiety, particularly before bedtime. The thought of going to sleep gives me anxiety! Will I get enough sleep? Will I ever fall asleep? Cue the panic attack. I had a goal before starting the Whole30 to begin to wean off of my xanax medication before bed. The Whole30 is helping me accomplish this goal! I have been able to gradually decrease my medicine without the anxiety I thought I would and I am falling asleep SO much easier. I am so thankful for this! 

That is AWESOME! I am so impressed that you've had the courage to wean yourself off that stuff! (I've had to do it with two different highly addictive meds so I totally get how scary it is.) Whole30 has def helped me with my issues too. Funny how what we put in our bodies affects us! ;) 

As for the scale issue, I'm the one who broke that rule on Day 20 and it motivated me to continue rather than give up, so it was the right decision for me. Obviously a moderator may say differently, but I say it's your call. You've abided by the 30 day no scale rule, so no one can shame you there. Maybe think about what your purpose for getting on would be, and how you imagine it will affect you. It's great that you know your body has changed, from how clothes fit to losing your nighttime anxiety...the latter being the most important one. Let us know what you decide! 

12 hours ago, Alaska Woman said:

Please don't hate me, but I have to say I haven't been bored at all and in fact have never truly enjoyed what I was eating as much as I have these past few weeks. And I really haven't been yearning for anything in particular from my former life. I may be heading for a rude awakening down the road, but so far so good, as the guy falling from the 100 story building said as he passed the 50th floor!

That's a good thing!  I didn't expect to get bored this late in the game. The reality that what I'm eating now should pretty much be what I always eat with a few treats thrown in is setting in hard. I don't really miss anything except corn--I really miss not thinking so much about what I eat!  That's what got me here in some ways, though. This really is the tip of the iceberg. Learning to live a new life of more meal prep and planning is kind of hard.

3 hours ago, Scolvin2303 said:

I had a goal before starting the Whole30 to begin to wean off of my xanax medication before bed. The Whole30 is helping me accomplish this goal! I have been able to gradually decrease my medicine without the anxiety I thought I would and I am falling asleep SO much easier. I am so thankful for this! 

Great news!  I hope this process continues for you!

31 minutes ago, IndustriousJoy said:

That's a good thing!  I didn't expect to get bored this late in the game. The reality that what I'm eating now should pretty much be what I always eat with a few treats thrown in is setting in hard. I don't really miss anything except corn--I really miss not thinking so much about what I eat!  That's what got me here in some ways, though. This really is the tip of the iceberg. Learning to live a new life of more meal prep and planning is kind of hard.

I think the trick here is to take a page from AA and not think about the long haul but rather just one day at a time. I actually think a lot about what I eat these days- both in terms of planning what I'll cook and savoring the textures, aromas and tastes of what I'm eating. For me, I think the extra time planning and prepping meals is a kind of substitute for eating between meals when I'm missing an afternoon or evening snack.

On 4/26/2017 at 8:40 PM, IndustriousJoy said:

I agree with the food boredom. It's pretty meh right now.  I'm thinking about what I have actually missed, and I would say corn (taco shells, tortillas, popcorn) tops the list. I can't think of anything that I really missed that much besides that.  

I am in the same boat! So bored with food! I don't want to see another sweet potato as long as I live. Lol I feel like a robot at meals... "just get it down  and be done" lol 

I too am really just missing tortillas (chips, shells etc) I would also like just one slice of pizza. I am happy to say that sugar is not something I'm wanting. 

One thing I noticed during this process is that coffee/caffeine has really thrown me off since I reintroduced it at Easter.  That and dark chocolate are two things I consume way too much of (though chocolate was obviously out this month), and both of them have given me blood sugar dips in the past.  I think that some of my results have been tainted or stalled due to having coffee the last couple of weeks despite adhering to the food list otherwise.  Sheesh.  Today I am super bloated, and my facial dermatitis flared a bit.  It is so, so hard to say that I need to cut coffee and caffeine out as a general rule.  Not happy.  I'm going to spend the next couple of days phasing it back out, and then only have coffee and dark chocolate when it is "special," not just to get through the day.  Unfortunately I've probably had coffee back long enough to get the dreaded headache...

2 more days!! I only joined the group recently when I had a craving mishap! Nothing was helping me through but this forum AND everyone's encouragement, ideas and to know we all were having some similar experiences! My boyfriend and I did it together and we had some tough days and some hard talks, but here we are, going stronger than ever, eating better and feeling amazing! We have more energy, we have stopped taking some of our regular medications, and overall feel so much better!  Neither one of us weighted ourselves beforehand (although I think we have a good idea what we weighed), but we are fitting in to clothes that haven't fit in over a year, and everyone around us is noticing a difference, ADDED BONUS!

I am very proud of everyone of us who has battled through this, enjoyed it, tried some new foods, hunted down a "compliant" food, read more ingredient labels in 28 days than you have ever read (unless your a repeat whole30'er). I hope everyone feels like I feel, this isn't the end but an amazing beginning! A new outlook on food, dieting and changing my overall general health for the better. I have learned so much from reading Melissa's books and trying her recipes, and I feel proud and confident that I am feeding my family nutrients that will last a lifetime! 

Good luck with your reintroductions! 

On April 27, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Scolvin2303 said:

That is awesome!!! Congrats! As far as weighing yourself I think if the number might hinder your "spirit" then you may want to wait. I have definitely lost weigh too, but for me fitting into a pair of jeans I couldn't wear a month ago really sealed the deal for me! I was so thrilled to be able to wear them again. But surprisingly it didn't really provide me any encouragement to continue with my meal plan or anything like that. LOL But I think you have put in the work and the time! If you want to know, you should do it! Or wait. Lol

4 hours ago, IndustriousJoy said:

One thing I noticed during this process is that coffee/caffeine has really thrown me off since I reintroduced it at Easter.  That and dark chocolate are two things I consume way too much of (though chocolate was obviously out this month), and both of them have given me blood sugar dips in the past.  I think that some of my results have been tainted or stalled due to having coffee the last couple of weeks despite adhering to the food list otherwise.  Sheesh.  Today I am super bloated, and my facial dermatitis flared a bit.  It is so, so hard to say that I need to cut coffee and caffeine out as a general rule.  Not happy.  I'm going to spend the next couple of days phasing it back out, and then only have coffee and dark chocolate when it is "special," not just to get through the day.  Unfortunately I've probably had coffee back long enough to get the dreaded headache...

Can you do hot tea instead, or maybe chai?

On April 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Michelle Arthur said:

I will be continuing.  Just saw a functional health dr for some intestinal and autoimmune issues. I had scheduled this appt prior to the whole30. Much of my intestinal problems have already resolved on the diet but I need some tweeking. Found out I have a yeast issue as well as high sulfa. So eggs are now out for me as well.  Will be having lab work and sending in a sample of my stool. Yay!  So thankful for dr like this.  He was very pleased with my whole30 and said I am on the right track.  Just need a little extra help with some of the detox.

Eliminating is hard to do! Good job for recognizing and committing to removing eggs! I am not doing nightshades, they really bother me. 

20 hours ago, IndustriousJoy said:

Hear you on the coffee! It seems to upset my gi track so I switched to caffeinated green tea which has 25 to 50 percent less  caffeine than coffee for a few days then to decafeinated green tea and actually like it just as well as coffee. I put a slice of lemon in and it's nice and warm like the coffee. Hope this might help you.

Congrats to everyone on making it to Day 30. I've certainly learned a lot about myself and the mindless habits I had (eating food in break room, using sugary foods as "treats", etc.)  I feel great, very calm and able to withstand even the stormiest days that life may offer.  I've picked up some great habits on reading labels (it's shocking how many places sugar and artificial ingredients lurk), and tried several new recipes (even roasted a beet for the first time in my life!).  I agree with others who say that they are enjoying food more than ever. I find now that a handful of blueberries can be as satisfying as a handful of jellybeans (Easter was right in the middle of this Whole 30).  I'm debating carrying on another 15-30 days but missing hummus, greek yogurt, chia seeds, homemade granola.  Am studying the "reintroduction guide" and hope to introduce foods slowly and make informed decisions.  Overall, my Whole 30 experience was transformational!  Thanks for sharing the journey with me, and providing your support and encouragement along the way.

So I've decided instead of continuing, to do my own version of a slow-roll reintroduction. I did the Whole30 to find my digestive demons and I'm worried I'll eventually run out of steam and not do a proper re-intro if I continue. Just like Whole30 planning, I'm taking this very seriously and coming into the last part of the game prepared. Here's my plan, ordered from least likely, to most likely culprits. I already know dairy is a problem for me, so it won't be coming back into my life

Day 31: Non-gluten, non corn grains: Oats, rice and quinoa!

Day 34: Soy: Soy sauce, edamame, tofu

Day 37: Legumes: Peanut butter & black beans

Day 40: Corn

Day 43: Gluten: BREAD (*stars in eyes*)

This should land me with an extra 15 days of work - just in time for my boyfriend to return from his business trip to find a healthier partner! I think he was getting really worn down with my constant pain almost as much as I was!

Are you all planning a different type of menu for the coming week? What do your reintro schedules look like?

Day 28! Tuesday is the beginning of reintroduction phase. I HAVE to remember : NO FOOD COMBINING. My magical thinking was to introduce legumes: black beans and peanut butter. But I really want beans and chips, or with rice. Defeats the purpose to getting down to causes. So it'll have to be peanut butter with an apple, and black beans with carmelized onions, peppers. Just talked myself into it!  

Saturday I plan on reintroducing alcohol with gluten...beer! homebrewers event this coming weekend, and I am a participant. Should I stick to beer only i(n moderation, of course)? Or would it be ok to eat other gluten products along with the beer, like a burger on a bun?   IDK! 

Whole30 has been awesome. Coworkers have said my skin looks good, and and I've lost a few pounds. Clothes are looser, for sure. Sleeping soundly. At first, making meals was labourous (+ anxiety of me failing didn't help), but I found that having a prep day is a lifesaver, and it takes an enormous amount of pressure off. I can reach in the frig and, oh! a hardboiled egg is in there, or dang, there's some defrosted chicken thighs, and salad-spun kale I can throw in a saute pan, or hot damn! left over chicken hash for breakfast. I was 99% prepared, and the other 1% I got through but never forgot that prepping is #1!

The other best idea was clearing my cabinets and refrigerator with only compliant foods. Takes the guess work out.

Needed snacks on this. No shame. My days are LONG. Epic bars, HB eggs, fermented veggies, macadamia nuts. Life savers. (Mac nuts were more like crack-nuts. I bought one can and that was it! Too addictive.)  Did I cheat? Maybe. I had a kale smoothie here and there, but all ingredients were compliant, and it worked for me. 

I didn't have many social engagements, so that helped. 

Love this forum. Reminds me I am not alone. Appreciate everyone's vulnerability and courage to go after self-care and love. Curious to hear about those that are slow-rolling and reintroducing, and it's results.  

On 4/23/2017 at 5:36 AM, bethross said:

How do I post photos on here? It always says failed code 200. The amount of MB is 1.3 and the max is 3.96.

A little late to answer this, but sometimes it's your browser. I have troubles with Safari, but Chrome or Firefox seem to work fine. 

I love this program!!!! No zits when I got my period. Yesterday  I bought 3 pairs of pants without trying them on. Today after wearing one of them for half the day I realized they are a size smaller than I thought. They fit just right!! My nose does not run as much as it did a month ago. 

I'm reintroducing Greek yogurt for breakfast tomorrow morning, and possibly milk with dinner. I've really missed those! As primarily a vegetarian who eats seafood, I've missed beans and hummus, so I'll add those back in once in a while down the road, but for the most part I'm going to stick with the Whole30 meal templates and foods for the next month. This has been a great experience and really made me face my grazing habits. I'd been lulled into thinking that it was OK to graze because it was healthy food! But now I will stick to eating only at meals, unless the snack is a veggie. Kudos to you all for being part of this and being such a supportive group!

Archived